Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think he is waiting  until tampering week, see what else is out there, Hopefully the offers are not that big to persuade him to go elsewhere.

That's how this usually works out.  The Sabres have a value and Skinner has a value.  They tell Skinner go to market and if you can beat it, congratulations.  That's how it should be.

I liked what Skinner brought to the team, but while Skinner is out talking to other teams I am sure the Sabres will be talking to other players.  Players who can replace Skinner.  If he walks, he walks.  If, in the end, he's not replaced then I am fine with that as well.  You can't control where a UFA will sign, the best you can do is offer an over payment and hope for the best. In almost all situations, that ends up being a bad choice on both sides.  A team that may have short term success but then have to find ways to jettison a player and if that short term success doesn't happen, that player got paid but gave up their shot at the Cup.

The right pieces at the right price.  That's how it works.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, split the difference and call it 8x8.5.  Easy peasy.

A dollar more and it’s pretty hard for me to stomach. With a Reinhart extension looming and a lot of enticing free agents, that money might go further elsewhere. 

Edited by #freejame
Autocorrect has no respect for Samson
  • Like (+1) 3

On 3/3/2019 at 6:10 PM, Taro T said:

$8×8 is what I hope the contract would max out at, but expecting $8.5×8.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:52 PM, dudacek said:

This is exactly where I am at too.

Sure, Skinner has leverage but very few teams can offer him an Eichel to play with and no other team can offer him eight years.

And I can’t see any team without an Eichel offering him $8 million. Who has the cap space? Who would pay that much for the 30-goal 50-point man he has been with average centres?

It’s not an absolute slam dunk. I can see the Islanders and Barzal or the Canucks and Pettersen as probably the best bets to be competition. Florida and Colorado have the space and the star centres, but they are budget teams who aren’t going to make him their highest paid player. Rangers? I just can’t see another option for him that makes more sense than us fit-wise or salary-wise.

Buffalo/Skinner is too much of a perfect fit for both sides for them not to work it out. They need each other and they seem to like each other. He will get overpaid. It’s just about both sides determining by how much.

I’m still wth this $8 million is what he should get based on performance, $9 million what he could get based on silly season.

If they each want each other - and it seems they do - $8.5 makes too much sense not to happen.

If this is the deal, they better extend Sam this summer, or they will be paying him buckets next summer after he outscores Jeff by 20 points.

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m still wth this $8 million is what he should get based on performance, $9 million what he could get based on silly season.

If they each want each other - and it seems they do - $8.5 makes too much sense not to happen.

If this is the deal, they better extend Sam this summer, or they will be paying him buckets next summer after he outscores Jeff by 20 points.

Man 8 years is tough to stomach.  Let's hope he stays healthy and keeps his legs into his 30's.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Man 8 years is tough to stomach.  Let's hope he stays healthy and keeps his legs into his 30's.

I agree, although I would be interested to see what type of NTC/NMC is attached to those later years.  That’s as important as an extra $0.5M one way or the other.

7 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

If he wants to go a penny over 8, I only offer 7 x 8.75 and he doesn't get NTC protection. If he agrees to the 8x8 contract, he gets NTC for 5 years and I front load either as much as possible. 

Is it possible to change the length of an NTC?

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Is it possible to change the length of an NTC?

IF you mean after it’s signed by both sides? Then no. Unless the player offers to waive the NTC to allow himself to be moved.

IF you mean if a contract is for 7 years, but the NTC kicks in for years 3 thru 7 ... that scenario happens often with NTC and NMC agreements.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

IF you mean after it’s signed by both sides? Then no. Unless the player offers to waive the NTC to allow himself to be moved.

IF you mean if a contract is for 7 years, but the NTC kicks in for years 3 thru 7 ... that scenario happens often with NTC and NMC agreements.

I meant the latter; thank you!

26 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

8 is about all I can stomach.  Imagine in 5 or 6 years when he is maybe scoring 15-20 goals... it will be another Okposo type deal.  

In 5 or 6 years the cap will be over $100 million and no one will care. Okposo and Moulson deals sucked. Ecuador they never performed up to their cap hit.

long term deals work if the player produces for at least half the deal, preferably two thirds of it.

11 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

If he wants to go a penny over 8, I only offer 7 x 8.75 and he doesn't get NTC protection. If he agrees to the 8x8 contract, he gets NTC for 5 years and I front load either as much as possible. 

I like this idea. If he really wants $9M, then give him close to it, but shorten the length to 6-7 years, which is what he would get if he hits FA. The 8 year deal automatically comes off the table once FA hits. Only elite/franchise players should be given max length contracts. I’m unsure if Skinner fits this criteria.