Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This new notion that every other team finds superstars in rounds 2-7 is laughable. 

First, the numbers show the Sabre’s do quite well in that regard.

Secondly, they have a couple of guys already on or breaking into the roster and as LGRM has pointed out a few times, more on the horizon.

You will all be surprised how much better third and fourth liners look when you actually have two top lines and quality defenseman.

The numbers definitely do not show the Sabres do not do quite well. They’re somewhere in the middle based on something another poster shared.

Not every team is finding great players in those rounds but the ones that are are winning games when it counts.

26 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Interesting that you chose the last 9 years. You know this is all cyclical and a large amount of luck after the first two rounds. One or two players hit and you catapult up the charts.

I will look closer when I get home but I think I can make your charts tell my story. It’s interesting what you can do with numbers,

What years are we supposed to consider? Picks 10+ years ago aren’t doing anything for anyone for this team.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

Saw this take on Twitter last night and I pretty much agree with it.  Paraphrasing.....

Botteril had to know that his best chance of resigning Skinner would be if Skinner meshed with Jack and his production reflected it.  So, he had to know he was trading for a guy whose value would go through the roof if it worked out.  He had to expect that the current level of negotiation was the result if things went as planned.

If he didn't expect this, then the trade was essentially for a rental.  In a bombshell of a season.

Signing or not signing Skinner will be a huge reflection of Botteril's competence.

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Saw this take on Twitter last night and I pretty much agree with it.  Paraphrasing.....

Botteril had to know that his best chance of resigning Skinner would be if Skinner meshed with Jack and his production reflected it.  So, he had to know he was trading for a guy whose value would go through the roof if it worked out.  He had to expect that the current level of negotiation was the result if things went as planned.

If he didn't expect this, then the trade was essentially for a rental.  In a bombshell of a season.

Signing or not signing Skinner will be a huge reflection of Botteril's competence.

This I agree completely with which is why I have been so sure he would sign. In the end, Buffalo will make it happen.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The numbers definitely do not show the Sabres do not do quite well. They’re somewhere in the middle based on something another poster shared.

Not every team is finding great players in those rounds but the ones that are are winning games when it counts.

What years are we supposed to consider? Picks 10+ years ago aren’t doing anything for anyone for this team.

A) I consider in the middle to be pretty good because it really comes down to hitting on one player after the second round. You hit on one and you sky rocket up the ratings.

B) Anytime someone picks a number other then a multiple of 5 or 10 I assume they show that number because it supports their agenda.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Interesting that you chose the last 9 years. You know this is all cyclical and a large amount of luck after the first two rounds. One or two players hit and you catapult up the charts.

I will look closer when I get home but I think I can make your charts tell my story. It’s interesting what you can do with numbers,

you can go back 5 more years and you will find Foligno, Byron, Gerbe, Kaleta and Butler.   Zero home runs but much better than the last 9 which is non-existent.   I selected 9 b/c it covers JB's two draft whihc are Incomplete, three for TM and Darcy's last 4 which were part and parcel why he was fired. 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This is all reasonable...but Eichel is now going into his FIFTH season.  If the Sabres are ever going to build a good team around Eichel, he absolutely needs a high-end winger to play his prime years with.  Skinner was fantastic in that role this year until he hurt his ankle.  He just turned 27 a couple of weeks ago.  He's tough, he's fast and he can score in a bunch of different ways -- including playoff-type goals from the dirty areas.  I think he's pretty much a lock to score 35+ per year for at least the next 5 years. 

Will he continue to deliver at the same level until he's 34?  Probably not, but that's part of the price here.

The Sabres need to keep him.  They can't screw around with this and hope that Olofsson or TT or Nylander magically grows into that role.  And they can't afford the psychological blow that losing him would deliver.

Wowzers.  This is a very bold take.  Those are unrealistic expectations imo.  He's only scored 35+ twice in his whole career.  No way he's a lock to do that the next 5 straight years.  Also, what 'playoff type goals?'  He's never played in a playoff game and his scoring dried up late last season when the Sabres needed him most.

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A) I consider in the middle to be pretty good because it really comes down to hitting on one player after the second round. You hit on one and you sky rocket up the ratings.

B) Anytime someone picks a number other then a multiple of 5 or 10 I assume they show that number because it supports their agenda.

A. I don’t see mediocre to be “really good” but I guess I’ve been around Buffalo sports for a fewer years so my expectations aren’t that skewed yet. ?

B. I went back to the tenth year. It doesn’t change the data. They got McNabb in round three who they traded before he ever did anything here. They got Marcus Foligno in round four who is hot garbage.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll give it 6 months. 

I’d be happy if Dahlin is a superstar this year. I’m not sure he will he just yet.

Just now, Hoss said:

A. I don’t see mediocre to be “really good” but I guess I’ve been around Buffalo sports for a fewer years so my expectations aren’t that skewed yet. ?

B. I went back to the tenth year. It doesn’t change the data. They got McNabb in round three who they traded before he ever did anything here. They got Marcus Foligno in round four who is hot garbage.

Technically doesn't matter where they succeed, just that they do. Foligno would count as a hit. 

Just now, Hoss said:

However, going to only five years probably moves them up to top 5.

Again, the larger point is that at least 90 percent of impact players get drafted in the top two rounds. I was disputing the notion that every successful team finds Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th round!

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

However, going to only five years probably moves them up to top 5.

Again, the larger point is that at least 90 percent of impact players get drafted in the top two rounds. I was disputing the notion that every successful team finds Pavel Datsyuk in the 7th round!

Who have we hit on in the last five years that would catapult us up the rankings? 

Anyway, basically every great team gets major contributions from unexpected places. Maybe not HoFers, but great players nonetheless. I think it's due to random luck more than any measure of GM skill, of course, but I do think it's a reality. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Who have we hit on in the last five years that would catapult us up the rankings? 

Anyway, basically every great team gets major contributions from unexpected places. Maybe not HoFers, but great players nonetheless. I think it's due to random luck more than any measure of GM skill, of course, but I do think it's a reality. 

The top chart includes all rounds so based on the points we got from our guys and eliminating the teams that drafted higher in years 9 through 6 I’m guessing would catapult us up. Again, I’m going kind of blind because the charts blur when I try to enlarge them on my phone.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm concerned even at 8x8.  That's too much for a one-way player.  Let him go to Arizona.

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 7.23.33 PM.png

Edited by Thorny
I mean, he is 7th overall in even-strength goals in last 5 seasons

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

I'm on my work computer, which sux, but is that a flight schedule from BUF to PHX?

It is. Denzel is at the helm, but he's been drinking. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Im going to chock that up to the numbers being skewed by three factors:

the size of the Leafs fanbase and the exposure the franchise gets across Canada

the perception of the state of the Sabres and the inference that Jack is somehow heavily responsible (same for Marner and the Leafs)

the idea that Marner’s 12 more points in five more games is some kind of measuring stick.

I think Marner is a helluva player, but he just doesnt offer everything that Jack does. f you held a secret ballot of NHL GMs I would be shocked if less than 25 of them would rather have Jack.

I agree with this. Eichel has a much higher ceiling than Marner and plays a premium position. That doesn’t mean that right now Marner hasn’t been better though. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, tom webster said:

According to Matt Bove, since 2015, only Kane and Ovechkin have more even strength goals then Skinner.

I think that makes him better then good.

I think that comes from SabresStats on Twitter but still good to remember.