Skinner Contract Watch

WildCard

6 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think Stone and Skinner are the same tier of player, so I wouldn’t say he raised Skinners value too much.

I have a hard time believing Marner won’t get a 7x$10.5 offer sheet or 8x$10 from TO

At this moment, Marner is a better player than Jack so I don’t think it’s too outlandish. Jack still has a higher ceiling and higher floor in my opinion though.

That’s a hard pass for me too. 68 is my ceiling. Anything more and Botts should look offer sheet instead. Making an offer on Tkachuk is difficult without the 3rd and I wouldn’t want to give him more than Eichel so that’s pretty difficult. It was talked about before that we could offer Carolina picks for ours back, but who knows how sweet it would have to be for them to help us. I think Marner is going to be in the $10.5 range, but I’m not sure how Jack would take that. 

He’s asking for 11 million 

Just now, Derrico said:

@nfreeman - Are you saying you would rather give a big 8 year deal to Skinner over Reino?   Usually we're on a similar wave length but I could not disagree more if that's what you are saying.

Yes -- I'd rather give it to Skinner.  As I've posted before, I think goal-scoring is the most valuable skill there is in hockey, and Skinner has tons of it.  He scores in a bunch of different ways.  He's also fast, he plays with an edge and he fits beautifully on Eichel's wing. 

There is a decent chance that Reino proves to be worth more than Skinner, but he's not close to being there yet IMHO.

(BTW, I moved a bunch of the Reino posts to the new Reino thread -- thanks @LGR4GM)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Yes -- I'd rather give it to Skinner.  As I've posted before, I think goal-scoring is the most valuable skill there is in hockey, and Skinner has tons of it.  He scores in a bunch of different ways.  He's also fast, he plays with an edge and he fits beautifully on Eichel's wing. 

There is a decent chance that Reino proves to be worth more than Skinner, but he's not close to being there yet IMHO.

(BTW, I moved a bunch of the Reino posts to the new Reino thread -- thanks @LGR4GM)

Fair.  I can take that conversation over there.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

This wrong based on age alone.  Sam would be much younger than Skinner when the contract begins for both. 

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

But he’s not as good at the thing that wins hockey games.  

While Skinner is a better goal scorer, Sam had just as many points and drives possession by creating plays.  I like Skinner too but the age for the last 3 years of the contract is worrisome.  He could easily fall off a cliff like Moulson and Okposo.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Sam's pretty good at all aspects of the hockey. 

No doubt, but Skinner puts the puck in the net.  

Sam is good and on a team put together by a competent GM (JBOT gets a pass until now) is a second line horror-show for opposing teams, but still... Skinner puts the puck in the net.   

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

No doubt, but Skinner puts the puck in the net.  

Sam is good and on a team put together by a competent GM (JBOT gets a pass until now) is a second line horror-show for opposing teams, but still... Skinner puts the puck in the net.   

You know what helps put the puck in the net? The guy feeding you the puck. Skinner scores more than Reinhart but Reinhart is a more complete player IMPO. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what helps put the puck in the net? The guy feeding you the puck. Skinner scores more than Reinhart but Reinhart is a more complete player IMPO. 

But Skinner puts the puck in the net.  

He’ll be strapped to Jack and get fed like a hippo in a zoo.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating an either/or thing here, Skinner next to Jack plus Sam beneath with (insert competent hockey players here) is a good thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

But Skinner puts the puck in the net.  

He’ll be strapped to Jack and get fed like a hippo in a zoo.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating an either/or thing here, Skinner next to Jack plus Sam beneath with (insert competent hockey players here) is a good thing.  

You keep saying like Reinhart isn't as important to that process. Reinhart had 20 even strength goals last year. Skinner had I think 33, so I get it, he has more. Reinhart had 30 es assists to Skinner's 15, so how do we parse that out? 

Edited by LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You keep saying like Reinhart isn't as important to that process. Reinhart had 20 even strength goals last year. Skinner had I think 33, so I get it, he has more. Reinhart had 30 es assists to Skinner's 15, so how do we parse that out? 

We don’t and keep both in a perfect world.  But having to make Sophie’s choice I’d take Skinner, is all.  (Hoping it doesn’t come to that)

38 minutes ago, freester said:

This wrong based on age alone.  Sam would be much younger than Skinner when the contract begins for both. 

Is every player the same as every other player, with age being the only distinction?

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Is every player the same as every other player, with age being the only distinction?

Sam is younger and hasn't reached his peak yet.  However he still produces more points than Skinner.  8 year contracts are better served by younger players than older players.  Sorry you couldn't follow the age concept.  It is a bit complicated.

6 minutes ago, freester said:

Sam is younger and hasn't reached his peak yet.  However he still produces more points than Skinner.  8 year contracts are better served by younger players than older players.  

This is a huge factor IMO as well. I really, really like Skinner. But I do not relish the idea of any* ~27 y/o winger getting an 8 year deal with the Sabres.

* I'm sure I could dream up a few exceptions. I don't think Skinner's one of them.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

We don’t and keep both in a perfect world.  But having to make Sophie’s choice I’d take Skinner, is all.  (Hoping it doesn’t come to that)

That's fair. I think I fall on the Reinhart side of that spectrum. All the years of defending him have clearly given me a bias. 

• Like (+1) 1