GDT Calgary Flames vs Buffalo Sabres 7pm ET 10/30/2018

jsb

I was there. $14 tix up top on about the 45-yard line. I thought I'd be getting a good look at Rick across the way, but some lights were blocking me.

• The announced crowd of 15,000 and change seemed generous, but I can never remember if that's tickets bought or fannies in the seats. I think it's tickets bought. At least 25% of the crowd was gone by the time the Flames tied it, and more left before overtime. I guess I don't get sitting that long then leaving with minutes left, even on a Tuesday night in October.

• There was a noticeably strong security and police presence in the pavilion.

• I had a serviceable beef on weck, but at $11 bucks I swallowed hard. I almost went into the Picasso's in Hamburg beforehand on Smell's and dark's recommendation, but I had just had two donuts and coffee.

• The crowd was modestly more enthusiastic than at the early Wings game last season that I attended, a similarly low-scoring game. It felt like folks wanted to get into it, but game presentation got into the way at times. A contingent of fans behind the net the Sabres attacked in the first and third had a good Let's Go Buffalo chant going, and just as you heard it picking up around the arena, the organist interrupted. I was looking right at the section, and a bunch of exasperated arms went flying into the air in a mass WTV wave.

• Still, wow, this is tough crowd to impress. Hutton got some nice cheers for fairly routine saves early, but absolutely bupkis for his sprawling stick save. Even later when it was shown again as the Save of the Game, nothing. Bad calls and the troops are what get this crowd going the most.

• Finally heard the Dougie cat calls clearly. OK, they're not booing.

• I thought the DJ and Rich Gaenzler did a really good job in their respective roles. The organist needs to work on his song choices. This Land is My Land? A lot of odd choices for a hockey game.

• Dahlin did not impress. Bogosian did. I was surprised to end up feeling that way.

• The result was fitting. I was certain the Sabres would lose, somehow.

• As certain as my indigestion. The horseradish in Buffalo is murder.

• Like (+1) 6

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Both CGY goals were Risto's fault.  And he was a -2 this game... a MEANINGFUL stat.

WTF is he doing putting his stick in the shot lane that close to the net and that far from the shooter?  Ferking idiot.

And in OT they have a 3 on 2 from their own zone and doesn't make a single pass, turns it over and it results in the game winner for CGY.

If the players are truly hodling each other accountable they better have a long talk with him.

I agree with this. Risto is definitely the weakest link in our defense. And yes, he did directly cost us this game. I've never understood what fans see in him.

I'd like the team to move on from him, if he's continuing terrible play, which he is, get him out of the lineup ASAP. We're trying to build something here.

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree with this. Risto is definitely the weakest link in our defense. And yes, he did directly cost us this game. I've never understood what fans see in him.

I'd like the team to move on from him, if he's continuing terrible play, which he is, get him out of the lineup ASAP. We're trying to build something here.

With 5 years at $5.4 mill cap hit, it ain't gonna be easy unless someone has the concept of Risto is their head.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Baaaah.. sucks waking up to this. 

Seams Risto keeps sucking badly, gotta be a way to turn this dude around, if not send this garbage player away.

A Fin and a Swede playing together, did you really think this was going to mix well???

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Risto shouldn't be out their in OT. It should be Dahlin and Bogo. Yes I said Bogo. 

Be careful the Bunker Boys will come out to get you and they won't be as easy to spot on Halloween Night.

IMHO, Reino was at least as much at fault on the GWG as Risto was.  Risto is supposed to carry the puck in deep during 3-on-3 when he has the opportunity, and his teammates are supposed to back him up.  Risto wiped out in the corner, which was his mistake, but one of the Flames went down with him.  The other Flame took off up the ice, beat Reino and created the 2-on-1.

I've said it before:  Reino's lack of speed makes him a liability in 3-on-3.

While I agree that Dahlin should've been on the ice instead of Risto, I also think Skinner should've been out there with Eichel instead of Reino.

Overall, I thought the game was pretty even in the 1st, Calgary had the better of it in the 2nd and the Sabres foolishly tried to play prevent in the 3rd, with a predictable result.

Hutton was terrific.  The checking line was good again, especially Zemgus, although they had a couple of chances to clear the zone before the GWG and failed to do so.

Disappointing night from the forwards.  I would've liked in particular to have seen more from Skinner and Reino.  And Sheary had the game on his stick in OT.

Even worse, I learned tonight that they could've had Taylor Hall for Risto!

At least they got excellent goaltending again, which should be good for their confidence.  And they got a point against a pretty good team.

Let's see how they bounce back. 

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I had a serviceable beef on weck, but at $11 bucks I swallowed hard.

How much does one expect to pay for beef on weck in Buffalo?  I know looked up Schwabl's and their basic sandwich is almost $10.  $11 for stadium grub doesn't seem that outrageous (I'm sure it's a smaller serving size than Schwabl's and not the same quality, but still $11 doesn't seem too bad.)  Our local Buffalo joint here in Texas also charges $10, and they have a great kimmelweck.

I did watch / listen to the game, nor did I watch the highlights.  I did not read this thread, or any other news regarding the game.  All I know is how it ended up and how it ended up that way.  So, I will try to summarize and can someone confirm.  Thanks.

Hutton being the #1 star must have played very well.

The Flames goalie was not a star, so that tells me that this was not a classic goalie dual to the death.  The Sabres must not have played especially well overall.

To give up a late goal to tie is telling me that the Sabres reverted to 'Alamo mode', at least somewhat.  Terrible.

A loss in OT, at home, after leading late is very bad.

That said, I will take any point the Sabres get, even though my hatred of the loser point is well documented.  I want ties.  I do not like OT and I detest the stupid SO.

Edited by N S
I want to keep Inky happy ... (winkie; winkie)

As for the game.  This is the first game in a while that I was truly disappointed.  It felt like a throwback to last year.  I hope HCPH sees it the same and rubs their noses in it.  They're capable of better, they could have won that game.

Just now, N S said:

To give up a late goal to tie is telling me that the Sabres reverted to 'Alamo mode', at least somewhat.  Terrible.

They were basically in Alamo mode the entire 3rd period.  It was awful.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

As for the game.  This is the first game in a while that I was truly disappointed.  It felt like a throwback to last year.  I hope HCPH sees it the same and rubs their noses in it.  They're capable of better, they could have won that game.

Why do they do this?  It drives me crazy.  And it does not matter who the bloody coach is.

3 minutes ago, N S said:

To loose in OT at home after leading late is very bad.

That said, I will take any point the Sabres get, even though my hatred of the loser point is well documented.  I want ties.  I do not like OT and I detest the stupid SO.

Too loose or To lose would both be correct in this context. Just helping you out Mr. N S

If Sheary scores on a gimme in OT we have a different outcome. Risto wasn't terrible but he always seems to be in the middle of a game blunder for us.

11 minutes ago, N S said:

Why do they do this?  It drives me crazy.  And it does not matter who the bloody coach is.

The middle two lines last night were essentially useless. Jack-Pommers-Skinner were effective, as were Berglund-Girgs-Larsson. But the middle six were just plain bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

Too loose or To lose would both be correct in this context. Just helping you out Mr. N S

If Sheary scores on a gimme in OT we have a different outcome. Risto wasn't terrible but he always seems to be in the middle of a game blunder for us.

Hey don't be uncorrecting my gramatical error correction, eh!!

Inky will be upset with both of us, well maybe just you, as I did see the error of my ways and made ammends.

??

Also, I need to figure out a way to fix my user name.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The middle two lines last night were essentially useless. Jack-Pommers-Skinner were effective, as were Berglund-Girgs-Larsson. But the middle six were just plain bad. 

Then shorten the bench and elimiante as much of the poopie players as possible and go out with guns blazing.  I don't care if they get tired.  Practice this as if it's the playoffs, you know the games that the Sabres have not played in in forever, and shorten the shifts.

/rant ... (maybe)

1 minute ago, N S said:

Then shorten the bench and elimiante as much of the poopie players as possible and go out with guns blazing.  I don't care if they get tired.  Practice this as if it's the playoffs, you know the games that the Sabres have not played in in forever, and shorten the shifts.

/rant ... (maybe)

They actually did shorten the bench. I'm pretty sure the Js and the checking line played the last 3-5 minutes of the game. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Risto shouldn't be out their in OT. It should be Dahlin and Bogo. Yes I said Bogo. 

To piggyback on nfreeman, the opening lineup for the OT was less than inspiring. Based on play in the game, only Jack should have been out there. Well, Mittelstadt wasn't bad, but he's not ready for prime time quite yet.

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

How much does one expect to pay for beef on weck in Buffalo?  I know looked up Schwabl's and their basic sandwich is almost $10.  $11 for stadium grub doesn't seem that outrageous (I'm sure it's a smaller serving size than Schwabl's and not the same quality, but still $11 doesn't seem too bad.)  Our local Buffalo joint here in Texas also charges $10, and they have a great kimmelweck.

I guess. I'm cheap and from the sticks. I wouldn't pay $11 for a dinner at the finest restaurant where I live (Perkins).

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They actually did shorten the bench. I'm pretty sure the Js and the checking line played the last 3-5 minutes of the game. 

Oh, the Js. I wasn't sure where you were going with that against the BJs.

• Haha (+1) 1

I watched the game last night after getting home late and couldn't put my finger on the issue until this morning.  Last night should have been an easy win for the Sabres.  Two similar teams (record wise), one rested and playing at home, the other coming off an tough win the night before on the road.  Sabres should have skated them into the ground and won 4-1.  Instead Calgary dominating in long stretches and only Hutton's stellar play kept this game close.  

So in the end Hutton steals a point for the Sabres and we learn a valuable lesson.  Be prepared every night.  I chalk this game up to a young team still learning to be pros and learning to win.  Next season, if the team's upward trajectory continues, the Sabres win a game like last night easily.  This game also gave Jbot more information on who is part of the problem and who is part of the solution.  Risto continues to struggle.  Dahlin and Casey continue to grow.  (I think Casey is on the verge of breaking out).

I'd say right now our 1st line and 4th line are doing their jobs.  Someone needs to send a search party out for Reinhart.  McCabe's absence for really noticeable as was Erods.

52 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Extend it to the 2nd period even. They kept up in the 1st but Calgary basically uniformly took it to them the rest of the game. 

Agreed that it felt just like last year. 

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Was that a charge?

hockeyhound had the pertinent rule. They could put that in the video rulebook as a classic charge. You don't see it called often; it's kind of an old-timey douchebag play. (On a side note, I saw a deliberate offside called last night!)

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just plain disagree.

And what message was sent, pray tell?

On to Carter Hutton. He came off as a bit of a jerk in his interview. Pretty decent ego there, but I guess you want a confident goalie. But who's he arguing with? Who's been on his case? He's been praised universally, despite less than stellar numbers.

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I guess. I'm cheap and from the sticks. I wouldn't pay $11 for a dinner at the finest restaurant where I live (Perkins).

Gotcha.  I still remember paying $2.15 for the fried baloney lunch special (including drink) at the Forks Hotel next to Cheektowaga Town Hall.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Extend it to the 2nd period even.

I won't argue that.

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

hockeyhound had the pertinent rule. They could put that in the video rulebook as a classic charge. You don't see it called often; it's kind of an old-timey douchebag play. (On a side note, I saw a deliberate offside called last night!)

And what message was sent, pray tell?

On to Carter Hutton. He came off as a bit of a jerk in his interview. Pretty decent ego there, but I guess you want a confident goalie. But who's he arguing with? Who's been on his case? He's been praised universally, despite less than stellar numbers.

For the other team to watch out and for the rest of his own team to wake the F up. Which for all the grousing about how badly we were getting outplayed, the Flames had, I believe, 2 shots on goal from that point on (of course, one was the tying goal, but still.)

I thought Hutton came off as a guy who was f'n pissed off and had to sit answering questions like a gentleman instead of punching a wall which he probably wanted to do.

Edited by SwampD

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

For the other team to watch out and for the rest of his own team to wake the F up. Which for all the grousing about how badly we were getting outplayed, the Flames, had I believe, 2 shots on goal from that point on (of course, one was the tying goal, but still.)

I thought Hutton came off as a guy who was f'n pissed off and had to sit answering questions like a gentleman instead of punching a wall which he probably wanted to do.

I think there are ways for Bogosian to do that without skating from the blue line to the hash marks and hitting someone.

And I think I want Hutton to not know or worry about what Paul Hamilton is saying about him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.