GDT Calgary Flames vs Buffalo Sabres 7pm ET 10/30/2018

jsb

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Although this kinda sucked, it's hard for me to get too upset on a Tuesday in October.

And I'll take 8 out of ten points all day every day.

Yeah.  They were missing 2 important pieces (McCabe & Rodrigues) & accordingly played 1 of their 3 worst games of the season & still stole a point.

Really looking forward to next year.  Mittelstadt & Dahlin will both have about 15#'s added to their frames & at least 2, if not 4-5 of Smith, Pilut, Nylander, Asplund, Guhle, & Olofsson will be up.  Maybe even another FA or mid w0's traded player as well.

All I want from this season is entertainment.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  They stole a point tonight.  And Hutton was entertaining tonight.  Hopefully the rest of them will put on a better show Thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, hockeyhound said:

I'm not sure what to think about this team right now. Part of me says yes they're a different team and they learned from last years mistakes.

However, after watching tonights game you can't help but be concerned.

I want to be optimistic and positive but, these kinds of games just open up old wounds, and leave me scratching my head. Wow.

None the less, Let's Go Buffalo! We're with you during the good, the bad, and the ugly. Go Sabres!

I'm no more concerned after tonight's game than I was screaming "Stanley Cup here we come!" after the LA game.  I'm pretty moderate about this team right now.

Taro T, "Hutton was entertaining tonight"; however, wow, they sure put him in some compromising positions. There were a couple of close calls that I thought that he was going to be injured. I can appreciate the fight this guy has but, they need to protect him a little better. Hutton is definitely a huge upgrade from Lehner, and I can't say enough about the way he moves the puck around, big advantage team Sabres.  

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

size.thumb.JPG.e0b0033aeae02eb19da4249122d8e405.JPG

Blah blah sample size, not trying to predict playoffs here, but this matches up with the pairings and lines that looked the worst. 

How is this relevant? Corsi shots for, shots against, % taken by a team? Sorry not familiar but I'd like to understand where you're going with this.

1 minute ago, hockeyhound said:

How is this relevant? Corsi shots for, shots against, % taken by a team? Sorry not familiar but I'd like to understand where you're going with this.

Risto was shelled today, and the winger swap we've done didn't pay dividends in the shot shares for this team compared to all four lines taking >55% of all shot attempts during the 3 game win streak. 

Ups and downs is what we'll see all season but I'm still not happy with the game tonight. Have my expectations been raised the first 10 games of the season ? Do

I expect more from these guys ? You betcha ! Tonight it felt at times like they were going through the motions. Hopefully they'll learn to be more consistent as the season progresses.

I would just as soon have not said anything about the numbers but they looked pretty funny, the best two lines easily being the ones that are from the set that worked. 

In the language of hockey, the setup we had sandwiched between lines 1-4 could not handle Calgary defensively and could not generate anything when they managed to get the puck out, and Risto got obliterated. 

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would just as soon have not said anything about the numbers but they looked pretty funny, the best two lines easily being the ones that are from the set that worked. 

In the language of hockey, the setup we had sandwiched between lines 1-4 could not handle Calgary defensively and could not generate anything when they managed to get the puck out, and Risto got obliterated. 

That does make sense, Calgary frustrated them all night and forced them to give up the puck earlier than they would've liked. Someone made the comment that the Sabres played like they were on the PK all night. 

One thing is for sure, our PK numbers should look good after tonight.

Edited by hockeyhound

34 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

The thing is.....if we traded Risto for Hall we wouldn't have Dahlin. 

Maybe, maybe not. I can’t 100% guarantee that Dahlin would still be a Sabre and you cannot 100% guarantee he would not be.

It’s another example of GMTM over valuing certain assets and under valuing others and his making decisions leading to this organization being screwed up 

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The source is Natural Stat Trick if that's what you mean. 

I know I'm sinning, because I think single-game-corsi is useless, but other people like it AND it happens to agree with my assessment today so I'll shamelessly flaunt the numbers

I thought Jack Played over 20 , though. Those numbers don't look right.

Is that after 2 periods?

ES?

Both CGY goals were Risto's fault.  And he was a -2 this game... a MEANINGFUL stat.

WTF is he doing putting his stick in the shot lane that close to the net and that far from the shooter?  Ferking idiot.

And in OT they have a 3 on 2 from their own zone and doesn't make a single pass, turns it over and it results in the game winner for CGY.

If the players are truly hodling each other accountable they better have a long talk with him.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

My observations,

new refs called a one sided game.  Calgary used a lot obstruction especially on Jack... 

Sabres were outskated tonight a lot and they missed McCabe... Scandella plays too soft.  Risto was unlucky on the first goal... deflected off his stick and then off the Calgary players stick right up into the top corner...

In OT I don't what the hell he was doing... 

Sabres gave up the blueline way too much and Sabres got lucky on the first non goal call. 

Tage Thompson needs to learn how to play a heavy game... Sam and Sheary looked decent but too small playing together and they missed ERODs aggressiveness...

Two best lines were Eichels and Berglands.  The other two were meh, though because of the penalties, thought the one on Bogo was BS, but could have easily called 5 or 6 on Calgary for holding the stick, tripping and obstruction.

That being said, thought the Sabres overall got out worked and the lack of a consistent forecheck in the corners showed.  Sabres were lucky because of Hutton to come away with a  point.  Sabres need to find another defender, thought Nelson was overmatched physically tonight and the forwards were not skating in their own zone pressuring the puck.  Except the Berglund line and at times the Eichel line.  

Sigh the ups and downs of a young team.  Hope PH makes them do wind sprints tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, hockeyhound said:

Taro T, "Hutton was entertaining tonight"; however, wow, they sure put him in some compromising positions. There were a couple of close calls that I thought that he was going to be injured. I can appreciate the fight this guy has but, they need to protect him a little better. Hutton is definitely a huge upgrade from Lehner, and I can't say enough about the way he moves the puck around, big advantage team Sabres.  

Well, had they won, would've given him all 3 stars.  Not sure that Bogosian & Scandella tried to get assists on Calgary goals, but each of the other 4 definitely made "Housley specials" during this one.  Hutton definitely deserved better & agree that they need to do a better job of not letting him get run over as well.

Wasn't ecstatic about the signing when FA opened, but it was even better than the Skinner signing.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jack will never be confused with Bergeron, but I thought he led tonight. He was backchecking like a fiend. Good work Jack.

Hopefully the wrist doesn't act up on him tomorrow.  He crashed into the boards hard backchecking in the 2nd & had some issues holding the stick after that for a couple of shifts.

Minus the opener & one of the other L's have really liked his game this season.

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

My observations,

new refs called a one sided game.  Calgary used a lot obstruction especially on Jack... 

Sabres were outskated tonight a lot and they missed McCabe... Scandella plays too soft.  Risto was unlucky on the first goal... deflected off his stick and then off the Calgary players stick right up into the top corner...

In OT I don't what the hell he was doing... 

Sabres gave up the blueline way too much and Sabres got lucky on the first non goal call. 

Tage Thompson needs to learn how to play a heavy game... Sam and Sheary looked decent but too small playing together and they missed ERODs aggressiveness...

Two best lines were Eichels and Berglands.  The other two were meh, though because of the penalties, thought the one on Bogo was BS, but could have easily called 5 or 6 on Calgary for holding the stick, tripping and obstruction.

That being said, thought the Sabres overall got out worked and the lack of a consistent forecheck in the corners showed.  Sabres were lucky because of Hutton to come away with a  point. Sabres need to find another defender, thought Nelson was overmatched physically tonight and the forwards were not skating in their own zone pressuring the puck.  Except the Berglund line and at times the Eichel line.  

Sigh the ups and downs of a young team.  Hope PH makes them do wind sprints tomorrow.

Well, at some point between December 1 & the end of February, they'll bring Pilut up and he'll be an upgrade over either Nelson or Beaulieu depending upon which side they want to keep Dahlin on (and maybe one or 2 others in the rotation if they don't pick their play up).  Could definitely seeing him on the 2nd pairing by the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, at some point between December 1 & the end of February, they'll bring Pilut up and he'll be an upgrade over either Nelson or Beaulieu depending upon which side they want to keep Dahlin on (and maybe one or 2 others in the rotation if they don't pick their play up).  Could definitely seeing him on the 2nd pairing by the end of the season.

Hell even Redmond along with Pilut would be better than Scandella and Nelson...  Scandella looks like he is playing hurt, shoulder maybe not sure what little he played with has been long gone this season.  Tage needs to learn to be physical as well.  Mitts looking better, but even he needs to learn to be more aggressive. 

6 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Hell even Redmond along with Pilut would be better than Scandella and Nelson...  Scandella looks like he is playing hurt, shoulder maybe not sure what little he played with has been long gone this season.  Tage needs to learn to be physical as well.  Mitts looking better, but even he needs to learn to be more aggressive. 

Redmond is NOT an NHLer.  Scandella might be playing hurt; he definitely isn't playing like he did the last 60 games of last season.

I'm not as down on Nelson as the rest here are, but he absolutely has a ceiling of a 6 which means he has issues playing w/ a 7 (such as Beaulieu).  Thing is, Dahlin will be even better next year, Pilut WILL be ready for NHL action & Guhle will likely be ready as well.  So, Nelson will be a 6 or 7 and will be fine.  Even if somebody gets traded out, he'll still only be used as a 6 (at least while Bogosian isn't Nogo).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.