Excitement Level For This Season!

GASabresIUFAN

Aside from the point about Dahlin, I think the reason I feel such a strong level of excitement for the Sabres right now is that it seems we are reaching a tipping point, or a critical mass, of sorts, of young talent. To me, this is more rooted in logic than hope. I know we all feel like we've been here before, but I cannot recall a time when the Sabres had both this level of quality and quantity with regards to young players, all attempting to make their mark at the same time. 

We have two guys, in Dahlin and Mittelstadt, who are consistently finding themselves ranked at #1, and #3-#5, respectively, in prospect lists. Not even circa-2015 Eichel and Reinhart achieved that, and that touches on a key point: Unlike when we added those two, we are adding Dahlin and Mittelstadt to a young core that has players of Jack and Sam's quality already included.

And the quantity: We don't need all of Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, Thompson, Asplund, Olofsson, Davidsson, Ristolainen, Guhle, Borgen, Ullmark, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and those 3 first round picks next draft to become impact players, but with that many chips in play, some will. And a couple already have. There is just too much quantity there, with legitimate actual NHL players supplying competition/assistance/leadership (Skinner, Sheary, Okposo, Berglund, Scandella, Hutton) for me to not see a turning point quickly approaching. 

Maybe it'll all be for not, again, but it doesn't seem that way this time. 

EDIT - Post pending @inkman proof-read. ?

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Aside from the point about Dahlin, I think the reason I feel such a strong level of excitement for the Sabres right now is that it seems we are reaching a tipping point, or a critical mass, of sorts, of young talent. To me, this is more rooted in logic than hope. I know we all feel like we've been here before, but I cannot recall a time when the Sabres had both this level of quality and quantity with regards to young players, all attempting to make their mark at the same time. 

We have two guys, in Dahlin and Mittelstadt, who are consistently finding themselves ranked at #1, and #3-#5, respectively, in prospect lists. Not even circa-2015 Eichel and Reinhart achieved that, and that touches on a key point: Unlike when we added those two, we are adding Dahlin and Mittelstadt to a young core that has players of Jack and Sam's quality already included.

And the quantity: We don't need all of Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, Thompson, Asplund, Olofsson, Davidsson, Ristolainen, Guhle, Borgen, Ullmark, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and those 3 first round picks next draft to become impact players, but with that many chips in play, some will. And a couple already have. There is just too much quantity there, with legitimate actual NHL players supplying competition/assistance/leadership (Skinner, Sheary, Okposo, Berglund, Scandella, Hutton) for me to not see a turning point quickly approaching. 

Maybe it'll all be for not, again, but it doesn't seem that way this time. 

EDIT - Post pending @inkman proof-read. ?

Agreed. 

Thanks GA for starting this with a lot of solid reasoning around the changes that have been made.  JBOT sure did not stand pat with more of the same and really went all in on his promise that change was coming. The pipeline looks flush with potential again after looking decimated just 2 years ago by TM. 

The area's a few of you have pointed out like goal tending, youth getting experience, coaching and how quickly they can jell as a team can take what should be good into legendary aka your braves analogy. 

As NS points hope Hope is a great thing and it really is easier when they provide enough reasons to have it.   

Take a deep breath,  smell that ? its' hockey and it smells like its coming back to Buffalo... Can't wait to see what it looks like.. 

Agreed with all the positivity... still holding my breath, but to think Nylander may have finally turned a corner, Borgen looks bigger and tougher than I realized... Bogo replacement should/when he gets hurt.  The winger additions of Sheary, Skinner and the development of Oloffson and CJ Smith... Asplund need I say more and depth on D including Pilut and a developing Laksonnen even Rochester should have a very good year even if the Sabres have to call up a few players.   Bottom six guys need to bring their A games every night or they could be sitting quickly.  Housley no longer has to think about it, just make a call because the developing guys are close and ready for action... Nice to actually think this way even if it is for a few minutes.   Get Sam signed and I will relax a bit.  Can't wait to hear the home town do the count 1,2,3,4,5.... we want 6. 

I said last year that I've made another team "my team" and that this team and the Sabres are like 1A and 1B. I'm being cautiously optimistic about this year. But, I've been let down so many times between the Sabres and Bills that I'm just not putting my fandom towards the Sabres onto another level until they can prove to me that they can compete and they actually give a damn. The Panthers were my 2nd team for years before I made them 1B. But when I watched them in the years when they sucked, they at least played like they cared. They reminded me of Nolan's team, his 2nd time around. No talent, but a lot of heart. I don't mind watching a talentless team if they play with heart. This team over the last several years has had no heart, and it's painful to watch. At this point, if the Panthers and Sabres play on the same night, I just might tune into the Panthers. And maybe watch the Sabres game afterwards if I'm still awake. 

Still a big fan, but I've lost all patience. 

In my opinion, Dale Tallon is 10X the GM that Botterill is, and Boogie is 10X the head coach that Housley is. I can say the same for Spuddy Gallant, and I have many times over the last few years. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'm at around 4 of 10, but I think that says more about me than the team. I'm considering cancelling NTL.tv since I just don't see myself watching enough to make it worthwhile.

Understandable, but I would just urge you to consider that there is a real likelihood (25%? 50%? 95%?) that Dahlin will deliver a mini-masterpiece pretty much every night.  

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Understandable, but I would just urge you to consider that there is a real likelihood (25%? 50%? 95%?) that Dahlin will deliver a mini-masterpiece pretty much every night.  

That is literally the only reason I'm conflicted. I'd cancel and maybe do a mid-season deal otherwise.

JJ, I understand having a second team and the lack of patience.  I’ve been a Sabres fan since year one and I rooted for the Trashers when they were here (talk about a gluten for punishment).  I now watch a lot of Preds games because they are on local TV.  

However the comparison between Tallon and Jbot is a little pre-mature.  Tallon has 20 years experience as a GM to Jbot’s 2.  In Jbot’s short tenure has has completely rebuilt the depth in the organization that TM had stripped to the bone.  

20 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

Have some fiber or something, lighten up.  I can't be excited about the successes that Nylander and Asplund had in the tournament?  One is finally showing the skill and play that we have been hoping for and the other is showing signs that he could be ready earlier.  Does it mean that it will translate into the season, maybe not, but it's something to have some excitement over after having a bare cupboard in Roc under GMTM.

Love the enthusiasm, I just can't muster any. I guess maybe it's my modus operandi. The kids do show promise but I dont have faith in Housley or the big club yet. I desperately want them to prove me wrong.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Love the enthusiasm, I just can't muster any. I guess maybe it's my modus operandi. The kids do show promise but I dont have faith in Housley or the big club yet. I desperately want them to prove me wrong.

Mostly the same for me.  I’m still in show me first mode.

I'm not sure what show me first even means?  Our potential for hope is in teenagers, early 20 year olds, 3 first round picks next year and nearly 30 mil and 50 mil in cap space the next two years.  If you're not excited about the state of the Sabres then you are holding yourself hostage to the past.  

The situation we're in comes around only a few times in a sports fans life.  Let go, enjoy the team being built and realize that unless something catastrophic happens we're going to be good.  It's only a question of will it be good enough to win the cup.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

I'm not sure what show me first even means?  Our potential for hope is in teenagers, early 20 year olds, 3 first round picks next year and nearly 30 mil and 50 mil in cap space the next two years.  If you're not excited about the state of the Sabres then you are holding yourself hostage to the past.  

The situation we're in comes around only a few times in a sports fans life.  Let go, enjoy the team being built and realize that unless something catastrophic happens we're going to be good.  It's only a question of will it be good enough to win the cup.  

We are talking about this year right?

I'm as excited as ever, the question really is ....will we be let down yet again!!!!

I don't think a cup is within reach but, wildcard a possibility.

12 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

We are talking about this year right?

I'm as excited as ever, the question really is ....will we be let down yet again!!!!

I don't think a cup is within reach but, wildcard a possibility.

My point was this year shouldn't be the show me year.   It's unreasonable to expect more than a small step forward this year and to attach the future to it.  

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

The bolded could be said any of the last few years. Sabres, show me this year is different.

10 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The bolded could be said any of the last few years. Sabres, show me this year is different.

Patently false.  

I get what we've been through and it can beat you down and remove hope.  I totally understand/respect those that want to reserve judgment (still love the team) but want results before they get excited.  However to say that we've had young players like this before is incorrect.  

I am curious more than excited. I am glad we added 2 legit left wings. I am glad we added Dahlin. I am glad we added other players to bolster depth and push guys. I am glad our draft picks are also pushing. But can Casey and Berglund play center well enough this year or will we have 1 scoring line and 3 lines getting pinned in their own end. 

Are we going to win it all?  No.  OBVIOUSLY HELL YEAH WE ARE

But it's a brand new team.  Lots of stuff to watch.  New goaltending, new defense, new top six, new bottom six.  New scoring winger, new prospect wingers, new grindy wingers, new center(s), #1 overall D man in years and he's like five years old, new #6-7 D on the team.  If you're not excited by the new stuff, you might at least be intrigued by it.  Interesting season coming up.

And I like hockey, so just going from offseason to regular season, I'm already at half-chub.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

My point was this year shouldn't be the show me year.   It's unreasonable to expect more than a small step forward this year and to attach the future to it.  

IMO it's not unreasonable to expect more than "a small step forward".

We added some serious skilled scoring to our top 6 and veteran leadership with scoring potential to our bottom 6 and have several depth players pushing most of them to play to potential or else. Then add in the changes/upgrades at D and in goal and it should not unreasonable to expect more. You could also add in the "new attitude" along with being in the 2nd year with coaching staff/system.

Just being exciting to watch and putting in the effort would be considered more than a small step forward IMO.

There have been many very needed and serious changes to the roster.  It will take time to come together.

At the end of this season I think it is reasonable and probable that we will say this was the year that the Sabres turned the corner and began the climb back up from below rock bottom.  And we will really know if JBOT knows what he is doing and if Housley is going to be the coach for a real run at it in a few years.

The End.

By:  NS

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.