Excitement Level For This Season!

GASabresIUFAN

We added speed, even strength scoring and depth up front.

We changed both goalies.

We have what is reputed to be the best prospect pool in the NHL pushing for spots, including the best prospect in years in our position of greatest weakness.

And we have turned over literally half the room in a summer dedicated to changing the culture.

Your degree of excitement depends on your opinion of how effective those moves were, but you'd have to be completely numb as a Sabres fan not to be interested.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

IMO it's not unreasonable to expect more than "a small step forward".

We added some serious skilled scoring to our top 6 and veteran leadership with scoring potential to our bottom 6 and have several depth players pushing most of them to play to potential or else. Then add in the changes/upgrades at D and in goal and it should not unreasonable to expect more. You could also add in the "new attitude" along with being in the 2nd year with coaching staff/system.

Just being exciting to watch and putting in the effort would be considered more than a small step forward IMO.

I like your optimism.  I think we're better but we lost scoring in ROR and Kane.  Skinner and Sheary mitigate those losses and are better fits.  I think we can win 10 more games and possibly a bit more if we convert a few of those OT losses to wins if we get better goaltending.  I'd be pleasantly surprised if we became a .500 team but I imagine we'd fall short of that.  I'd consider 35-37-10 a good season.  

We have a ways to go but we have a lot of assets and cap room.  I think we're a playoff contender in 2019 and ready to make some noise in 2020.  

2 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

I like your optimism.  I think we're better but we lost scoring in ROR and Kane.  Skinner and Sheary mitigate those losses and are better fits.  I think we can win 10 more games and possibly a bit more if we convert a few of those OT losses to wins if we get better goaltending.  I'd be pleasantly surprised if we became a .500 team but I imagine we'd fall short of that.  I'd consider 35-37-10 a good season.  

We have a ways to go but we have a lot of assets and cap room.  I think we're a playoff contender in 2019 and ready to make some noise in 2020.  

Isn't that really 35-47? A 42% win percentage would be a big disappointment.

Edited by inkman

I get it conservative optimism, you and many others are totally justified to feel that way based on this teams performance over the last several years. 

I also have been let down by them consistently for a very long time.  

However IKP, GA., The Dude(Duda.. thats you) have it right. As a fan given the seismic changes that have occurred and so many positive I can't help but be interested in seeing how this starts to work out. As a long time follower I know it hasn't looked this promising in a very long time. 

❤️ Hockey. 

Starting to really enjoy this thread -- nice job GA.

One thing I'm starting to appreciate more as I think about it more is that it was a pretty strong move to go out and get Skinner, who turned 26 in May, is really fast, has plenty of finish and passing skills and is in his contract year.  Even if they don't keep him, I think he is going to be on Eichel's line, and that line is going to be high octane and productive.

I don't think Skinner and Sheary quite fill O'Reilly and Kane's scoring and other assets, However, the other additions we make more than cover them. You also have to consider any upgrades that came from the trades such as Berglund/Sobotka and Casey's replacement  of O'Reilly. Thompson looks like he can help out scoring too. Do we get 2nd half Sam? The Dahlin effect offensively? Does Jack break out to the top of the league with wingers now?

It's like we have an army of guys to take up the slack for Ryan and Evander, we just need it all to come together.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don't think Skinner and Sheary quite fill O'Reilly and Kane's scoring and other assets, However, the other additions we make more than cover them. You also have to consider any upgrades that came from the trades such as Berglund/Sobotka and Casey's replacement  of O'Reilly. Thompson looks like he can help out scoring too. Do we get 2nd half Sam? The Dahlin effect offensively? Does Jack break out to the top of the league with wingers now?

It's like we have an army of guys to take up the slack for Ryan and Evander, we just need it all to come together.

I'm an optimistic fan - you have me beat by a country mile.  Hey maybe you're right and we're in the playoffs this year.   I can't get there.

Edited by 7+6=13

I'm always excited when the hockey season is about to start. I'm also very optimistic that the tank years and their after effects are over. Playoffs, I'm not sure but a much better product on the ice will happen and I think more than a couple of people will be surprised at Berglund and Sobotka, they are not Girgs and Larry. They are legitimate NHL players we've added to the bottom 6 and when injuries occur at least not to our star players, we have prospects down on the farm to take their place without a monstrous drop off in talent. 

Hold on to your hats boys and girls this will be the first time in quite a while that we have a real NHL team to watch and cheer for plus with Skinner, Eichel, Casey and Dahlin there'll be more jump out of your skin moments to cheer for also. Great year I don't know but I'm not jaded enough to not be able to really enjoy some talent on the ice coming from our boys for a change.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm looking forward to us playing with speed on (almost) all lines because of the new players (Sheary, Skinner, Dahlin) and everyone else having the system ingrained for an entire season. And the players who aren't the fleetest of skate (Okposo, Reinhart, Berglund) are savvy enough to play fast with their hockey brains to make up for it. This spells bad news for Bailey's chances, though.

What I'm realizing is that I have to do a lot of research into The Last Jedi, Solo, and the conclusion of Rebels to make satisfying quotes/references that reach all audiences. "There's too many of them!" (meaning films and tv shows for me to keep up on. C'mon Disney, I'm not a kid anymore! I'm responsible these days.)

Edited by DarthEbriate

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

IMO it's not unreasonable to expect more than "a small step forward".

We added some serious skilled scoring to our top 6 and veteran leadership with scoring potential to our bottom 6 and have several depth players pushing most of them to play to potential or else. Then add in the changes/upgrades at D and in goal and it should not unreasonable to expect more. You could also add in the "new attitude" along with being in the 2nd year with coaching staff/system.

Just being exciting to watch and putting in the effort would be considered more than a small step forward IMO.

Pretty sure this will be quibbling semantics but IMHO an EXPECTATION of more than a "small step" forward this year is unrealistic, but a hope for one isn't.

There are so many new pieces to fit together.  We likely will only have a single returning D pair (which actually IS a good thing), no returning F lines, & effectively 2 new goalies.  Getting to uppper 80's & being able to compete with (though not necessarily beat) everyone is realistic but it is (at least IMHO) only a small step forward because this team should not have been as awful as they were.  Getting into low 90's is possible though not if they can't gel early.  

Playoffs aren't out of the question & would be a huge step forward but, again IMHO, can't be expected at this point.  (Though boy, would that ever be sweet.)

And, before we expect a bigger step forward, can they beat the Bruins in the opener so they can be above 0.500 at least ONCE this 1/2 decade?  That would also be sweet.

Edited by Taro T

I am very optimistic that we can be the Colorado and New Jersey surprise of 18-19.  A lot of one goal losses and shoot out wins going our way this year.

I am looking at a 42-30-10 season  for 94 points. 

Wins in last two games against Ottawa and Detroit ties us with Florida for last wild card. Sabres get in on tie breaker.

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I am very optimistic that we can be the Colorado and New Jersey surprise of 18-19.  A lot of one goal losses and shoot out wins going our way this year.

I am looking at a 42-30-10 season  for 94 points. 

Wins in last two games against Ottawa and Detroit ties us with Florida for last wild card. Sabres get in on tie breaker.

Why not the Knights? ?

14 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Why not the Knights? ?

I am optimistic as well and hope for the playoffs.

The Knights are an example of why our roster turnover can work. Most of those guys had never played together before, yet became a team in short order. Their effort level for the entire season was incredible and they played the underdog card to perfection.

I believe their coach had a lot to do with their success.

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I love that we may have a legit top 6 for once and 2 superstars on the team.....1 of which is not even in the top 6. If Hutton is legit, we may just have something here.

And if Nylander actually turns into something, well then

Hutton & Ullmark both looked very good on day 1.  Very few pucks got past either.  But not sure that means they will actually play very well when in real game action.  The other 4 guys were a clear step (or 3 steps in Johansson's case) behind those 2 & may have unduly influenced the impression.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.