Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I find this news weird and somewhat troubling. What does it say if a number means that much to a player? Is Eichel the jello-brainiest Sabre since "Zen master" Millsie?

I keep thinking the franchise has bottomed out.

You’re trying too hard with this one. 

And why $49 for showing up with a #15 jersey? That’s a random amount. 

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

You’re trying too hard with this one. 

And why $49 for showing up with a #15 jersey? That’s a random amount. 

What's Eichel saying here? He's not happy with how he's played as 15? He'll play better as 9? I find it all pretty weird.Thinking even harder: Eichel had to steal a little thunder from 26?

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What's Eichel saying here? He's not happy with how he's played as 15? He'll play better as 9? I find it all pretty weird.Thinking even harder: Eichel had to steal a little thunder from 26?

Maybe he just wanted 9 and now it’s available? I’m sure he’s not happy with the overall results with the team while he’s worn 15. I’m certain he’ll play better as 9(only because he’s one year wiser). It may be wierd to you, but that’s ok(neither you or I are in Jack’s shoes). Thinking even harder than harder: Eichel took a number he’s always wanted and assumed 26 had the maturity to not assume that it was a slight.

Good theory though.

Keep at those deep thoughts. They’re handy.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jack's comments on it could definitely be construed in an alarming way, but it's hard to actually believe that wasn't just his best attempt at answering a question someone asked him with more than a boring "I like this number, now it's available, who cares."

And the fact is- as nice as it is to have some polished, always-says-the-right-thing-on-camera guy, Jack is not that. But he is genuine. That's what people will notice, and that's what makes a leader people can get behind. There will be more gaffes and cringe-worthy moments, but at the end of the day, there won't be any loss of "passion for the game" ?

5 hours ago, Ogre said:

Maybe he just wanted 9 and now it’s available? I’m sure he’s not happy with the overall results with the team while he’s worn 15. I’m certain he’ll play better as 9(only because he’s one year wiser). It may be wierd to you, but that’s ok(neither you or I are in Jack’s shoes). Thinking even harder than harder: Eichel took a number he’s always wanted and assumed 26 had the maturity to not assume that it was a slight.

Good theory though.

Keep at those deep thoughts. They’re handy.

Jack Handy?

If you think it's odd or alarming for a player to care about a number, then you haven't played enough sports.  Not saying everyone in sports is focused on numbers, but on every team that I've been involved with, there was lots of number-loving going on.  Guys had favorite numbers, lucky numbers, sentimental numbers, etc, and would be disappointed to not get the one(s) they wanted.  Nine, in particular, has always been a popular number, for some reason.  In high school, when a guy on a team who wore 9 graduated, it was always snatched up first the next season.  In short, it's totally normal.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You should take the easy route. He’s annoyed at the fans so he wants to screw over as many as possible. Basically he’s trolling he people of buffalo. 

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Stop thinking so hard.  There isn't some mysterious conspiracy behind every action.  9 is available.  He likes it better.

Here's your answer:

Jack is just a Beatles fan.

Edited by Doohickie

Professional sports players are cerebral types. What's going on in their heads is as important as what's going on with their bodies. If Eichel feels more comfortable in 9 he should take it.

Some players have other ways they feel comfortable and don't care about a number, but they absolutely have something you'd find equally silly if they were entirely open books. If walking into the locker room and seeing #9 Eichel in his locker makes any difference for Eichel I've got absolutely no problem with it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to click on any of the twitter links people post here. When I select it, the dialogue just disappears. I had the same issue on TSW, but always supposed it was just because I wasn't a member

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jack's comments on it could definitely be construed in an alarming way, but it's hard to actually believe that wasn't just his best attempt at answering a question someone asked him with more than a boring "I like this number, now it's available, who cares."

I think I missed the comments. I saw a statement where he said the number nine is a big part of who he is as a person, in addition to as an athlete. Again, odd.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to click on any of the twitter links people post here. When I select it, the dialogue just disappears. I had the same issue on TSW, but always supposed it was just because I wasn't a member

Works okay for me.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I missed the comments. I saw a statement where he said the number nine is a big part of who he is as a person, in addition to as an athlete. Again, odd.

Odd to you maybe.  I'm struggling to understand why you think so.  I think you're overanalyzing.

Edited by Doohickie

28 minutes ago, WildCard said:

No one has ever complained about his to me. And trust me - I would have heard it from over there if this was a wide spread issue. 

I don’t know what you mean when you say the “dialogue just disappears”. 

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That's what I'm talking about I think. I read that before it was even discussed here and thought "he sure didn't try too hard with that platitude."

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It is odd.  But I suspect high end professional athletes are an odd sort in general.

so, no alarm bells here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.