Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I really wish they didn’t retire numbers so easily. 11 and 39 should be the only retired numbers for this franchise.

Goalies should wear 1, defencemen 2-6, forwards 7-18, anyone can have 19-29, numbers above 30 are for backup goalies and minor league call ups.

Get off my lawn.

I agree completely with the first part. Certainly not with the second.

53 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

[Enego Montoya voice]: I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I can’t think of a less cerebral cohort of people than pro athletes.

It means exactly what I think it means. I know we all want to think they’re just dumb gladiators but that’s not the case.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It means exactly what I think it means. I know we all want to think they’re just dumb gladiators but that’s not the case.

I gave up thinking that a long time ago. 'Athletes should just stick to sports' is one of the dumbest things going 

Jersey number changes (without changing teams) I can think of:

- Jochen Hecht from 71 to 55

- Jordan to 45 (12 doesn’t count, wasn’t his choice)

- Kobe to 24

- Amar’e Stoudemire to 1

- Arvidsson to 33

- Bobby Ryan from 6 to 9

- Maurice Rocket Richard 15 to 9 after 2 years

- Adrian Peterson tried changing to 24 with the Vikings but gave up when the league tried charging him $1 million

Theres an endless number of players who have paid for jersey numbers. It’s not odd. We’re just programmed to find the worst even when there is none.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

That’s not a paradigm I’m proposing (cerebrals/dumb gladiators).

They may have lots of thoughts about many things (such as the number they want to wear) and they may even veer into being head cases at times, but pro athletes, as a cohort, are far from cerebral.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

True occasionally you get an Alan Page, Rosie Greer,  John Scott etc but by and  large you end up with a Jim Kelly, a Jerry Korab and a Rasmus Ristolainin.

And that latter group are Albert Einsteins compared to, say, a Ray Borque. Holy moley, that guy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Regardless, players change numbers. For whatever reason they do it, I don't get the compulsion to psychoanalyze it. These guys don't shave during the playoffs, won't wash their gear out of superstition, have an identical game day routine right down to music, etc. The number is just another on the list of things that are weird, but overall not worth thinking much about.

Wouldn't all or most of that argue for the oddity of Eichel changing his number? I can't get past the curiosity of what Eichel thinks the change is going to do for his game.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

- Kobe to 24

- Amar’e Stoudemire to 1

- Arvidsson to 33

- Bobby Ryan from 6 to 9

- Adrian Peterson tried changing to 24 with the Vikings but gave up when the league tried charging him $1 million

Theres an endless number of players who have paid for jersey numbers. It’s not odd. We’re just programmed to find the worst even when there is none.

So... no real precedent for what Eichel is doing? Thanks.

• spndnchz featured and unfeatured this topic
12 hours ago, Hoss said:

- Kobe to 24

- Amar’e Stoudemire to 1

- Arvidsson to 33

- Bobby Ryan from 6 to 9

A few more '90's Sabres # changes.

Peca & May swapped 10 & 27.

Zhitnik went to 44 from 4 because he thought he was having bad luck w/ 4.

Hannan moved to 17 from 14 when the full French Connection went up into the rafters.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think Eichel thinks it'll actually change his game, he just says the first thing that comes into his head when people ask why he switched to a number he likes better when it becomes available. 

He didn't say he thought his game would improve, but why else would a superstitious hockey player who's happy with his game change his number?

Just now, PASabreFan said:

He didn't say he thought his game would improve, but why else would a superstitious hockey player who's happy with his game change his number?

Because a number he likes better, and wanted in the first place but it was already taken, just became available. 

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Was he happy with his game?

If he was happy with it, could he still not want to improve?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Wouldn't all or most of that argue for the oddity of Eichel changing his number? I can't get past the curiosity of what Eichel thinks the change is going to do for his game.

So... no real precedent for what Eichel is doing? Thanks.

As mentioned, the Russian Rocket. Pretty comparable, a pretty good precedent. Switched from #10 to number 96 after 4 NHL seasons. Still with the Canucks at the time. 

Of course, Bure switch back to 10 after two injury riddled seasons donning 96. So hopefully Jack's history diverges from Bure's at this point. ?

Edited by Thorny

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

I really wish they didn’t retire numbers so easily. 11 and 39 should be the only retired numbers for this franchise.

Goalies should wear 1, defencemen 2-6, forwards 7-18, anyone can have 19-29, numbers above 30 are for backup goalies and minor league call ups.

Get off my lawn.

The Knights should've used Roman numerals instead of numbers (Arabic).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.