Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's too simple.  Where's the Illuminati?  The Space Lizards?

Yeah, I'm the crazy one. Terry didn't buy the Sabres to run them into the ground in order to force a proud hockey base to switch to the Beauts, knowing that women's hockey is the wave of the future, what with men about to relegated to manual labor and stud duty in a society controlled by Females.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If Eichel had scored 50 goals last year, you think he'd be switching numbers?

Maybe. Impossible to know. But if he is trying to grab on to some cosmic juju, then, I say, go for it Jack. I want to see more goals.

Still trying to figure out what the big deal is. If he likes number nine, and it is now available, and he wants to wear it, he should wear it.

On 7/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, PASabreFan said:

I think I missed the comments. I saw a statement where he said the number nine is a big part of who he is as a person, in addition to as an athlete. Again, odd.

The number Pi is a big part of who I am, in addition to as an mediocre quality member of this board. It's not odd though, it's irrational.

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yeah, I'm the crazy one. Terry didn't buy the Sabres to run them into the ground in order to force a proud hockey base to switch to the Beauts, knowing that women's hockey is the wave of the future, what with men about to relegated to manual labor and stud duty in a society controlled by Females.

wut.

39 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Maybe. Impossible to know. But if he is trying to grab on to some cosmic juju, then, I say, go for it Jack. I want to see more goals.

Still trying to figure out what the big deal is. If he likes number nine, and it is now available, and he wants to wear it, he should wear it.

The problem lies with all the fans who saw him sign a long term contract and invested in jerseys thinking it would be his number for a long time. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The problem lies with all the fans who saw him sign a long term contract and invested in jerseys thinking it would be his number for a long time. 

Their jerseys are still good.

I know I won't judge them.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

*aroused*

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If I had to guess, I would say yes.  However, as Swamp said, we can't know.  Maybe he would be superstitious and think 15 brought him good mojo*.  Other than that, though, the "I've always worn 9 when I could, because it's my favorite number, and it's now available, so I want to wear it" rationale is ... well ... rational.

* Note: 50 goals is a monster season, literally twice what he had last year.  Would 30 be enough for the "mojo" argument? 40?  Don't know, but I do know 50 is extreme.

Edited by carpandean

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No.  Because the way Kane was stapled to his hip early in the season, he would necessarily have been having a career year of his own & would have been worth that contract he signed in SJ to the Sabres & 9 wouldn't have been available to Eichel.

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I think I understand where you're going with that. I think.

OTOH, you *were* the lone voice here raising a distant early warning of Pegula having latent political aspirations of some kind -- likely not as a candidate (which would require him to speak), but perhaps as a kingmaker.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think I understand where you're going with that. I think.

OTOH, you *were* the lone voice here raising a distant early warning of Pegula having latent political aspirations of some kind -- likely not as a candidate (which would require him to speak), but perhaps as a kingmaker.

Soooo, if she wins,... Housley has well past December?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

You guys act like you've never read a post from PA before.  It's amazing how this game plays out the same exact way every time.

And that's not my fault. I have no idea what Smell is going on about.

I think Eichel's number switch, after three pretty good years, is weird. It makes me worry about him.

Now someone can call me a troll and I'll get blamed or fingered as a conspiracy nut.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I think Eichel's number switch, after three pretty good years, is weird. It makes me worry about him.

Now someone can call me a troll and I'll get blamed or fingered as a conspiracy nut.

Yes you do, or reasonably readily could - don't be obtuse. 

Also, this strikes me as objectively unreasonable. (I'm not saying there's no reason to worry about Eichel. Maybe there is. But this number stuff isn't among the reasons.)

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No, you're just our crazy drunken uncle.  Everyone should know how to treat him at this point.

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't think you are trolling or are wearing a tin foil hat, I just think that worrying about Jack for doing this is, well, weird.

It's his favorite number.  There's nothing majick about it; it's not going to change how he plays.  He just likes the number. 

But just as there's nothing majick about the calendar turning over every January 1, he might use it to "turn over a new leaf" with the team, to consciously try to be a better leader, to foster positive vibes in the locker room, to try to motivate the team to play up to (and perhaps above) their potential.

I certainly don't see it as something to worry about.  I think you're fretting over nothing at all, PA.  And frankly the rest of us can't figure out why it would worry you.

THN wrote an article about players switching their numbers: https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/eichel-switches-to-no-9-but-hes-not-first-young-star-to-make-early-change

Joe Thornton's situation actually mirrors Eichel's exactly. A vet had his number in Boston, and while still in Boston, 3 years into his career, the vet was gone and he switched. 

Marleau did the same. Selanne, Byfuglien, ROR. And then a bunch of guys did it when switchign teams which doesn't count for this discussion 

11 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yes you do, or reasonably readily could - don't be obtuse. 

Also, this strikes me as objectively unreasonable. (I'm not saying there's no reason to worry about Eichel. Maybe there is. But this number stuff isn't among the reasons.)

I considered many notions as to why Terry bought the team. I had a poll. One of the options was the political angle, a nod to Golisano more than anything else. I also pointed out that Terry had a meeting for NY legislators and political types at the arena to edumucate them on fracking. That's about the entire extent of me and Terry and politics. I don't think he bought the team as a springboard to politics or as a way to get fracking legal in NY. In hindsight, it's pretty clear to me now it was prelude to buying the Bills, more or less.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I considered many notions as to why Terry bought the team. I had a poll. One of the options was the political angle, a nod to Golisano more than anything else. I also pointed out that Terry had a meeting for NY legislators and political types at the arena to edumucate them on fracking. That's about the entire extent of me and Terry and politics. I don't think he bought the team as a springboard to politics or as a way to get fracking legal in NY. In hindsight, it's pretty clear to me now it was prelude to buying the Bills, more or less.

Gotcha.

in my mind, you were more honed in — and wound up pretty spot on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.