Politics....

SDS

How would you like it handled?

First, I think politics, as it intersects the world of sports (Buffalo sports in particular), is perfectly fine. Not sure what to do about the rest.... Constructive suggestions?

It's really nice to have a place to enjoy the company of like minded individuals, and not have to worry about all that crap infiltrating every single discussion. About all I watch on television is sports and documentaries, because I can't stand to listen to all the other garbage out there with people trying to directly or indirectly tell me how I should think.

My vote is "NO" to any politics. Even if it's in a separate forum. Keep Sabrespace pristine.

I don't think an offhand political comment here or there should be any big deal on this forum. And, I never had a problem with the OT thread that was about politics on this forum. I just didn't post in or read that thread much. Not a big deal. We have a lot of OT threads here and I post in those that are relevant to my interests and ignore those that are not. The OT threads are great for when things are slow (e.g., off-season). But, hockey-related threads should probably be mostly about hockey. A political comment/joke here or there isn't a huge deal IMHO, but too much of that contaminates a hockey-related thread.

I’d go with the PPP model. Keep it isolated to where you knowingly have to navigate over to it.

Given that you know both boards, I'm thinking the clubs feature can be put to work here. 

I've said before that I wouldn't mind it as a sub forum, hidden.

I think a paid members only section would be worth trying. "Supporting membership". Make it show up as a little tag under our avatar or something. Help fund the forum while keeping trolls out and worrying less about moderating.

I've said before that I wouldn't mind it as a sub forum, hidden.

I think a paid members only section would be worth trying. "Supporting membership". Make it show up as a little tag under our avatar or something. Help fund the forum while keeping trolls out and worrying less about moderating.

If you go over to The Stadium Wall, the new software has a "clubs" feature that I think might work. Anyone can start a club and be their own moderator... Clubs can be open, closed, invite only, etc... That way we don't have to fuss with it.

If you go over to The Stadium Wall, the new software has a "clubs" feature that I think might work. Anyone can start a club and be their own moderator... Clubs can be open, closed, invite only, etc... That way we don't have to fuss with it.

I haven’t seen that function before. I’m about as basic with these boards as possible. Do they use it much over there?

I haven’t seen that function before. I’m about as basic with these boards as possible. Do they use it much over there?

It is under-used. No one has really taken the time to use it to its fullest. I think that can happen here though.

Interesting. I like that.

Put it in a thread so it doesn't creep in everywhere else.

It is inevitable in this climate.  We have a ###### reality show host who grabs women by the ###### as president.  Who has paid for abortions and owns Asian brothels, yet seems to attract the so-called conservative vote.  

Who tweets CONSTANTLY because he cannot escape his own cult of personality.  

It isn't going to go away.

So please put it in a thread.

I very rarely go to TSW.*  I like this community better, even for Bills stuff.  IMO, it's a more intelligent community, and that includes people with whom I disagree on politics, hockey, and sports.  Please, no offense meant; I know TSW is your "flagship station," but I like the people here better.

And thanks, again, for all you do for us.

*I am known as Offsides Number 76 over there.  In honor of Mr. Smerlas.

Edited by Eleven

Basically, for those who don't like it.... We know each other here and I can see value in the political banter between friends and board members that have been here for years.

I hate politics, I won't go in the thread, forum, whatever. I also think it's not fair to allow those who enjoy it, a place to use it..... But please please keep it away from the other stuff I love reading so much.

Either a thread that maintains it all or a subforum makes sense to me

Basically, for those who don't like it.... We know each other here and I can see value in the political banter between friends and board members that have been here for years.

I hate politics, I won't go in the thread, forum, whatever. I also think it's not fair to allow those who enjoy it, a place to use it..... But please please keep it away from the other stuff I love reading so much.

Either a thread that maintains it all or a subforum makes sense to me

This..., i can get in tooo much trouble when giving out my opinion rather than my analysis like earlier of why things are happening as opposed to what I think should happen. Was too close to it for too long. Edited by North Buffalo

Try one pinned thread. Make it clear it stays in there and does not bleed onto rest of the board. "What happens in politics thread, stays in the politics thread"  

This is smart.

We had a poster, BTW, who never posted about hockey, as much as I can recall.  All he did (to paraphrase someone else) was "fling poo" in the politics thread.  The poster went by "bobis."  May have been a person from overseas, may not have been.

I will add that several months ago, a poster messaged me that he was uncomfortable here because he was a Trump supporter, and felt ostracized.  He was not upset at anything I had written.  I made this public on this board; some of you may remember it.  I don't want *anyone* who can or who wants to discuss Sabres hockey to feel unwelcome.  Again, that's why it's a good idea for a separate thread.  It is unavoidable:  Smith-Pelly has implied that he won't go to the White House.  How is that not a mix of politics and hockey?  Tim Thomas didn't go a few years ago.  Same.

Edited by Eleven

I am reading Eleven’s post (up thread) with a smile and remembering the film There’s Something About Mary. In it, Dom gives Ted some advice before Ted’s date with Mary. Essentially, Dom believes it’s best to let some steam off before the big event, if you know what I mean. Cue Monty Python and the ol’ nudge nudge, wink wink.

Dom uses more than one idiom.

In this preseason conversation, Mr. Eleven, you’re in mid season form!

Of course, that’s one of a hundred reasons I like it here so much.

Perhaps we’ll re engage Bobis!

Edited by Neo

This is smart.

We had a poster, BTW, who never posted about hockey, as much as I can recall. All he did (to paraphrase someone else) was "fling poo" in the politics thread. The poster went by "bobis." May have been a person from overseas, may not have been.

That’s the poster that called me a “pud” over my opinions regarding routes to becoming a successful middle class American.

The problem with politics in general is the poo that is being flung all over the place. Some people just can’t handle their emotions enough to have a decent conversation.

For the record, I wasn’t offended and it didn’t stop me from participating. I simply wrote the poster off as a fool.

I am reading Eleven’s post (up thread) with a smile and remembering the film There’s Something About Mary. In it, Dom gives Ted some advice before Ted’s date with Mary. Essentially, Dom believes it’s best to let some steam off before the big event, if you know what I mean. Cue Monty Python and the ol’ nudge nudge, wink wink.

Dom uses more than one idiom.

In this preseason conversation, Mr. Eleven, you’re in mid season form!

Of course, that’s one of a hundred reasons I like it here so much.

Perhaps we’ll re engage Bobis!

One of many movies I never have watched.

But I would LOVE a thread where you have to explain where "conservatism" has gone.  The Southern Strategy is obviously out the window.  It's not ideology that pushes conservatives.  It's money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.