#32, Mattias Samuelsson (LHD)

LGR4GM

Corey Pronman is really hating on this pick in the Athletic... he's a draft guy and I like his stuff, but everything else I've read is positive. Hmmmmm.

Pronman tends to value high end skill over all else.

That’s not Samuelsson’s game.

Looks to me like in your wildest dreams he turns into a Mike Ramsey and in your Because Buffalo nightmare Mike Weber.

Most likely I’m seeing a Richard Smehlik or Rhett Warrener, but with better wheels.

Edited by dudacek

we need to start hitting on some non type 10 picks. What was it 2014 or 2015 when we had 3 2nd and basically missed on all of them. I heard about how Hurley was a couple of days from being so young that he was almost eligible for the next draft. All busts. I'm fine if his ceiling is a shut down second pairing guy with a higher floor. I'm sick of missing on these picks. Let's build some depth here. Nothing I've read yet makes me think anything but this being a good pick.

Pronman tends to value high end skill over all else.

That’s not Samuelsson’s game.

Looks to me like in your wildest dreams he turns into a Mike Ramsey and in your Because Buffalo nightmare Mike Weber.

Most likely I’m seeing a Richard Smehlik or Rhett Warrener, but with better wheels.

Correct. It's probably why I like reading his stuff so much :lol:

###### we need to start hitting on some non type 10 picks. What was it 2014 or 2015 when we had 3 2nd and basically missed on all of them. I heard about how Hurley was a couple of days from being so young that he was almost eligible for the next draft. All busts. I'm fine if his ceiling is a shut down second pairing guy with a higher floor. I'm sick of missing on these picks. Let's build some depth here. Nothing I've read yet makes me think anything but this being a good pick.

We have drafted so poorly for so long.  Since Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, we have pretty much shot blanks on draft weekend.  It's an incredible run really.

I worry about his overall agility. That's something he needs to work on. Outside of that he's very solid densely. I'd give him 2 years in college or 1 college 1 AHL before we think about him seeing Sabres ice time. He's got some things to work on. I'll need to go back and look to see if I think he was the best defender available. At least they didn't draft Ginning.

To be fair, I'm a little biased because I wanted Berggren. I think Samuelson with his leadership was important to Buffalo.

I worry about his overall agility. That's something he needs to work on. Outside of that he's very solid densely. I'd give him 2 years in college or 1 college 1 AHL before we think about him seeing Sabres ice time. He's got some things to work on. I'll need to go back and look to see if I think he was the best defender available. At least they didn't draft Ginning.

To be fair, I'm a little biased because I wanted Berggren. I think Samuelson with his leadership was important to Buffalo.

Wilde and McIsaac were still on the board.

We have drafted so poorly for so long.  Since Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, we have pretty much shot blanks on draft weekend.  It's an incredible run really.

The end of finding late round guys correlates well w/ the implementation of video scouting.

We are friggin' due (at least in theory) to start seeing some (ANY!?!?!?) late round hits now that scouting has been largely restored.

Link? That sounds pretty awesome

https://justdishinhockey.com/products/dahlid

Wilde and McIsaac were still on the board.

As they are stressing character as part of their player evaluations I bet that Bode Wilde was off their board.

Besides he de committed to Michigan, Botterill probably forbid anyone from mentioning Wilde’s Name in his presence.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.