#32, Mattias Samuelsson (LHD)

LGR4GM

LOL

Can’t tell if this is sarcastic or not. I’m certainly fine with the pick.

But I do think we are seeing a definite “type” when it comes to Botterill’s draft strategy. (Not the left shot D bit, as lopsided as the depth chart is currently there)

Edited by Thorny

But I do think we are seeing a definite “type” when it comes to Botterill’s draft strategy. (Not the left shot D bit, as lopsided as the depth chart is currently there)

I'm beginning to think so too, and as with Murray's Russian-aversion, I'm concerned it might leave some talented picks on the table.

I'm beginning to think so too, and as with Murray's Russian-aversion, I'm concerned it might leave some talented picks on the table.

Agreed.  It seems there is a bias against CHL players.  I hope this is all based on talent and not some aversion to the CHL.

Not sarcastic at all.

It was funny because it’s true in the mUrray hates Russians kind of way.

How many good-skating left-shot Swedish players headed to an American college are there?

And if we can find one, shouldnt we be pencilling him in at 94?

Edited by dudacek

Agreed.  It seems there is a bias against CHL players.  I hope this is all based on talent and not some aversion to the CHL.

Yup. We’ll see how the rest of the draft goes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabres ended up with zero drafted CHL players for two consecutive years, after never having one before in their history.

He's a good pick, I like McIsaac more than him as he has a little more offensive upside.  But, it's a good pick that definitely improves our back end.  This is where the Sabres had to invest some of their capital in picks. Now hopefully it's offense going forward.

So he's 6'4, has a great shot and plays mean? How's his skating because that all sounds good to me. Second round picks can be tough to project so he sounds as good to me as any. We really do need more higher pick d prospects in our system.

Not sarcastic at all.

It was funny because it’s true in the mUrray hates Russians kind of way.

How many good-skating left-shot Swedish players headed to an American college are there?

And if we can find one, shouldnt we be pencilling him in at 94?

Ah, gotcha.

Ya it does remind me of that Murray thing. Maybe a slightly higher eyebrow raise for me, as it could be a much larger talent pool Botts has an aversion to.

No reason to seriously doubt his aptitude for drafting at this point, though. Way too early and very early returns from last season seem good.

Edited by Thorny

So he's 6'4, has a great shot and plays mean? How's his skating because that all sounds good to me. Second round picks can be tough to project so he sounds as good to me as any. We really do need more higher pick d prospects in our system.

Straight line speed is good. I think his agility and edges are just okay and he needs to improve there. 

I found myself wondering the same thing.  There's a streak of jingoism in hockey culture generally that I hope our GM is smart enough not to be influenced by.

Separately:  it looks like Samuelsson, although he was named captain of the US national team for his age group, did not make the 2018 US World Junior team.  Is this something to be concerned about?  Or just normal for his age?

I found myself wondering the same thing.  There's a streak of jingoism in hockey culture generally that I hope our GM is smart enough not to be influenced by.

Separately:  it looks like Samuelsson, although he was named captain of the US national team for his age group, did not make the 2018 US World Junior team.  Is this something to be concerned about?  Or just normal for his age?

Most 17 year olds don't make the U20 team. There are of course exceptions. 

Hughes and Tkachuk were the only ones this year, and that’s pretty normal.

Baker had him ranked 20th.

He'll replace Scandella maybe?

Where is he going

Kjell played I think 14 years in the NHL, and his brother Ulf (Mattias' uncle), also had a long NHL career, peppered with a bunch of nasty stickwork and other dirty play that made him widely disliked by both opponents and opposing fans.

Loved me some ulf

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.