#32, Mattias Samuelsson (LHD)

LGR4GM

Kjell played I think 14 years in the NHL, and his brother Ulf (Mattias' uncle), also had a long NHL career, peppered with a bunch of nasty stickwork and other dirty play that made him widely disliked by both opponents and opposing fans.

Man, a Kjell and Ulf bloodline ...

Samuelsson just got love from NHL Network as the guy that dropped to the second that could make an impact.

The money quote: the guy in the USDP that his teammates most want to play with.

Kid is a leader.

Edited by dudacek

Im very excited after reading this, yeah buddy!!!!!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-interest-411-mattias-samuelsson/

...he plays with good control and is known for being well-positioned.

“Defensively he stands out,” says NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr. “He understands the role. He plays within his means. He moves well for his size, he doesn’t over-handle the puck... His 1-on-1 game, he makes sure he handles his checks. On the defensive side of the puck he’s responsible with it.”

So it looks like we drafted Denis Potvin *and* Nick Lidstrom in the same draft?

Here’s as simple of an analysis as possible. If they hit on this pick, defensive depth very quickly becomes an organizational strength. A big of, but please let this happen.

It's funny how the organizational pendulum swings. We could easily go from having a pipeline with no defensemen to one with no forwards.

It's funny how the organizational pendulum swings. We could easily go from having a pipeline with no defensemen to one with no forwards.

Really hoping that next season when the Sabres are drafting early 20's that they finally get back to BPA & don't overemphasize a single position.

Also really want either a 5th or one of the 6ths to be spent on a goalie. They should draft 1 late every single year. And should occassionally grab one in the 3rd if somebody they really like the look of is there.

I love the way Jbot is building depth. This was not going to be fixed in two drafts. I suspect another couple drafts and the organization will be set for becoming a long term contender for the next decade.

Great.  My dad will be dead and I'll be an old man.

I have no real opinion on the pick other than that it appears that we're trying to make this team feel like home for our Swedes.

Buffalo may need to step its restaurant game up.

Nah, now if you had drafted 5 belgians, then you would have to level up.

Bars to :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.