Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I appreciate the insight that this sort of thing provides.

But, man. Here's where some eye test, some more subjective stuff, is sorely needed. That wasn't an average hockey club that came back and beat Vancouver on Saturday.

(Or is it?)

I’m thinking we all have forgotten how good average looks compared to the last 5 seasons.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

But, man. Here's where some eye test, some more subjective stuff, is sorely needed. That wasn't an average hockey club that came back and beat Vancouver on Saturday.

(Or is it?)

Keep in mind we have a few blowout losses and a few blowout wins. Also, last year, we lost an absurd amount of 1 goal games. We're winning those this year

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

(Or is it?)

At this point in time, they most likely are average (as reflected in their being 1 game above DeLuca 0.500 and that coming via shootout).  But they are very young & most likely will improve more than other teams around them as the kids have further to go to reach their ceilings & nearly/roughly 1/2 of the roster is new to this squad.  Injuries could definitely derail that improvement, but due to the talent of the kids in the wings it might not derail it but rather build on it.  So, by the end of the year, they should be above average.

Next year, they will be GOOD.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think we might be more excited about our team than the “experts.” 

CBS and Yahoo have the Sabres at 19th, and ESPN has them at 20th, in all their “power rankings.”

Reddit popular vote has us at 13, which seems about right to me

Edited by WildCard

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

(Or is it?)

Season-long pace is 96 points. Last year that would have been good for....you guessed it, 16th in the league. 

I don't think the comeback win means we're "good" any more than pooping the bed against Ottawa two weeks ago meant we were bad. Seems to me it's precisely that type of divergent outcome that an average team would produce.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Edmonton basically traded Matthew Barzal for Griffin Reinhart... they dumb. 

Boston passed on him three times. He’s my Khalil Mack for hockey - I was loudly saying at draft time they would be stars and here we are.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Is that the draft where Boston picked 3 times in a row and made weird choices?

Yes...yes it is.

the Bruins made three off the board picks and then Barzal, Kyle Conner and Chabot went off the board consecutively 

68944817-A4D1-40D5-AD3E-031666C926B8.png

Edited by Stu

The season pace over the last bunch of games has smoothed out to right around the 94-point bubble, so any ranking between 18-14 seems about right, maybe slightly higher if you believe "the team is coming together after a slow start due to all the new faces". They've just climbed above playoff pace with the last win, but they were below it for a bit before that.

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm surprised that you didn't mention your boy Bowser from that draft.

That's me. Also it is Boeser and he could be playing on Eichel's rw if GMTM wasn't a such a giant turd and thought Robin Lehner was worth a 1st round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1