Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Not at all. Ovechkin was the opposite of lazy when he came into the league. He played every game like it was his last. 

Always thought/got the impression he was pretty lazy back then. Guess it was only in the defensive zone?

7 hours ago, LTS said:

Yeah... my fantasy team is well aware of the Patrick Laine impact this season.

While this would be good for my fantasy team (assuming Helly is in net) it would be bad for me personally.  So, I have to root against the Jets.  Tough week, my goalies are Tampa and Jets.  At least the lightning didn't play Vasilevsky.

Helle was great last night but Brossoit is starting on Friday. He is unbeaten this year in three games. He has 5 goals against and has a .957 sv%. This will be the last game of a 4 game homestand after coming back from Finland.

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

That's what I've read from some other boards. Interested to see for myself Friday, though I'll be in Atlanta so I won't be paying that much attention

Ducky, can you confirm/deny?

He's got 8g and 2a in 17 games and I think his one 5 vs 5 goal is an EN goal? In my opinion and I know it is a hockey cliche but he isn't moving his feet. He just stands there and watches plays develop. He's 6' 5" and well over 200 lbs. and it surprises the hell out of me if he wins a board battle. I'm not sure if it's laziness or low IQ or what but something has to change. His shooting is world class and his passing is very, very good but he has a lot to learn about playing a pro game in North America if you ask me. Having said all that, the Jets won't split up Wheeler and Scheifele and they can both drive a line. Wheeler on the wing with Little and Laine on the wing with Scheif and fill in with KC and Ehlers should be given at least 5 games but who am I? What do I know really. It is only an opinion from what I have seen of Laine and the team this year. I think Maurice doesn't want to switch things up because the team is putting up points and coaches like wins but I'd put a line with Kyle Connor Scheifele and Laine together. That'd leave the 2nd line of Ehlers Little Wheeler.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

He's got 8g and 2a in 17 games and I think his one 5 vs 5 goal is an EN goal? In my opinion and I know it is a hockey cliche but he isn't moving his feet. He just stands there and watches plays develop. He's 6' 5" and well over 200 lbs. and it surprises the hell out of me if he wins a board battle. I'm not sure if it's laziness or low IQ or what but something has to change. His shooting is world class and his passing is very, very good but he has a lot to learn about playing a pro game in North America if you ask me. Having said all that, the Jets won't split up Wheeler and Scheifele and they can both drive a line. Wheeler on the wing with Little and Laine on the wing with Scheif and fill in with KC and Ehlers should be given at least 5 games but who am I? What do I know really. It is only an opinion from what I have seen of Laine and the team this year. I think Maurice doesn't want to switch things up because the team is putting up points and coaches like wins but I'd put a line with Kyle Connor Scheifele and Laine together. That'd leave the 2nd line of Ehlers Little Wheeler.

Good response, thanks

The bold is spot on from what I've read on other boards, including the board play

I should have mentioned that he almost looked like Mario Lemieux in his two games in Helsinki so it is obvious he can hockey...maybe he's lazy...maybe he want s to get home and play games on xbox or whatever kids use nowadays...I'd sit him for a good two or three games and let him watch from the pressbox but that's me. 

He's been playing on the Lowry line with Tanev and that is our checking line but I think the lines changed last game and he played with KC and Little. So far, the Little/Laine combo hasn't shown much chemistry at all. 

He looked good when he has played with Scheif and he and Ehlers looked good with Stastny last year but his year his play is suffering. Good year for a dwonturn as far as salry negotiations go though...the Jets should save some bucks if he doesn't snap out of it soon.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, WildCard said:

Apparently Laine is early Ovechkin level of lazy

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

...sarcasm? 

Not really in relation to your post exactly,  but the fact that Laine is even getting mentioned in the same breath as Ovechkin still is wild. Ovechkin had 54 assists his first season, Laine has 56 total so far, currently in his 3rd season. 

Ovi can also skate. 

---

Ehlers is another interesting case for Winnipeg. Only 8 points so far, he's been cold dating back to last season. 

Those that had him ahead of Reinhart in a 2014 redraft may have been a bit premature. Roslovic has also done almost nothing this year. As predicted, that Sabres Jets trade wound up a whole lot of insignificance, in the end. Stafford, Armia gone. Most want Myers gone. Lemieux is a goon. Roslovic still has upside, but, much ado about not much, in the end. Same on the Sabres end of things. They got a first back for Kane, that balances the 1st to the Peg (Roslovic). 

Luckily for the Jets, they are so deep they can have several players slumping and still find themselves near the top of the standings. 

Edited by Thorny

Sabres find themselves in NHL.com's power rankings for first time this season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-power-rankings-super-16-november-15/c-301941210

Also of note: Eichel being stated as a "Miss" with 15 points in 15 games, while centering the "Hit" listed directly above that. 

---

Sportnet's edition:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-standings-power-rankings-coaches-hot-seat-fired-odds/

That's a pretty needlessly pessimistic write-up on the Sabres...

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Pittsburgh had a 2-0 over Tampa.

They took three consecutive Penalties and Brayden Point proceeded to get the natural hat trick by scoring three PP Goals. 

Fastest hat trick since the 50s.

Akso, Laine is potting four against us now.

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's an orthographic axis to the Ovechkin scale.  A key component of the Vanek scale is degree of Vanek face.

Wut??? Have you gone over to the dark side  analytical side. What does that mean and I've read it 4 times??