Rasmus Asplund Signed to ELC

Brawndo

Bar is set pretty low there

That's OK, some are setting it rather high. Are Swedes known for bombast and hype?

Newly appointed national team coach, and former bench boss of Sweden's U20 team, Rikard Grönborg referred to Asplund as the new Henrik Zetterberg, saying that they have the same mind for the game.

Edited by MattPie

He's probably my 2nd favorite prospect (3rd if you count Dahlin)

Me too.  Not going to wow you with a ton of points but I think he could be an excellent 3rd line centre in time.  Plays a very well rounded game (ie. knows what the heck he's doing in his own zone).

Asplund: well-coached, two-way centerman with a smart stick and sneaky vision. Competes in all three zones. Can play in traffic but also gain space to draw in D and dish. Good checking routes. Not going to blow you away with point totals but has potential to be important player.

I hope youse are right.  I can't help feeling like he's just a Larsson replacement and will add similar (lack of) value.

OTOH...

That's OK, some are setting it rather high. Are Swedes known for bombast and hype?

Newly appointed national team coach, and former bench boss of Sweden's U20 team, Rikard Grönborg referred to Asplund as the new Henrik Zetterberg, saying that they have the same mind for the game.

Whoa.

How many Rasmus can we have on the team at one time? 

I'd say about 20 Rasmi. Some on the forwards, some on the defense.

XGMTM swung for the fences while JBot plays small ball.

True. I guess the trouble is that XGMTM thought he was a lefty playing his home games in Yankee Stadium and had no need for a farm system, when it turns out he actually played his home games in Petco or whatever San Diego's barn is called now, plays in the NL and can't count on an oversized DH (or goalie) to mash it everyday, and the Yankees continually crop up a really good young talent every couple seasons because of a solid (moisture) farm.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Dahlin, Mittlestadt, Asplund and 32 OA from this draft all on the ice together?

I wish they would announce when prospect camp is with more advance notice this year.

Last year dev camp was July 8-11. Should be quite entertaining with Dahlin and Mittlestadt. Throw in some Pu and the Harbor Center will be flush with excremen.. err.. excitement.

Last year dev camp was July 8-11. Should be quite entertaining with Dahlin and Mittlestadt. Throw in some Pu and the Harbor Center will be flush with excremen.. err.. excitement.

Ya I'm expecting around the second weekend in July. But some years it's on a Friday, some have been weekend. Us die hard out of towners have to book hotels and if necessary time off work in advance.

I would say Asplund's ceiling is prime Jochen Hecht, and his most-likely outcome is probably faster, slightly better Larsson, a fan-favorite, and his floor is of course out of the league.

If he's only a slightly better Larsson I see no way he's a fan favorite lol.

I think the ceiling and floor are accurate. I'm hoping his most probable outcome is a legitimate third line player on a very good team. I do realize this skews much more to the ceiling in this scenario but God it's almost June and I wanna dream!!

If he's only a slightly better Larsson I see no way he's a fan favorite lol.

I think the ceiling and floor are accurate. I'm hoping his most probable outcome is a legitimate third line player on a very good team. I do realize this skews much more to the ceiling in this scenario but ###### it's almost June and I wanna dream!!

Well if you put wheels on Larsson, he's suddenly a legitimately good 4C. And then you add to his skill a bit, and he's a 4th line fixture a la prime Gaustad, who was a fan favorite. 

We would love Larsson's attitude and effort if he was just a better player overall, but he's one of many who suck so we tire of him quickly. IMO.

I will say Botterill seems very methodical. 

I still think this was a tank year but they kept it secret and were clever about hiding it. Housley was hired to be the right coach for Dahlin. Now the signings, the new players, even a first rounder coming for Kane, if we do not start to see an upwards trajectory for this team now, we never will. 

I truly believe this team will look vastly different from what we ended the season with. It'll be young and fast. What we are really missing is a goalie, unless Ullmark is ready but I have my reservations on that. Fingers crossed.

I still think this was a tank year but they kept it secret and were clever about hiding it. Housley was hired to be the right coach for Dahlin. Now the signings, the new players, even a first rounder coming for Kane, if we do not start to see an upwards trajectory for this team now, we never will. 

I truly believe this team will look vastly different from what we ended the season with. It'll be young and fast. What we are really missing is a goalie, unless Ullmark is ready but I have my reservations on that. Fingers crossed.

So we hired Housley a year ago because we already knew we were going to get Dahlin? Does the illuminati have our backs or something? And if they do, why don't we already have a dozen championship banners hanging from the rafters?

Well if you put wheels on Larsson, he's suddenly a legitimately good 4C. And then you add to his skill a bit, and he's a 4th line fixture a la prime Gaustad, who was a fan favorite. 

We would love Larsson's attitude and effort if he was just a better player overall, but he's one of many who suck so we tire of him quickly. IMO.

I thought Larsson was finding his game during the 2016-17 season prior to the arm injury.  I think that affected him quite a bit this past year.  I like to think with a proper off-season to train and not deal with an injury he could come back in October rejuvenated and ready to go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.