What should the Sabres do with their spare $19 million?

dudacek

I assume Vegas expansion money means the revenue the team generated. 

I also don't agree with the Risto trade. Montreal would have to offer me more. I can find 45pt wingers. It is harder to find 40pt defenders. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I assume Vegas expansion money means the revenue the team generated.

I also don't agree with the Risto trade. Montreal would have to offer me more. I can find 45pt wingers. It is harder to find 40pt defenders.

Didnt click the link, but we'd better not trade anything to Montreal. I don't want a single thing they have

I'd be content to roll the dice on Ullmark and a cheap journeyman backup if they were able to sign Tavares.

Sabres have had so much luck with signing Islanders in free agency...i keed i keed.

It'll be difficult salary cap wise, but, would make the Sabres legit again, just don't see him signing with the worst team of the last half decade.

Sabres have had so much luck with signing Islanders in free agency...i keed i keed.

It'll be difficult salary cap wise, but, would make the Sabres legit again, just don't see him signing with the worst team of the last half decade.

That is where I am as well. Regardless of having Jack, Sam and the Rasmii on the roster, I don’t see FAs of this level of significance (JT) choosing Buffalo in free agency until the team demonstrated it has moved in the right direction.

Trade RoR for an emerging top 4 D. Sign Johhny T and be much better off for it.

If JBots could somehow convince Tavarares to sign here and then trade ROR to upgrade the blue line...that'd be a f'n coup. Probably the best case scenario imaginable, however, I just can't see Tavarases coming here.

If JBots could somehow convince Tavarares to sign here and then trade ROR to upgrade the blue line...that'd be a f'n coup. Probably the best case scenario imaginable, however, I just can't see Tavarases coming here.

Anaheim or LA would be my guess.

Can I get a goalie up in here?

The board's collective opinion that goalies don't matter because Fleury had won a few (he's looking a bit better than you had thought, no?) and Crawford had won a few (we'd take him over every Sabres goaltender since Miller) is just wrong.  WRONG.

A team needs to be built upon a strong goaltender.  Period.  Yeah, there are occasional teams that win Cups without them, just like there are occasional teams that win Super Bowls with average quarterbacks.  But the vast majority of data suggests that the Sabres need much better goaltending than what currently is in the system.

Can I get a goalie up in here?

The board's collective opinion that goalies don't matter because Fleury had won a few (he's looking a bit better than you had thought, no?) and Crawford had won a few (we'd take him over every Sabres goaltender since Miller) is just wrong.  WRONG.

A team needs to be built upon a strong goaltender.  Period.  Yeah, there are occasional teams that win Cups without them, just like there are occasional teams that win Super Bowls with average quarterbacks.  But the vast majority of data suggests that the Sabres need much better goaltending than what currently is in the system.

Once again, for emphasis (;)):

Tavares, DeHaan, & 1/2 of the Caps G tandem.

:thumbsup:

Right now, the only name I’ve heard proposed that is demonstrably better than Lehner is Holtby, and with every passing playoff game that gets further away from reality, if it ever was.

No matter what else happens to this roster, we are not making the playoffs without significantly better goaltending.

And Ullmark is far from a sure bet to supply it and neither is Grubauer and certainly not Hutton or Khudobin. Get a real goalie.

Edited by dudacek

If it were me, I’d try to get Karlsson from Ottawa. Karlsson and Dahlin headlining the first and second D pairing would be sublime. Taking a swing at Carlson (wit a C) would be next. We need to improve D. No question and no Faulking around this year.

I then move to wingers who can score. Target JT Miller.

I don’t think there is a chance in hell that Tavares signs in Buffalo. He’s lived mediocrity and won’t want to be part of ours.

Right now, the only name I’ve heard proposed that is demonstrably better than Lehner is Holtby, and with every passing playoff game that gets further away from reality, if it ever was.

No matter what else happens to this roster, we are not making the playoffs without significantly better goaltending.

And Ullmark is far from a sure bet to supply it and neither is Grubauer and certainly not Hutton or Khudobin. Get a real goalie.

Rinne and Dell might be available.

The best way to get a goalie is to develop one.

Agreed and our past history indicates that we’ve tried to make that happen with Ullmark.

Ryan Miller was 25 with 170 starts in the AHL 18 in Buffalo when he took over number one.

Linus will be 25 with 127 in the A, and 25 in Buffalo.

Ryan shared the crease with Marty that year. I want to give Linus a Marty.

There were some reports that our illustrious owner was not happy with the lack of progress from JBot's first year. Might just be fake news or rumor but if it's true, and JBot feels the pressure he'll probably blow it and waste money on declining old talent and slackers like the last guy did.

I am hoping instead they have him on a longer time frame and let him restructure things properly. Build from the bottom and leave the cap in good standing so we'll have the money for the Mittelstadts and Dahlins and all the great picks he'll still draft.................ya gotta dream. 

Only person I’ve seen reporting that Pegula was unhappy with last season was JBot himself.

I was shocked. The headline I expected was “Team finishes last (again), GM comfortable, owner happy”

There was precedent for that reaction in the recent past.

I may be far off, but what do you think about a Ryan Miller/ Ullmark tandem? Too old? Can he be cheap? He was .928 last season.

I've advocated for the Miller/Ullmark tandem previously. I like the price and would like Miller to retire a Sabre.

I've advocated for the Miller/Ullmark tandem previously. I like the price and would like Miller to retire a Sabre.

Me too, on all counts.

I believe the response was its Anaheim or retirement for Miller for family reasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.