What should the Sabres do with their spare $19 million?

dudacek

Maybe this will get more traction as its own thread.

Assuming the majority of RFAs sign for about their qualifying offers, and that we buy nobody out, we will have about $19 million to spend this summer, including on Sam Reinhart and Robin Lehner/his replacement.

That’s enough to acquire at least two significant pieces, especially since Bogo, Scandella, Pominville Beaulieu and Moulson’s more than $20 million are off the books before we need to buck up for Casey and Rasmus Junior.

What should we do with the cash?

CURRENT ROSTER

$5.0 Moulson $10 Eichel $6.0 Okposo

$1.6 Girgensons $7.5 O’Reilly $5.4 Pominville

$0.7* Wilson $1.5 Larsson $0.9* Reinhart

$0.7 Rodrigues $0.9 Mittelstadt $0.8* Baptiste

$0.9* Smith $0.9* O’Regan $0.9* Fasching

$0.9 Nylander $0.9 Malone $0.8* Bailey

$0.8 Olofsson $0.9 Oglevie $0.8 Pu

$0.7 Karabacek $0.6 Criscuolo $0.7 Cornel

$0.7 Porter (Asplund) $0.7 Griffith

$4.0 Scandella $5.4 Ristolainen

$2.4 Beaulieu $5.1 Bogosian

$1.6 McCabe $0.8 Nelson

$0.9 Pilut $0.9* Antipin

$0.8 Guhle $0.8 Borgen

$0.7 Stephens $0.7 Tennyson

$0.7 Martin $0.7 Fedun

(Budik) (Dahlin)

$4.0* Lehner $0.8 Ullmark $0.8 Johansen $0.6* Kasdorf

*RFA qualifying offer

Edited by dudacek

Tavares (obviously), and Carlson *only if he can be signed to a reasonable contract* (which he probably can't). 

Aside from those two (maybe de Haan, but I'd have to be convinced), the top of the UFA heap is putrid. Give me depth on short contracts. Kyle Brodziak, Matt Calvert, Michael Grabner, and Patrick Maroon are a few names that come to mind.

I’d like to target RFAs rather than UFAs.

Stone, Hertl, Jenner, Murray, Trouba, JT Miller, Lindholm, Hellebuyck, Dumba, Nelson, Sheahan, Zucker, Wilson, Namestikov, Colin Miller, Athanasiou, Grubauer, Karlsson, Armia, Montour, Skjei, Hanifin, Nylander, Fabbri, Larkin, Nurse, Domi, Mantha, Theodore...

Most of these guys will be looking for big raises and most will get them from their teams. But a few may prove too rich, or force the ejection of another player on their team to make room.

Through trade, or even through offer sheet, here’s where Botterill has to make some value moves.

Duda I think Samson’s qualifying offer may have to be st least what he earned last year including bonuses.

That’s what I thought too, but capfriendly says different and I took all my numbers from there.

Regardless, Sam will be getting a big raise.

Edited by dudacek

I’d like to target RFAs rather than UFAs.

Stone, Hertl, Jenner, Murray, Trouba, JT Miller, Lindholm, Hellebuyck, Dumba, Nelson, Sheahan, Zucker, Wilson, Namestikov, Colin Miller, Athanasiou, Grubauer, Karlsson, Armia, Montour, Skjei, Hanifin, Nylander, Fabbri, Larkin, Nurse, Domi, Mantha, Theodore...

Most of these guys will be looking for big raises and most will get them from their teams. But a few may prove too rich, or force the ejection of another player on their team to make room.

Through trade, or even through offer sheet, here’s where Botterill has to make some value moves.

That’s what I thought too, but capfriendly says different and I took all my numbers from there.

Regardless, Sam will be getting a big raise.

Grubauer

I'm pretty goddamn optimistic about next season for some stupid reason, but I will be completely deflated if Lehner comes back. Like, might not even watch the first game deflated. I really hope they move on from him. I'm willing to subscribe to the idea that he's a dark cloud in the locker room. 

Plus, he's a bad goalie.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm pretty goddamn optimistic about next season for some stupid reason, but I will be completely deflated if Lehner comes back. Like, might not even watch the first game deflated. I really hope they move on from him. I'm willing to subscribe to the idea that he's a dark cloud in the locker room. 

Plus, he's a bad goalie.

I don't think we'll have to worry about that.  He's gone, IMO.

Plus, he's a bad goalie.

He gone...

I know I’ve been banging on about it, but I’ll be amazed if he lands another NHL job next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.