Realistic expectations for Casey

GASabresIUFAN

Rak needs to weigh in the stats angle of translating NCAA stats to the NHL, but what should be our realistic expectations for Casey for the rest of this year and next season? Do these expectations change if he plays top 6 wing or 3rd line center? Does he even make the Sabres to start next season? If he does make the Sabres, what can we expect production wise?

Here is some food for thought

O’Regan freshman numbers at BU - 16g 22a for 38 pts

Eichel at BU 26g 45a for 71 pts

Wilson at UMass-Lowell 16g 22a for 38pts

Vanek at Minn 31g 31a for 62 pts

Fasching at Minn 14g 16a for 30pts

Mittelstadt at Minn 11g 19a for 30 pts

I fully expect Casey in the lineup as our 3rd line center next season. I think Jbot envisions him as our 2nd line center in 2-3 years as ROR slides down into a more checking role or slides over to LW. I suspect he’ll get 2nd line PP time next season, but have his 5 on 5 minutes sheltered early and then grow throughout the season as he gets used to the speed of the NHL game. It’s one thing to blow through guys at the WJC, and another to try it in the NHL.

Overall if he scores 15g and adds 20a, I think that will be a very credible 1st NHL season.

I'm thinking 52 goals, 87 assists, for 139 points.

????? You must be suffering from PTHD

Post traumatic housing disorder  :w00t:  :w00t:

Take about 90-100 points off that total and that should be a good year for the kid, especially on the 3rd line. 

????? You must be suffering from PTHD

Post traumatic housing disorder  :w00t:  :w00t:

Take about 90-100 points off that total and that should be a good year for the kid, especially on the 3rd line.

You need to leave, how dare you denigrate Our Lord and Savior... :)

I think 35.5 is a good over under number for points next season.

If he’s centering a 3rd line with substandard (which I expect) wingers, I think the most we can expect is 25 points unless he gets significant powerplay time.

If he’s centering a 3rd line with substandard (which I expect) wingers, I think the most we can expect is 25 points unless he gets significant powerplay time.

I keep coming back to that as well. We can’t even get a handle on who Jack’s wingers are going to be. In the forwards thread, i did a quick review of all the wingers in our system and none, except Sam and a fully developed Nylander (if that happens) have top end talent, which means the rest are JAGs or has beens.

That's it? I thought you'd say the force is strong with this one! 

I expect him to play with Jack and not be stuck on a line with Pommer and Nolan 

I see him as a top six winger next season, too. Mittelstadt - Eichel - Okposo. ?? - O'Reilly - Reinhart at the start of the season. Plenty of powerplay time.

++ Points?

--  Fifty (thousand), no less.

++ The illustrious Jabba asks why Mittelstadt gets 50 points?

-- Because Casey is a thermal detonator!

**  Whoa-ho-ho. Ah-ha-ha! This Mittelstadt is my kind of scum.

I'm OK with starting him on the 3rd line.    This will shelter him from the tougher matchups.

The long term plan should be for ROR to center the 3rd line.    He'd be the perfect guy who can win draws in key situations, play defense, eat up minutes at the end of games, and chip in offensively.   

Just think what he'll do to build off that in a full season next year.

This.

I should also add that he will also have a +/- of 139. He'll contribute on every single goal we score while he's on the ice and the opposing team will never score while he's on the ice.

Edited by Alkoholist

Thank you. Someone with his feet actually on the ground.

Don't expect him to look as lost and out of place first games like Samson did, but it's going to take time. Third line with some speedy wingers would be a good start along with a little PP time. Until we find some wingers who can finish his numbers will be low.

If he plays the rest of this year, I want to see at least one goal.

Next year, I would like to think he would spend some time with the Amerks (I just can't see how he would be fully aware and skilled at all the fine points of position and defensive play at this time).  However, if he is with the Sabres and on the 3rd line or better, with PP time, I'd want to see 20 goals out of him next year.

Whenever he DOES make the Sabres full time, I want him centering line #2, with O'Reilly as the 3rd line center.

Edited by mjd1001

Thank you. Someone with his feet actually on the ground.

Don't expect him to look as lost and out of place first games like Samson did, but it's going to take time. Third line with some speedy wingers would be a good start along with a little PP time. Until we find some wingers who can finish his numbers will be low.

My feet are on the ground deck of my ISD. I expect Mittelstadt cracks the top six in Buffalo because we won't have a more talented option to pair with Eichel. If he starts the season on the third line, fine, but if that's the case I'd rather send him down to Rochester where he and Nylander can start the season on the top line with an AHL veteran-type. Then, they can be mid-season call-ups to stay.

Edited by DarthBerusad

I have no expectations for this season, except I'd like him to look at least as good as Nylander did in those four games last year. Mostly invisible, but not too much of a negative with a couple of decent looking plays. 

But it'd be real fun if he looked 'good'. Like, gave us some hope. 

In a full season next year with top 6 time (ROR or Jack), I'd expect a rookie season in line with similar players over the past few years. point totals between 35-60, with mid 40s most likely. In the role We've describes, well, I'm not sure I see him spending 82 games in the NHL in that role, so I don't have a point total. 

Sorry, I mean I expect a +3.4 Rel_xGF% with provisions allowed for bizarre QoT/QoC and ZS%.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.