Realistic expectations for Casey

GASabresIUFAN

what seperates Mittelstadt from Keller and Marner? both hit over 60 in their rookie seasons.

Experience. Marner spent 3 seasons in Juniors and Keller spent two seasons in the USHL with the USNTP and then one in college (where he put up 45 pts). Casey, for as talented as he is, had a total of 24 USHL games after high school and then one year in college.

Reinhart spent 4 seasons in Juniors before making it to Buffalo.

what seperates Mittelstadt from Keller and Marner? both hit over 60 in their rookie seasons. 

Keller had a better post draft season in college by a pretty significant amount, and Marner's scoring was also ludicrous, even though it was in a different league the "NHL equivalence" was higher if you buy into that stuff. Or stated differently, Marner's point total in the O has always been more impressive than what Casey did this year. 

He could certainly become as good or better of a player than those two though, can't rule out that possibility. 

I'm OK with starting him on the 3rd line.    This will shelter him from the tougher matchups.

The long term plan should be for ROR to center the 3rd line.    He'd be the perfect guy who can win draws in key situations, play defense, eat up minutes at the end of games, and chip in offensively.   

I want him learning to be an offensive force in the NHL, which means putting him with linemates that are expected to contribute offensively.  I want him on Jack or RORs wing next year with a plan to shift ROR to wing and Casey to center the year after, once he's gotten a feel for what it takes to play a top 6 role in the NHL.

I just don't see his offensive game developing in a role that features him centering JAGs and AAAA players.

Obviously, from what we've heard from JBott so far, he feels differently.

and a fully developed Nylander (if that happens)

I don't understand why we talk about him as even a minor possiblity for next season.  He's not even close to where he needs to be to have that conversation.

I want him learning to be an offensive force in the NHL, which means putting him with linemates that are expected to contribute offensively.  I want him on Jack or RORs wing next year with a plan to shift ROR to wing and Casey to center the year after, once he's gotten a feel for what it takes to play a top 6 role in the NHL.

I just don't see his offensive game developing in a role that features him centering JAGs and AAAA players.

I don't understand why we talk about him as even a minor possiblity for next season.  He's not even close to where he needs to be to have that conversation.

We are very much in agreement on how to begin his development & also in agreement about Nylander'sv (lack of a) role. Until there are enough skilled &/or GOOD forwards to roll the forwards like '05-'06, this team should be looking to have 2 strong lines. Until Nylander shows he belongs there, he shoukdn't even be on the radar. If Nylander ends up worthy of his high selection, it's found money. They should plan as if he won't be.

No one is talking about Nylander in Buffalo for next year.  All I am saying is that Nylander and Sam are the only, talent wise, top 6 type wingers in our system Sabres or otherwise.

The fan base caution surrounding Casey is somewhere between funny and sad.

Kid is going to be a good NHL hockey player for a long time and it’s more likely at a Briere level than a Stafford level.

Hopefully he gets there faster than Briere did.

No one is talking about Nylander in Buffalo for next year.  All I am saying is that Nylander and Sam are the only, talent wise, top 6 type wingers in our system Sabres or otherwise.

I think there is a possibility of Nylander making the opening night roster. This off-season is going to be huge for him. One thing, he does have going for him is that he seems to be willing to put in the work to make himself better. another, who is his competiton on the wing? Girgensons, Wilson and even older pominville? There will be spots for him to win a job

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.