The Great Toronto Illusion (or should I say Delusion)

GASabresIUFAN

Makes sense. But Doughty will turn 30 in the first year of what will be a 7 year, massive $ deal. If he falls off when Keith did, they’ll get 3/4 years of a declining Doughty before his deal becomes a huge problem.

We know they are going to be really good either way, in my view I’d be happy to take that chance that a past his prime Doughty puts them over the edge for a few seasons, knowing what’s likely coming after.

Just my view.

I think the Sabres being so bad has completely taken my edge away, because I don't find myself caring about how well the leafs do, except to be jealous that it's not us, like I am of any random good team. 

They could win the cup this year and I wouldn't look twice except to snark an "I told you so!" any chance I get on here :P 

Please save us Botterill. 

The Leafs bottom line are still a developing team . Two years away from really competing with the best. They have many young players developing that wil come up to play next season and the next. And still assets to make trades to gain players or picks to build stronger. No illusions here they are anywhere ready this year. But they are well coached and managed they will compete hard as they did last season . It is a tall order to expect them win even a round this year

The management unlike the past are not fools

Edited by millbank

The Leafs bottom line are still a developing team . Two years away from really competing with the best. They have many young players developing that wil come up to play next season and the next. And still assets to make trades to gain players or picks to build stronger. No illusions here they are anywhere ready this year. But they are well coached and managed they will compete hard as they did last season . It is a tall order to expect them win even a round this year

Sadly, that seems true. :p

TO is relevant again. Hopefully the Sabres get to that stage as well w/in the next 2 seasons. If so, we could have the VERY rare situation of both teams being relevant @ the same time. It's only been the case for 2-5 seasons ever (depending on how relevance is defined), and hasn't happened at all in the 21st century.

A very balanced sober take.

But don’t underestimate their best forwards average 21 years of age.

They will be very good for a long time.

I just hope it’s San Jose good.

Your posts show a habit of taking sample sizes as small as one game and using them to confirm the notions you believed before that sample size happened.

Not to say I disagree with your overall point that the Leafs won't win the cup this year. But watching that team, coming away with "hopelessly flawed" is only something I could do if I desperately want to believe that that team isn't having more fun this season than we've had in my time as a sports fan.

I'm not sure why you have the confidence that the Sabres can approach 6th in the league in the next year, but I'm sure you won't feel the same way when the Leafs sign Doughty and add 2 top 4 D men in Dermott and Liljegren :angel:

If they sign Doughty that changes everything.  However, I'm not basing my opinion on one Leafs game, but many.  It's one of the nice things about Center Ice.  I think the last Sabres/Leafs game is a microcosm of what I have seen from TOR this season and that is speed and skill throughout the forward group.  Good puck handling D, that is terrible in their own zone and a goalie who makes some huge saves but is often out of position and allows Miller type softies at the wrong time.  

Isn't that exactly what we saw in the Sabres game last night?

If they sign Doughty that changes everything.  However, I'm not basing my opinion on one Leafs game, but many.  It's one of the nice things about Center Ice.  I think the last Sabres/Leafs game is a microcosm of what I have seen from TOR this season and that is speed and skill throughout the forward group.  Good puck handling D, that is terrible in their own zone and a goalie who makes some huge saves but is often out of position and allows Miller type softies at the wrong time.  

Isn't that exactly what we saw in the Sabres game last night?

I saw a team take more high-danger shots on us than any team has taken on any other team in the 2017-18 season, and I really think that's far more sustainable than counting on more Eichel-softies to happen against them :P 

That being said, facing Boston and then presumably Tampa is killer, as either of those teams are as much of a cup contender as any other NHL team this season.

I saw a team take more high-danger shots on us than any team has taken on any other team in the 2017-18 season, and I really think that's far more sustainable than counting on more Eichel-softies to happen against them :P

That being said, facing Boston and then presumably Tampa is killer, as either of those teams are as much of a cup contender as any other NHL team this season.

No question.  They are waves of offense, much like we were after the lockout, but their defense is brutal.  

I would be very surprised if they can afford Doughty. Leafs are already approaching cap issues. Spoke at length with a leaf fan yesterday on what they plan to do with Matthews contract. I think the obvious parallel will be a deal similar to Jack. The issue is the cap not next season but the season after. They signed Marleau for big money but it was a 3 year deal rather than a 2 year. I found that very interesting as that's the theoretical first season Matthews deal would kick in (not to mention I believe the first year of Marner and Nylanders though I don't know if they will be bridge or what). Marleau could be moved or have a nagging injury which gets them out of the last year but as of now I think they're a little tough to add a bunch of money. Also, GA, I really think you are flat out wrong about Anderson.

I would be very surprised if they can afford Doughty. Leafs are already approaching cap issues. Spoke at length with a leaf fan yesterday on what they plan to do with Matthews contract. I think the obvious parallel will be a deal similar to Jack. The issue is the cap not next season but the season after. They signed Marleau for big money but it was a 3 year deal rather than a 2 year. I found that very interesting as that's the theoretical first season Matthews deal would kick in (not to mention I believe the first year of Marner and Nylanders though I don't know if they will be bridge or what). Marleau could be moved or have a nagging injury which gets them out of the last year but as of now I think they're a little tough to add a bunch of money. Also, GA, I really think you are flat out wrong about Anderson.

One way the Leafs can afford a higher price player is that as they often pitch players a combination of salary and endorsement income . The Leafs can pay a player less but sit them down with Home Hardware, Canadian tire ect sign deals with them that will add substantially more than they might elsewhere . That player a face across a entire country. Don’t be surprised to see Matthews Marner and the like to sign with Leafs for less than one would think . That would be similar to free agents. This is more true now as the Leafs appear to have the pieces to be a winning team than in past where they were a clown show

Edited by millbank

Leafs got Babs and Anderson. he (Anderson) wins them games constantly. which is clearly something our goaltending rarely does. I find it kind interesting that when the Leafs purposely tanked to get Mathews (and I don't blame them) no one said anything. We tank (whether on purpose or not) and the whole world seems to be going on and on about it (still are). 

Leafs got Babs and Anderson. he (Anderson) wins them games constantly. which is clearly something our goaltending rarely does. I find it kind interesting that when the Leafs purposely tanked to get Mathews (and I don't blame them) no one said anything. We tank (whether on purpose or not) and the whole world seems to be going on and on about it (still are). 

When you come right out and boldly announce a plan of suffering, you are going to get more negative attention than when you do it quietly, regardless of how obvious the actions are.

When you come right out and boldly announce a plan of suffering, you are going to get more negative attention than when you do it quietly, regardless of how obvious the actions are.

They also did start two seasons cheering for a loss in game 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Bruins making them look like PeeWees.

Delusion it is, they're not built for the playoffs. Stanley Cup parade on hold.

What a shock... Not! Not enough D and goaltending. I said this at the beginning of this thread. No surprise it’s becoming even more obvious in the playoffs.

Is everyone still sure Anderson is a championship caliber goalie?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

One way the Leafs can afford a higher price player is that as they often pitch players a combination of salary and endorsement income . The Leafs can pay a player less but sit them down with Home Hardware, Canadian tire ect sign deals with them that will add substantially more than they might elsewhere . That player a face across a entire country. Don’t be surprised to see Matthews Marner and the like to sign with Leafs for less than one would think . That would be similar to free agents. This is more true now as the Leafs appear to have the pieces to be a winning team than in past where they were a clown show

Might happen, but if I'm a player with a good agent I know I'd get those deals anyway without help from the leafs organization.

What a shock... Not! Not enough D and goaltending. I said this at the beginning of this thread. No surprise it’s becoming even more obvious in the playoffs.

Is everyone still sure Anderson is a championship caliber goalie?

Only one game but just like has all year played very well

42 shots on goal . We definitely see a different game out there Anderson has played well since he became a Leaf and without him this season would have been a marginal playoff team at best. They are young and learning likely two years away from being good most of their core are between 21- 18 years old . With more youth to add still

Edited by millbank

• 2 weeks later...

More evidence tonight that the Leafs aren’t ready for prime time. Up 4-3 in the 3rd they give up 4 straight goals to lose the game and the series.

Their D and goaltending simply isn’t good enough.

Pretty big they didn't win this, for our sake. This would have been a massive step for them

More evidence tonight that the Leafs aren’t ready for prime time. Up 4-3 in the 3rd they give up 4 straight goals to lose the game and the series.

While I won't argue the last point, it's important to note that in best of seven series, they were leading in the third period of game 7.  Yeah, they choked in that period, but they were definitely in this series until the end.

Auston Matthews' performance, or lack thereof, is notable.  However, if he learns from this and the Leafs pick up a couple of defenders this year, they will be tough next year.

You really can't argue Andersen being anything but an above average goalie can you? Especially when your opinion is their defence is bad (it is). I just don't really think you can argue the numbers. If you want I'll go get them to prove my point but a quick search is really all that's necessary. Edited by LikeEich

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.