The Great Toronto Illusion (or should I say Delusion)

GASabresIUFAN

I have a hard time dancing on the grave of a team that is light years better than Buffalo. Almost every move they have made the last 5 years worked in their favor. I'm sure some of it was dumb luck but hats off to an org that did it the right way.

Yup. I’m jealous of what their fans have right now.

Rielly is also only their 3rd best defenseman. Zaitsev and Gardiner are both better.

Gardiner was absolutely awful last night...no question the leafs defense is not much better then the Sabres...having said that, absolutel everything the team (Leafs) did worked out while everything this team (Sabres) has done has pretty much self-imploded. They got babs when we supposedly had him signed and delivered...they won the draft lottery after tanking to get Mathews (funny no one said a thing about the leafs obviously tanking yet we still hear it about he Sabres tanking to get McDavid). 

If there is one thing I agree with, it is that the leafs basically just threw out all their young guys and let them learn and grow as players as they played. We keep guys forever down and when we bring them up expect miracles right away or send them back destroying any confidence they may have had. Hockey like any sport is so driven by confidence and momentum and the Sabres have none. The players are so down and stuck in a losing mentality that breaking that  will be hard. But putting so much pressure on Nylander among others is not going to work. It is destroying any chance he had of growing into a good player. No wonder players go elsewhere to finally reach their potential.      

Edited by Sabre fan

@LikeEich

Although I completely agree with you that Anderson is a legit, good goaltender, his numbers will not help your argument. Yes the leafs D are bad, but he sported an .860 save percentage in the series. Plus, the biggest game, when they needed him most, he let in 6 goals (of which some were in the Ryan Miller Mr. Softy variety).

I have a hard time dancing on the grave of a team that is light years better than Buffalo. Almost every move they have made the last 5 years worked in their favor. I'm sure some of it was dumb luck but hats off to an org that did it the right way.

Just because you are right doesn’t mean I can’t bask in a few scant moments of joy at the misfortune of others.

It’s all we have. ????

@LikeEich

Although I completely agree with you that Anderson is a legit, good goaltender, his numbers will not help your argument. Yes the leafs D are bad, but he sported an .860 save percentage in the series. Plus, the biggest game, when they needed him most, he let in 6 goals (of which some were in the Ryan Miller Mr. Softy variety).

Prior to this season I’ve always considered Andersen and Lehner to be in the same broad tier of mediocre starters.

Their games went in opposite directions this season along with their teams, but before that the numbers backed me up.

He sure looked a lot like a Lehner last night.

Edited by dudacek

@LikeEichAlthough I completely agree with you that Anderson is a legit, good goaltender, his numbers will not help your argument. Yes the leafs D are bad, but he sported an .860 save percentage in the series. Plus, the biggest game, when they needed him most, he let in 6 goals (of which some were in the Ryan Miller Mr. Softy variety).

Ryan Miller, one of the best goalies we've had here, will not be given any leeway at all. Time heals all wounds, except Buffalo fans scorned, who will take their antiquated, out of touch, baseless opinions of him to their grave.

Only one game but just like has all year played very well

42 shots on goal . We definitely see a different game out there Anderson has played well since he became a Leaf and without him this season would have been a marginal playoff team at best. They are young and learning likely two years away from being good most of their core are between 21- 18 years old . With more youth to add still

whats the core Dmen? is and will be the achilles heel for year unless they can figure it out. 

If you can't dance on the graves of your hated rivals, you're missing half the fun of being a fan. 

Oh, and F U WildCard for locking the playoff thread while I was in the midst of a giant response. You need to go away, The thread locker forums are thatta way.

Now I hope you tear your ACLs along with Matthews

Now I hope you tear your ACLs along with Matthews

OMG. You wished bodily injury on me? How dare you. You have no life perspective. I'm a real person! We need to be nicer to each other because reading the context of a conversation is hard! Now let me project more about an annoyance in life onto your obviously joking comment! 

OMG. You wished bodily injury on me? How dare you. You have no life perspective. I'm a real person! We need to be nicer to each other because reading the context of a conversation is hard! Now let me project more about an annoyance in life onto your obviously joking comment! 

If I had more room in my sig this would be added :lol:

I've had my coffee and I'm better now, dealing with bags all evening with minor complaints and threats of suing really wears on you. God my job sucks, anyways, I think Matthews is due for a musculoskeletal injury since both mcjesus and ankle had theirs....

I've had my coffee and I'm better now, dealing with ###### bags all evening with minor complaints and threats of suing really wears on you. God my job sucks, anyways, I think Matthews is due for a musculoskeletal injury since both mcjesus and ankle had theirs....

You really get threatened with lawsuites that much?

Dude, it's the fallback for every single American ever.... Hell, they would threaten to sue if their coffee in the waiting room was not an adequate temp.... Tis the country we groomed, ambulance chasing dickwads

Is it not Thursday??!! There's a better thread for venting

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

SeanFitz_GeraldVerified account @SeanFitz_Gerald

FollowFollow @SeanFitz_Gerald

More

SeanFitz_Gerald Retweeted Michael Grange

"Towards the end, Babcock lost Matthews. I don't know what happened, but he lost him. And there was no trust anymore. And then, Matthews can't start a hockey game. He can't start a period. He can't start a power-play off a TV timeout." - Kypreos

Yea, I have no idea where Kypreos is coming from there. Matthews played a whopping 2 fewer seconds in game 7 than his regular season average. Should Babcock give him more ice time in genreal? Yea, I definitely think so, but his usage was precisely what we'd have expected to see given the rest of the season.

Seriously?!?

He delivers babies for a living. If the kid comes out w/ the wrong eye color, he's getting the blame.

Next to his travel agent, his lawyer has to be the person he spends the most quality time with. ;)

Seriously?!?

He delivers babies for a living. If the kid comes out w/ the wrong eye color, he's getting the blame.

Next to his travel agent, his lawyer has to be the person he spends the most quality time with. ;)

Well my travel agent is me.... So, I think I'm spending wayyyyyyyy too much time with myself... That's the issue!!

Yea, I have no idea where Kypreos is coming from there. Matthews played a whopping 2 fewer seconds in game 7 than his regular season average. Should Babcock give him more ice time in genreal? Yea, I definitely think so, but his usage was precisely what we'd have expected to see given the rest of the season.

Pretty sure that in the playoffs, the 4th line loses time & the other guys absorb it.

Who knows. If 2 seasons of non-playoff performance can weigh on young Matthews and draw the, wait for it, ... CHOKER label & success; maybe them "being good" wasn't as depression inducing as initially perceived. :)

Well my travel agent is me.... So, I think I'm spending wayyyyyyyy too much time with myself... That's the issue!!

Clearly. That explains SOOOOO much. :p

Lol at Kypreos. Babcock's best attribute might be his line-matching and talent maximization with that usage/line structure. 

--------------------------

I'm super happy that Toronto lost, just because the place I frequent with a lot of Leafs fans will be far less annoying than usual today. 

That doesn't stop me from feeling like that in a series where their goalie Lehnered it up, their star center was nowhere to be found, as was prospect #2, and their #2D crapped his pants regularly, they still pushed a top 4 team in the league and one that could wind up in the finals to the third period of game seven, while we dick around doing what we do. 

Oh well. Figure it out Botterill. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.