The Great Toronto Illusion (or should I say Delusion)

GASabresIUFAN

Here we are with another game against the “elite” Toronto Leafs. As usual, there is another article from the Toronto media how great Toronto’s turnaround has been, how they are an elite team and the Sabres are regressing. As usual they ignore that the Leafs have stunk for 50 years. No Conference Championships, no Cups, no President’s Trophies and only one division championship in 50 years. They also ignore how this rebuilt Toronto team has it’s own decade of true ineptitude. JVR was 2nd overall in 2007. Key center Kadri was their top pick in 2009. In fact, if not for the Kessel trade, the Leafs would have selected in the top 10 from 2008 to 2016 every year but one. Talk about a decade of failure.

So far the Sabres have stunk now going on 6 years, and we are still along way from being real competition for the Leafs, but the Leafs are far from an elite team and far from being a true Cup contender despite what the Tor media thinks. Their defense may be worse then the Sabres and their goaltending is nearly as bad. The thing that is driving the Leafs is a prolific offense. However, this to may be adjusting soon. Nylander is an RFA, JVR and Komerov are UFAs. They are also in cap hell and may not be keep this squad together and fix their issues.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Here we are with another game against the “elite” Toronto Leafs. As usual, there is another article from the Toronto media how great Toronto’s turnaround has been, how they are an elite team and the Sabres are regressing. As usual they ignore that the Leafs have stunk for 50 years. No Conference Championships, no Cups, no President’s Trophies and only one division championship in 50 years. They also ignore how this rebuilt Toronto team has it’s in a decade of true ineptitude. JVR was 2nd overall in 2007. Key center Kadri was their top pick in 2009. In fact, if not for the Kessel trade, the Leafs would have selected in the top 10 from 2008 to 2016 every year but one. Talk about a decade of failure.

So far the Sabres have stunk now going on 6 years, and we are still along way from being real competition for the Leafs, but the Leafs are far from an elite team and far from being a true Cup contender despite what the Tor media thinks. Their defense may be worse then the Sabres and their goaltending is nearly as bad. The thing that is driving the Leafs is a prolific offense. However, this to may be adjusting soon. Nylander is an RFA, JVR and Komerov are UFAs. They are also in cap hell and may not be keep this squad together and fix their issues.

I agree with a lot of this except goaltending. They are being outshot almost every game. Anderson is an absolute stud.

The only delusion is denying they're set for an extended run of championship contention. Their cap situation is fine, and they have an elite farm system to replenish vets who depart. Our only hope is Lou starts doing the things he did at the end if his Devils tenure.

Ugh, that’s depressing......

Andersen is a very good goalie whose season on balance has been, very good. 

They've been flirting with or in top 5 in the entire NHL after being ~15th last year after being dead last the year before. Their underlying metrics are rock solid, their franchise is locked into elite young players under 25 years old, And they have wave after wave of prospects. Dermott and Liljegren will be good top 4 D and are having EXCELLENT post draft seasons, and their second wave of forwards coming up from the farm is better than any wave we have. Like I said, they have a rando 7th rounder putting up a point per game for the Marlies. 

They're almost a top five team with Matthews missing two decent stretches and play well without him. It's disappointing, but it is what it is and we won't catch up to them anytime soon. 

Sabres have Casey, Alex and a top 5 pick coming this year.

Any chance they close the talent gap in the next year or two between us and the Leafs?

Clearly they have much better depth, but that is typically the easiest thing to fix.

Edited by dudacek

Rielly is also only their 3rd best defenseman. Zaitsev and Gardiner are both better.

Zaitsev is having a terrible year according to a TSN article today.

Any chance they close the talent gap in the next year or two between us and the Leafs?

Clearly they have much better depth, but that is typically the easiest thing to fix.

Absolutely. Add Asplund as well.

I'd be happy if our 4th/5th OA D looks like Dermott OR Liljegren in his ensuing seasons, and Alex is not good

guys like Kapanen are like if Bailey actually worked out

It's a travesty 

This is how I'd rank players in our prospect pools:

1.) Mittelstadt/Liljegren

2.) Kapanen

3.) Dermott

4.) Grundstrom (PPG in WJC, 14G in 32 SHL games after being drafted 2 years ago)

5.) Guhle

6.) Andreas Johnsson

7.) Asplund
8.) Borgman

9.) Ullmark 

and then a bunch of stuff that I don't think will be NHL players

And this is with them graduating three major prospects versus our Eichel and 40 point winger Reinhart.

This is how I'd rank players in our prospect pools:

1.) Mittelstadt/Liljegren

2.) Kapanen

3.) Dermott

4.) Grundstrom (PPG in WJC, 14G in 32 SHL games after being drafted 2 years ago)

5.) Guhle

6.) Andreas Johnsson

7.) Asplund

8.) Borgman

9.) Ullmark 

and then a bunch of stuff that I don't think will be NHL playersAnd this is with them graduating three major prospects versus our Eichel and 40 point winger Reinhart.

Have you given up on Nylander??

Not completely, but he'll make the list when he engages on the ice for the first time since being drafted. His production is up but people at the games are saying that he's still completely lost and disinterested out there.

That will be a real set back, blowing a top pick like that. If we could hit on a few second and third round picks, that might be nice

That will be a real set back, blowing a top pick like that. If we could hit on a few second and third round picks, that might be nice

Read through the Amerks thread. He hasn't turned a corner. He's piling up secondary assists and garbage time goals.

Hoping Guhle and Asplund can be those guys. I think they're both going to be good NHLers.

REAL hard to project forward, but Davidsson looked like a forechecking demon at the WJC. Caught almost all of Sweden's games in person. He's the non-1st rounder I'd be interested in following the progress of.

The only delusion is denying they're set for an extended run of championship contention. Their cap situation is fine, and they have an elite farm system to replenish vets who depart. Our only hope is Lou starts doing the things he did at the end if his Devils tenure.

I mean they're still the Leafs. It's like believing the Jets will ever win a championship again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.