Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

Well then you do something creative if you're a good GM, eat some cap for them, make it a multi player or multi team deal. You do SOMETHING.

There is nothing here on deadline day to give anyone even a glimmer of hope that this team will be in any way better next year after this deadline. Anything to build on. Anything.

I do agree with this last part. I was hoping for anything to make me more optimistic about next season, or even more to be excited about at the draft. We didn't get anything really.

The team is in really bad shape. And we basically need Mittelstadt to be as amazing as we're all hoping and/or some draft lottery luck to feel like we're going anywhere in the near term. Or for GMJB to be a wizard in trades this summer. And all of those feel like stretches.

It's a depressing day.

Look at who all fetched 1sts, clearly this has nothing to do with Botterhill, and more to do with Kane. GMS clearly don't want this guy in their dressing rooms. Teams would rather pay a higher price, for a player significantly older, with less points, to not run the risk of infecting the dressing room. That's it, that's all folks.

I'm upset we didn't get the package I wanted, but extremely pleased someone took him off our hands for something. Now to start fixing the issues

This sensible thinking has no place on this board.

The same old excuses for every GM we ever get, in either franchise. Sorry I'm not exactly pleased with a low return on our biggest bargaining chip

I would encourage you to view Kane as the most easily moved bargaining chip, not necessarily the biggest.  I firmly believe that the value for Kane went downhill when the Blues decided to dump Stastny.  It might have been waivering if people knew the Jets were going after a 3rd line center that would solidify their lineup and make them a strong favorite for reaching the conference finals.

They whiffed on Brassard, they missed out on Plekanec and ended up with Stastny and ultimately I think they ended up with the best player of the three.

I suppose my view on where the Sabres are at is more optimistic at this point than others and that might play into it.  I am sure Botterill can move a few players if he wants to do so in the off-season.  There are players on this roster than can improve the team in trades made in the off-season.  Improve the team far more than what Kane was going to get the team today.

San Jose was mentioned as a team who might be interested in signing him well before this

I suppose my view on where the Sabres are at is more optimistic at this point than others and that might play into it.  I am sure Botterill can move a few players if he wants to do so in the off-season.  There are players on this roster than can improve the team in trades made in the off-season.  Improve the team far more than what Kane was going to get the team today.

ROR and Reinhart come to mind

This assertion comes after you admit we'll never know. 

The big question we all have is why get upset over something you even state we have no way of knowing. You suspect that? I certainly don't and have no reason to. 

Especially when all reports indicated the exact opposite. While I agree twitter reporters suck, they are ALL we have, and they suggest the opposite of what you posit and then make hard conclusions about and get angry at.

That’s incorrect, the news reports were that we wanted a 1st (2018), a good prospect and another pick. Teams weren’t willing to go that high, yet. The Craig Custance interview on GR on 2/20 says that Jbot’s asking price looked about right given the comparables. While the report on this deal kinda sorta looks like what he said he wanted, it’s not even close. All he really got a 2nd (2019), a 24 yr old former prospect and a de-valued 4th rd picks because it’s 2 years from now. Read Cullen’s article on TSN and you’ll have a clear understanding of how Jbot missed badly on this deal.

The “prospect” in this deal is 24. We got a decent player named Wilson, 25, earlier this season for a 5th rd pick. We acquired Smith, who looks very similar to O’Regan for nothing as a college UFA. O’Regan has 5 pts in 22 NHL games. Griffith, again, another similar player in size and age in our organization, gave us similar production and was sent back to the AHL.

I saw this too.  I think there's a very good chance that it happens.

Then we just need SJ to fall off the table next year.

In the glass 1/2 full department, by having that pick's contingency whether or not Kane is back next year, the Sabres have a possibility of getting a top 1/2 of the 1st (maybe even a too 3 pick w/ a truckload of luck). Any of the other trades proposed (2nd or lottery protected 1st) pretty much guaranteed it would be a lower pick (though possibly a year earlier).

Said yesterday, not expecting much from this deadline day. At least in that regard, not disappointed. :lol:

I was listening to the NHL channel on XM and they thought SJS may be a perfect landing spot for Kane because of the strong veteran leadership in the locker room and the opportunity to be on a playoff contending team. I hope it works out for our sake.

San Jose was mentioned as a team who might be interested in signing him well before this

ROR and Reinhart come to mind

Why would you move either of them as they can be part of the core moving forward ? Best face off guy around having a decent season and Reinhart finding his game. 

"Kane got off to a great start this year, but has slumped and even with goals in Buffalo’s last two games, has just five points (4 G, 1 A) in the past 21 games." might also have something to do with it. Unfortunately, Kane bottomed out when we needed him to peak.

That’s incorrect, the news reports were that we wanted a 1st (2018), a good prospect and another pick. Teams weren’t willing to go that high, yet. The Craig Custance interview on GR on 2/20 says that Jbot’s asking price looked about right given the comparables. While the report on this deal kinda sorta looks like what he said he wanted, it’s not even close. All he really got a 2nd (2019), a 24 yr old former prospect and a de-valued 4th rd picks because it’s 2 years from now. Read Cullen’s article on TSN and you’ll have a clear understanding of how Jbot missed badly on this deal.

The “prospect” in this deal is 24. We got a decent player named Wilson, 25, earlier this season for a 5th rd pick. We acquired Smith, who looks very similar to O’Regan for nothing as a college UFA. O’Regan has 5 pts in 22 NHL games. Griffith, again, another similar player in size and age in our organization, gave us similar production and was sent back to the AHL.

Have you looked at the West standings ? San Jose is no lock to even make the playoffs as they're only 2 up on 8th now. They paid for 19 games.