Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

Here's one for the fantasy world. Win the lottery, draft Dahlin. Make a deal with Ottawa for Karlsson by taking on the Bobby Ryan contract. Now imagine a D with the Housley system where Karlsson and Dahlin are your first pair and Risto and Scandella are your second...............................

No. I'm not helping Ottawa. They are already screwed because Karlsson wants out. I'm not taking on Bobby Ryan's 7.25 mil through 2022. Karlsson has one year left. He seems to hate Ottawa.

Bobby Ryan sucks and I'm sick of helping other teams fix their mistakes.

No. I'm not helping Ottawa. They are already screwed because Karlsson wants out. I'm not taking on Bobby Ryan's 7.25 mil through 2022. Karlsson has one year left. He seems to hate Ottawa.

Bobby Ryan sucks and I'm sick of helping other teams fix their mistakes.

+1

Here's one for the fantasy world. Win the lottery, draft Dahlin.    Make a deal with Ottawa for Karlsson by taking on the Bobby Ryan contract. Now imagine a D with the Housley system where Karlsson and Dahlin are your first pair and Risto and Scandella are your second...............................

And then sign Tavares... finally a team...

Ah the TM approach!

What are you trading to get Karlsson? They want an arm and a leg. They will want Risto back. What are you paying Tavares? 10 a year for 7 years to a 27 year old. So you got two stars, one of which, Karlsson, may already be declining and killed our cap situation.

Ah the TM approach!

What are you trading to get Karlsson? They want an arm and a leg. They will want Risto back. What are you paying Tavares? 10 a year for 7 years to a 27 year old. So you got two stars, one of which, Karlsson, may already be declining and killed our cap situation.

That is hardly a reason to balk at a Karlsson trade :lol:

Ah the TM approach!

Hell no, the fantasy is we take the Bobby Ryan contract and throw them a few draft picks, that's it. Not giving them anything AND eating that contract.

Tavares I would give the money. Okposo had his best season playing with him. Even Moulson had a good year on his wing. Makes everyone you put beside him better. One of the most underrated stars in the league. But no way does he seriously consider coming to us. If there is a rumor, it'll just be a negotiating tactic like we've seen before. 

Hell no, the fantasy is we take the Bobby Ryan contract and throw them a few draft picks, that's it. Not giving them anything AND eating that contract.

Tavares I would give the money. Okposo had his best season playing with him. Even Moulson had a good year on his wing. Makes everyone you put beside him better. One of the most underrated stars in the league. But no way does he seriously consider coming to us. If there is a rumor, it'll just be a negotiating tactic like we've seen before.

We are at 57 mill right now for 15 players. Even if Ott gives us Karlsson for picks and us taking Ryan, you still have to sign Karlsson. Add the cost to sign Tavares and you are spending to the cap before completing your team. Ryan is already dead weight and god knows how many years left on his bad deal. Now how are you going to pay Sam? We also still wouldn’t have adequate depth.

It’s a nice fantasy, but this strategy already failed once with younger players.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

No

27 FEDUN 0.43 3-4

41 FALK 0.41 18-26

45 GUHLE 0.40 6-9

8 NELSON 0.38 13-21

93 ANTIPIN 0.36 17-30

55 RISTOLAINEN 0.34 24-46

38 REDMOND 0.33 1-2

6 SCANDELLA 0.32 25-54

82 BEAULIEU 0.27 15-41

5 TENNYSON 0.27 4-11

19 MCCABE 0.26 14-39

47 BOGOSIAN 0.22 4-14

4 GORGES 0.18 6-27

I can't believe Nelson, Falk, and Fedun are better than Risto and Scandella

Im not eating Bobby Ryans contract for 4 years. We already have to eat Okposo's most likely. 

I think Murray should consider trading Ristolainen. This season he just seemed to refuse to adpat his game. 

He's young, cheap, remarkably consistent in getting 40 points every year, despite garbage d-pair, and he's always healthy. Ristolainen is a perfect fit for this team; if he was anywhere else in the league we'd be clamoring about trading RoR for him

Ah the TM approach!

JBots should figure out a way to have Karlsson, Risto and Scandella on the Sabres blueline next year along with Tavares up front.  :thumbsup:  

I can't believe Nelson, Falk, and Fedun are better than Risto and Scandella

You're looking at it wrong. If you play every game, you're winning percentage will be the same as the team's winning percentage. So Nelson does not compare to Risto or Scandella. The stat is telling you that when Nelson plays instead of Georges or Bogo, the team has a much higher winning percentage.

It is, of course, not the best stat in the world, because Nelson has played more recently, and the team is a little better recently (I think), so Nelson gets some benefit from that.

You're looking at it wrong. If you play every game, you're winning percentage will be the same as the team's winning percentage. So Nelson does not compare to Risto or Scandella. The stat is telling you that when Nelson plays instead of Georges or Bogo, the team has a much higher winning percentage.

It is, of course, not the best stat in the world, because Nelson has played more recently, and the team is a little better recently (I think), so Nelson gets some benefit from that.

Nelson is fools gold. He's serviceable depth at best, he's not an NHL top 4 pairing talent. It's just an illusion because he's on such a bad team.

Nelson is fools gold. He's serviceable depth at best, he's not an NHL top 4 pairing talent. It's just an illusion because he's on such a bad team.

That's pretty much my thought as well.  Put some talent on D and he'll look like the bottom feeder he is.

I keep going back to how good Zemgus looked when we were forced to feature him.  IMO we have the same dynamic at play here.

He turns the puck over constantly. But, these defenseman need time to improve. All these defenseman are so young, we could just go with Nelson, Scandella, Risto, Mcabe, Beaulieu, Guhle, Antipin and Bogo and just count on all of them simply improving--not Bogo, we are stuck with him. The one thing that really worries me is the lack of offense from the group. I'm not into throwing baby out with bath water, it might be frustrating but the defense needs time to mature and grow.

He turns the puck over constantly. But, these defenseman need time to improve. All these defenseman are so young, we could just go with Nelson, Scandella, Risto, Mcabe, Beaulieu, Guhle, Antipin and Bogo and just count on all of them simply improving--not Bogo, we are stuck with him. The one thing that really worries me is the lack of offense from the group. I'm not into throwing baby out with bath water, it might be frustrating but the defense needs time to mature and grow.

Beaulieu is 25 and has played 4 full NHL seasons, I'm not banking on him becoming any better than one of the worst defensemen I've seen wear this uniform. 

And Scandella has been playing full NHL seasons since 11-12.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Beaulieu is 25 and has played 4 full NHL seasons, I'm not banking on him becoming any better than one of the worst defensemen I've seen wear this uniform. 

And Scandella has been playing full NHL seasons since 11-12.

Yes, maybe I'm being optimistic, but then I look to see what we have to replace them and I don't see anything. Hey, if we bring in the Caps Carlson, sure throw those two aside. Until then, they are the horses we ride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.