Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

I thought McCabe was playing really well just before he got hurt.   I pencil him in the top 4, with Risto and Scandella.    Risto and McCabe would make a very good 2nd pairing IMO.    I'm comfortable with Scandella on the first pairing with TBD.

That said, I'd consider moving Risto if the right deal came along.    He's not exactly a great fit in this system, he just doesn't have the skating ability and his passing is questionable.    Swap Guhle into the 2nd pairing with McCabe, and Scandella with some stud who can QB the PP, and now you're talking.    All top 4 guys can skate and move the puck.    Let Bogo, Nelson, Beaulieu, etc... fill in the 3rd pairing.

Edited by pi2000

My post certainly wasn’t my hope.

It’s just reality based on contracts.

Risto and Scandella are desirable but we need more of them, not less.

Like Flagg said, Nelson is exactly what teams look for in a number 6 spot.

Bogosian might surprise and actually play 75 games one year, just like Justin Bailey might score 20. Until then we can’t count on him to be a top 4. No one is trading for him.

Beaulieu is under contract and probably has more value as someone battling for the bottom pair role than as a trade chip.

McCabe is a good trade chip. Until then, he, Nelson and Beaulieu comprise a reasonable 5,6,7. Antipin fits there too, but I do think he’s behind the other three.

Guhle is the guy you want to slot in at 4, but he doesn’t look ready to me. He has good trade value.

I see five options:

1) win the lottery, draft Dahlin

2) sign Dehaan or someone similar

3) trade McCabe or Guhle plus for a Scandella-or-better type.

4) Run Guhle, McCabe, Bogosian, Beaulieu, Antipin and Nelson in the 3-8 spots hoping two emerge as 20-minute guys.

5) a blockbuster type deal where Risto and/or O’Reilly and/or Reinhart is involved in a multiplayer roster remake

This is reasonable and all-encompassing to the point where I have nothing to add except a nod.

I expect some players will be traded for scraps. I think the summer is a better time to trade players then the deadline because teams will be building for next year.

I’m very interested to see how Stevie Y manages that cap this summer. There might be a very good forward (Killorn) and a D or two made available because of cap issues.

To everyone who is saying Guhle fits well as a bottom pair guy....I have high hopes he will be a top 4 guy very soon. Does he look like a top 2 or top 4 guy right now...no. But he is only what....20 years old?  Give him a year or two, and I think there is a decent chance he becomes a #2 or #3 spot NHL d-man. 

To everyone who is saying Guhle fits well as a bottom pair guy....I have high hopes he will be a top 4 guy very soon. Does he look like a top 2 or top 4 guy right now...no. But he is only what....20 years old?  Give him a year or two, and I think there is a decent chance he becomes a #2 or #3 spot NHL d-man. 

Just with his skating alone, there simply IS potential to get him to that level. It's on the Sabres to get him there, and I hope they can do it and ditch their historical trend to be sucky at development in the process.

Jbot decision making on the D next year will be a series of steps.

Step 1. How well do Nelson and Guhle finish the year in Buffalo and then perform in the AHL playoffs. If one or both play well they could solidify a spot (s) in Buffalo next fall.

Step 2. Win the lottery, step 3 and beyond change dramatically. If we get the 1st pick and thus Dahlin, jbot’s view of Free Agency and or the trade market goes from look for a top 4 to looking for depth.

Step 3. Evaluate the NHL depth. Antipin, Baloo and Falk. Do any if them have a role here next season. Right now I’m saying no to all three. Baloo’s contract may leave him in Buffalo next season, but hopefully as the 8th D. I’m also saying a depth role only for Bogo if even healthy enough to play. LTIR if he isn’t.

Step 4. Get picks 2-4 in the lottery, Jbot needs to find a top 4 D to go with Scandella and Risto. Keep in mind that Scandella’s contract ends in 2 more seasons, so signing a DeHaan for 4 or 5 years isn’t a bad thing. It might even make sense even if we win the lottery, but it becomes less of a priority. With a no vote on the 4 depth guys, I’m also looking to sign a 5/6 guy such as Sustr in TB, but any reasonably priced bet will do.

Dream scenario?

Scandella Dahlin

DeHaan Ristolainen

McCabe Guhle

Nelson Baloo

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I'm not saying you're wrong, but boy oh boy would that be disappointing. Barring falling into Dahlin I don't expect us to add a top-pair capable player, but we should be able to find another Scandella-level guy.

If Bogosian starts the year pencilled in on the second pair, as our third best D man, I quit.

Yup, just needs time and to play a lot. Can say that about a few o the young defenseman

If Bogosian starts the year pencilled in on the second pair, as our third best D man, I quit.

lol, well, don't! He probably won't last long anyway

The easy way to delete your account is to go into settings > general > notifications > uninstall nurses.

:w00t:  Blame Eleven, I just copied and pasted

The easy way to delete your account is to go into settings > general > notifications > uninstall nurses.

:w00t:  Blame Eleven, I just copied and pasted

Uninstall nurses needs to become one of those ongoing inside jokes that prevents professional journalists from sticking around.

I’m lost. :lol:

(And yes I was obviously kidding)

I do like the Patteryn Idea

Scandella - Patteryn

Guhle - Ristolainen

McCabe - Dhalin

I like the pattern too:

Scandella - Patteryn

Guhle       - Patteryn

McCabe   - Patteryn

Risto        - Patteryn

Dahlin      - Patteryn

He might get injured in preseason. Or overdose on a speedball. But otherwise, yeah, get ready to quit because I don't see JB making any major changes to this fall's roster.

The funny thing is, as I recall, whenever Bogosian is healthy, our defense gets better.  I'm sure someone out there

can dig up our record with and without Bogo.  I bet it is indeed better with him.

The funny thing is, as I recall, whenever Bogosian is healthy, our defense gets better.  I'm sure someone out there

can dig up our record with and without Bogo.  I bet it is indeed better with him.

No

27 FEDUN 0.43 3-4

41 FALK 0.41 18-26

45 GUHLE 0.40 6-9

8 NELSON 0.38 13-21

93 ANTIPIN 0.36 17-30

55 RISTOLAINEN 0.34 24-46

38 REDMOND 0.33 1-2

6 SCANDELLA 0.32 25-54

82 BEAULIEU 0.27 15-41

5 TENNYSON 0.27 4-11

19 MCCABE 0.26 14-39

47 BOGOSIAN 0.22 4-14

4 GORGES 0.18 6-27

So, our defense should be

Falk           - Fedun

Guhle        - Nelson

Antipin      - Risto

Extras:

Scandella  - Redmond

Beaulieu

Ditch:

McCabe    - Bogo

Georges   - Tennyson

It's a good thing that we gave up Enzo and Foligno for Scandella then.

I guess that they eye-test isn't always right...or there's that thing about stats and small sample sizes (Redmond).

So, our defense should be

Falk - Fedun

Guhle - Nelson

Antipin - Risto

Extras:

Scandella - Redmond

Beaulieu

Ditch:

McCabe - Bogo

Georges - Tennyson

It's a good thing that we gave up Enzo and Foligno for Scandella then.

I guess that they eye-test isn't always right...or there's that thing about stats and small sample sizes (Redmond).

No, because Scandella is playing tougher minutes. You're ignoring context.

Exactly. And Bogo last played when the Sabres as a whole team were stinking up the joint even worse than now.

You were missing my sarcasm. :-)

Missing it? It punched me in the face haha. Good post. You're right i didn't pick up on it. Edited by Skurk Liger

Bogo brings nothing.  His play, durability, and contract all suck.  My hope is that he is relegated to the Gorges role next near as the 7/8 defenseman.  Either that, or the Moulson role of being buried in the minors.  Doesn't seem that we're far off from seeing one of those scenarios.  Only 2 more years of that $5.15 million cap hit.  The countdown continues.

Bogo brings nothing.  His play, durability, and contract all suck.  My hope is that he is relegated to the Gorges role next near as the 7/8 defenseman.  Either that, or the Moulson role of being buried in the minors.  Doesn't seem that we're far off from seeing one of those scenarios.  Only 2 more years of that $5.15 million cap hit.  The countdown continues.

He brings a big pay check

Thank you. I feel like the injuries have overshadowed the biggest problem with Bogo: he's not good. He could play all 82 games as our #3/4 and we'd still be screwed on the blue line because he's a bad defenseman. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.