Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

No we don't make that trade.

Why? Both are high skill and slow developing prospects. They need forwards with the Sedins leaving town and we are desperate for D and with Risto here and Wowie as coach, this might be a better place for Joulevi.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Bostons defense is so much better than our defense that they might as well be playing in different leagues

This is what happens when you have good scouts and actually draft defensemen.

Boston has used 6 of those 11 picks on D, including McAvoy and Carlo.  They also drafted Donato, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, and future star Trent Frederic.  In fact of the 9 picks from 2014 to 2016, 5 are already with the Bruins. 

Since 2013, Buffalo and Boston each have had 11 1st and 2nd rd picks.  Buffalo used just one on a D.  Just one and that is Guhle.  Also note that of our 8 picks from 2014-2016 only Sam, Jack and Guhle are current Sabres.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This is what happens when you have good scouts and actually draft defensemen.

Boston has used 6 of those 11 picks on D, including McAvoy and Carlo.  They also drafted Donato, Pastrnak, DeBrusk, and future star Trent Frederic.  In fact of the 9 picks from 2014 to 2016, 5 are already with the Bruins. 

Since 2013, Buffalo and Boston each have had 11 1st and 2nd rd picks.  Buffalo used just one on a D.  Just one and that is Guhle.  Also note that of our 8 picks from 2014-2016 only Sam, Jack and Guhle are current Sabres.

Krug was not even drafted, they got him out of college as an undrafted free agent. I hope JBott is more like this is scouting and signing players. 

Yes but, JT Compher plays in the league. Asplund played professionally in Sweden last season. Nylander hasn't quite broke through. Baptiste seems to have a spot on the 3/4 line going forward. They did better under Murray but not great. I have high hopes for the team Botterill assembled. I don't worry about his 2017 class much because he didn't have his team in place. 2018 is a pivotal class from him. I wish he had another 2nd round pick.

While we may get other successes from our draft classes, the fact that Boston has been able to draft and develop so many so quickly and successfully is one of the reasons they are where they are and we are 31st.

As I’ve said many times if this rebuild is going to work sooner then later Ullmark, Asplund, Nylander, Olofsson, Borgen and Guhle must come through

While we may get other successes from our draft classes, the fact that Boston has been able to draft and develop so many so quickly and successfully is one of the reasons they are where they are and we are 31st.

As I’ve said many times if this rebuild is going to work sooner then later Ullmark, Asplund, Nylander, Olofsson, Borgen and Guhle must come through

Personally, after watching the good teams in the playoffs, I'd bet it takes later rather than sooner to turn this ship around. Next season will also be rough 

Say what you want about Boston's draft mistakes, they have a lot of drafted (and found) players in their line-up, but most of all what that team has is leadership. They are a TEAM and play like one. If we get soem actual leadership and draft as well as them we'll be alright in a year or three.

Doesn't that leadership come from guys they drafted or acquired a decade ago?

Um, well - okay:

“I'm told by @JennaCottrell that Casey Nelson is a healthy scratch for the Amerks in Syracuse. Amerks lost Game 1 and trail in the first period of Game 2.”

Paul Hamilton

He hasn't been that good down here. Much better with Buffalo. He plays pretty soft and Syracuse was really coming at them last night.

Who wins? Dahlin in his preference to play right side as a left shot, or Phil in his desire to have defensemen play the side that matches their handedness?

Just thinking the same thing.

Doesn't playing him on the right side seem like a better idea?

Holy crap. Think of the PP Eichel, Dahlin and Mittelstadt with Samson in front of the net

I'd give him a shot on the right side since that's his preference. That also pairs him with Scandella who is preferable as a partner over Ristolainen since he's more prone to mistakes than Scandella is as well.

Scandella Dahlin

McCabe Ristolainen

Guhle Bogosian

Antipin

Edited by Alkoholist

I'd give him a shot on the right side since that's his preference. That also pairs him with Scandella who is preferable as a partner over Ristolainen since he's more prone to mistakes than Scandella is as well.

Scandella Dahlin

McCabe Ristolainen

Guhle Bogosian

Antipin

You forgot Pilut

Just thinking the same thing.

Doesn't playing him on the right side seem like a better idea?

Holy crap. Think of the PP Eichel, Dahlin and Mittelstadt with Samson in front of the net

I would be inclined to do that. 

And it's not that Housley is a dictator about that, I've just heard him say it. Actually, come to think of it, LHD Antipin played on his preferred right side most of the time, so I think we'll see Dahlin on the right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.