46 members have voted

1. 1. His team will be...

• New York Islanders
    • NYI
    • San Jose
    • Tampa
    • Toronto

I'm either living or dying on this hill :lol:

It's kind of an annoying topic to have an opinion on, because there is a LOT of nuance to this particular free agency situation, and yet there are only two possible results, so somebody is going to have a particularly annoying "yeah... you're right, but still" :P

It's kind of an annoying topic to have an opinion on, because there is a LOT of nuance to this particular free agency situation, and yet there are only two possible results, so somebody is going to have a particularly annoying "yeah... you're right, but still" :P

Really it goes back to the whole Stamkos debate. I was right then and dammit I'll be right again. I don't want either of these players, I didn't want Stamkos and I don't want Tavares. That then just led to me saying why am I even arguing this, they're never leaving anyways

It's a terrible situation for him here. There is nothing here for him. We are a garbage team with a garbage record that will, within 3 years, be unable to afford him without putting us in such serious cap trouble we can't yet again ice a competitive team. We are a new GM with a new HC nowhere near ready to win now. What's he gonna do? Come here and throw on the Assistant Captain so he can lose for the next 5 years in the oh so glamorous city of Buffalo?

The "Because Buffalo" is strong with this one.

It's a terrible situation for him here. There is nothing here for him. We are a garbage team with a garbage record that will, within 3 years, be unable to afford him without putting us in such serious cap trouble we can't yet again ice a competitive team. We are a new GM with a new HC nowhere near ready to win now. What's he gonna do? Come here and throw on the Assistant Captain so he can lose for the next 5 years in the oh so glamorous city of Buffalo? 

I think you are underestimating what Dahlin coming here means. Risto gets pushed to the 2nd pairing where he belongs, Tavares plays #1 Center, Eichel is #2, Mittle is #3 and you trade O'Reilly to Montreal for some other really good stuff (he becomes expendable). Add in Guhle, Reinhart and possibly a bounce-back year from Okposo? 

If Tavares did come here, it would not be long before Buffalo is not only in the playoffs (next year), but probably contending for Cup by 2019. The vision is pretty easy to see if you add him to the mix.

I think you are underestimating what Dahlin coming here means. Risto gets pushed to the 2nd pairing where he belongs, Tavares plays #1 Center, Eichel is #2, Mittle is #3 and you trade O'Reilly to Montreal for some other really good stuff (he becomes expendable). Add in Guhle, Reinhart and possibly a bounce-back year from Okposo? 

If Tavares did come here, it would not be long before Buffalo is not only in the playoffs (next year), but probably contending for Cup by 2019. The vision is pretty easy to see if you add him to the mix.

You are going to pay 3 guys around $30M. I don't care how good they are, that's never going to work. We've already seen how Eichel and Tavares cannot carry a team of scrubs. Together they still can't carry a team of scrubs

Edited by WildCard

Still have no top line wingers, hoping Okposo gets back to form is a big hope, Reinhart is probably our best winger, but probably wouldnt be on the top line of any of the teams left in the conference finals.  You're assuming Mittelstadt is ready to rock, and make a difference on the third line, who's he playing with, Wilson, Bailey, Baptiste etc etc, none of them have proved they are ready to make an impact in the NHL

Tavares to Buffalo.  Book it.    B-)

My understanding is many of the Isles players don't like playing in Brooklyn as many of those with young families have houses further out on Long Island. And, the new Islanders arena won't be done until the 2021-2022 season. Tavares will be 31 by then. The Isles could have resigned Tavares any time after July 1, 2017... yet we're pushing June and it still hasn't happened. I think he's going to leave the Isles. If so, Buffalo isn't a bad spot for him at all.

Edited by Iron Crotch

You are going to pay 3 guys around $30M. I don't care how good they are, that's never going to work. We've already seen how Eichel and Tavares cannot carry a team of scrubs. Together they still can't carry a team of scrubs

Seems like the Penguins have figured out some high priced guys and got some Cups out of it. The scrubs that were on this team last year will be gone. They were on 1 year deals to fill some empty spaces. The 2018 team will look nothing like last years team, I mean, NOTHING like it. 

The Hawks also seem to have a few high priced guys and I would take our top guns over them right now.

Edited by CallawaySabres

First things first. If we sign Johnny T, we are probably trading ROR for a D or a winger or two, maybe both.

Secondly we have no cap issues. Pommers, Baloo and Moulson are gone after this coming year and Bogo is gone the following year. We also have a ton of young and cheap forwards to fill out the depth for the next 2-4 years.

A swap of Johnny T for ROR is a net plus. It’s like adding Hawerchuk to Lafontaine.

In fact, besides signing DeHaan. Signing Tavares and then trading ROR makes the most sense of all the moves being discussed.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.