Seattle Gets Approval to File Expansion Application for NHL

Brawndo

After the city council in Seattle approved a plan last week to renovate Key Arena last week, the NHL has given permission for prospective owners to file an application for an expansion franchise and start a season ticket campaign.

The expansion fee will be 650 Million.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-says-seattle-can-apply-for-franchise-start-season-ticket-drive/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/12/07/seattle-has-go-ahead-file-application-nhl-expansion-gary-bettman/933026001/

Edited by det har elektrolyter

After the city council in Seattle approved a plan last week to renovate Key Arena last week, the NHL has given permission for prospective owners to file an application for an expansion franchise and start a season ticket campaign.

The expansion fee will be 650 Million. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-says-seattle-can-apply-for-franchise-start-season-ticket-drive/https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2017/12/07/seattle-has-go-ahead-file-application-nhl-expansion-gary-bettman/933026001/

So, you're sayin' the league knew they weren't going to let Quebec City get an expansion team when they realigned the divisions?!?!

Shocking. Not. ;)

Wonder how much they tinker with the expansion draft rules.    Vegas obviously was given too much leash. 

This won't necessarily happen, thinks Bob:

It’s possible, given the premium a Seattle franchise would be paying, the new ownership group might even expect/negotiate more favourable draft terms than what Vegas got.

How much was the Vegas fee? I was thinking 500 million but I can't remember. If Seattle is paying more they are going to expect more as they should.

Yes.

I just looked it up and Vegas paid 500 million. I expect the expansion draft will be even friendler to them. They probably won't get 2 players from every team or anything like that but maybe teams will have to expose more players.

I looked it up beore I saw your post but thanks.

So what can we bribe them with to take Okposo or Bogosian? Or is this thing still years away?

So, you're sayin' the league knew they weren't going to let Quebec City get an expansion team when they realigned the divisions?!?!

Shocking. Not. ;)

Of course not.  Quebec City is for the Panthers.

I just looked it up and Vegas paid 500 million. I expect the expansion draft will be even friendler to them. They probably won't get 2 players from every team or anything like that but maybe teams will have to expose more players.

I looked it up beore I saw your post but thanks.

So what can we bribe them with to take Okposo or Bogosian? Or is this thing still years away?

2020-2021 season is the target.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/keyarena-mou-approved-by-seattle-city-council-will-nhl-announcement-soon-follow/

Houston is closer to the Central, once Arizona relocates.

They could put a team in Houston, but it wouldn't last a decade & would not be surprised if it only made it 5 years. They'd be better off giving Atlanta a 3rd kick at the can or KC a shot w/ a non-70's quality expansion team.

Yes, Dallas has a team. Houston & Dallas are very different cities. Yes, somebody here has an analysis showing it would work, but it won't.

The league know Carolina isn't lasting and the Islanders are in deep ######.  QC is getting a cheap deal.

Truly don't see them letting Quebec City back into the club. They were very happy to get rid of the only exclusively non-English speaking locale.

Can't see where the opinion has changed that much in 20 or so years. The same key guys still run things.

As a Seattleite, this is nice news. It's taken forever... and they should put the stadium down with the other stadiums in the SoDo district. But -- the port is against it, and KeyArena/Seattle Center needs the multi-team modern event venue to spruce up the area.

What I'm fearful of are Seattle fans doing their whole "we have to be loud because we think that's the only way fans can show support" schtick. Hockey is the most beautiful-sounding of major sports, and it'd be a shame to miss it.

I'll still go to Vancouver for my annual Sabres game -- because Vancouver.

This is still a long way out.

At least we know we don't have to spend time worrying about the player we might lose, after seeing how the Vegas expansion went down: it wasn't really a draft at all, just a collection of deals. Whichever player the Sabres "lose" will be the one the Sabres negotiated it to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.