Seattle Gets Approval to File Expansion Application for NHL

Brawndo

Truly don't see them letting Quebec City back into the club. They were very happy to get rid of the only exclusively non-English speaking locale.

Can't see where the opinion has changed that much in 20 or so years. The same key guys still run things.

Don't know about that, but the hurricanes might need a new home, their sale didn't happen yet again.

How long before Seattle is better than the sabres? Didn't take Vegas very long.

Vegas has a lot of built in advantages over teams like Buffalo and Seattle: Like the unfair hard cap that rewards teams in Nevada, Tennessee, Texas and Florida for tax reasons and allows these franchises to spend 8-10% less overall for salaries, players net the same as they would in a high tax state like NY. It's unfair and considering this is happening over Bettman's reign: I am not surprised.

Yes.  Barclay's is not working out.

Right, but I don't consider moving to another arena somewhere on Long Island a relocation. I'm talking about moving to a completely different metropolitan area. The NHL has worked really hard to keep Arizona, Florida, and Carolina right where they are. Why wouldn't they do the same for a franchise like the Islanders with a great history and a loyal fanbase?

Right, but I don't consider moving to another arena somewhere on Long Island a relocation. I'm talking about moving to a completely different metropolitan area. The NHL has worked really hard to keep Arizona, Florida, and Carolina right where they are. Why wouldn't they do the same for a franchise like the Islanders with a great history and a loyal fanbase?

Because there's only so much you can do if the locale doesn't want to support the team. If the Islanders have nowhere to play, welp, then they have to move. 

So now the Sabres will be able to drop to 32nd in the league one day. Great. 

Don't worry, I have it on good authority that there is a small group of 15 year olds that are kicking ass and taking names in Squirts or Pee Wee's or whatever the junior league is called for that age group. We'll all get sucked in by the excitement of the next group of phenoms coming down the pike. At least until we lose the lottery and we end up with the pick immediately behind whatever the cutoff is that year for elite talent. But we'll all convince ourselves that the kid we got is the next Casey Mittelstadt though so it will be fine. 

Vegas has a lot of built in advantages over teams like Buffalo and Seattle: Like the unfair hard cap that rewards teams in Nevada, Tennessee, Texas and Florida for tax reasons and allows these franchises to spend 8-10% less overall for salaries, players net the same as they would in a high tax state like NY. It's unfair and considering this is happening over Bettman's reign: I am not surprised.

It's not unfair at all. It's the life in the United States. Every person faces the same choices in cost of living vs. geographic preferences. Jimmy Vesey specifically shunned Nashville (and Buffalo) for NY City despite the higher taxes. Same thing with Kevin Shattenkirk. It's a free market thing. 

I am no Bettman fan but don't blame him for not 'fixing' this situation. 

Because there's only so much you can do if the locale doesn't want to support the team. If the Islanders have nowhere to play, welp, then they have to move. 

I think there's solid support for the team on the Island, especially now that the team is good. But they stupidly moved "off the Island" into a crummy arena for hockey.

Braclays has been universally panned for hockey viewing sight lines suck. Belmont Park is relatively easy accessible... they have the land... also heard race track in favor and it might help get lost Long Island fans back to Islanders while still being close to NYC just over the Trogs neck bridge off the Cross Island Pkwy.

They could put a team in Houston, but it wouldn't last a decade & would not be surprised if it only made it 5 years. They'd be better off giving Atlanta a 3rd kick at the can or KC a shot w/ a non-70's quality expansion team.

Yes, Dallas has a team. Houston & Dallas are very different cities. Yes, somebody here has an analysis showing it would work, but it won't.

I've lived in Houston my entire life and I really do believe the city would prove to be a viable home to a NHL team. There's a large amount of Houstonians who are Northern transplants and would gladly attend NHL games in Houston. Yes, Dallas and Houston are very different. But when it comes to being a "sports town", Houston is much more of one than Dallas. As long as a team (let's say the Coyotes) that relocated to Houston had a semi-decent level of success during the first 5 or so years in Houston, they would have no problem sustaining and growing a viable fan base.

I've lived in Houston my entire life and I really do believe the city would prove to be a viable home to a NHL team. There's a large amount of Houstonians who are Northern transplants and would gladly attend NHL games in Houston. Yes, Dallas and Houston are very different. But when it comes to being a "sports town", Houston is much more of one than Dallas. As long as a team (let's say the Coyotes) that relocated to Houston had a semi-decent level of success during the first 5 or so years in Houston, they would have no problem sustaining and growing a viable fan base.

The Eulers left. The Aeros attendance dropped significantly when they moved into their larger arena (want to say the Summit, butIit's been a LONG time since I've looked at it), so much so that they weren't invited in back in '79. When the Astros are bad, they've had horrible attendence.

Perhaps things are SIGNIFICANTLY different now, but even 20 years ago, they wouldn't have had a prayer. Really don't want to see the NHL try & fail on that one because failure is too likely.

And the second any basketball is on, hockey is an after thought. (Wouldn't even suggest remotely comparing it to HS football.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.