Seattle Gets Approval to File Expansion Application for NHL

Brawndo

Geographically, you're right. Culturally, however, "the Island" doesn't include Queens and Brooklyn.

We've had this discussion many times. It is perplexing, but you nailed it. You might compare it to how Buffalo feels closer to being a part of Canada than the same state Manhattan is in.

So, Seattle wants an expansion team, eh.

What about Quebec, Kansas City, Houston and Oklahoma City?

Surely Toronto's southern side (Hamilton) could easily absorb a 2nd team.

And what of Salt Lake City? You just know the Mormons are closet Hockey fanatics.

I think the league Could expand to 40 teams comfortably. Why Seattle though when Quebec is itching to get back in to the fight, so to speak. I miss the Nordiques.

So, Seattle wants an expansion team, eh.

What about Quebec, Kansas City, Houston and Oklahoma City?

Surely Toronto's southern side (Hamilton) could easily absorb a 2nd team.

And what of Salt Lake City? You just know the Mormons are closet Hockey fanatics.

I think the league Could expand to 40 teams comfortably. Why Seattle though when Quebec is itching to get back in to the fight, so to speak. I miss the Nordiques.

Seattle has the cash.

TL;DR

It's one of the fastest-growing cities in the country (and already a large market - much larger than Quebec, KC, and OKC). Across the lake, Bellevue is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. Mircosoft, Amazon. Boeing is still big for the time-being. And many of us transplants (although I've been here 20 years, I'm not entirely grouping myself with us) are from hockey areas. Plus Vancouver is close.

The NHL wants us for our money. The Seattle sports scene in general (not me, I'm indifferent) wants the NHL for the availability to get back into the NBA. Seattle proper wants to revitalize the Seattle Center (Space Needle) area. Key Arena is currently hosting the WNBA and until a couple years ago one of the main tenants was the local roller derby league (which I think is great -- hey, they were using the venue -- but the city wanted something with more economic pull).

They could put a team in Houston, but it wouldn't last a decade & would not be surprised if it only made it 5 years. They'd be better off giving Atlanta a 3rd kick at the can or KC a shot w/ a non-70's quality expansion team.

Yes, Dallas has a team. Houston & Dallas are very different cities. Yes, somebody here has an analysis showing it would work, but it won't.

I had always heard the old Houston Aeros did reasonably well. Is that true?

We've had this discussion many times. It is perplexing, but you nailed it. You might compare it to how Buffalo feels closer to being a part of Canada than the same state Manhattan is in.

Correct, but this is not a state secret.  Just go to Brooklyn or Queens, and then go to Nassau.  Not the same feeling at all.

I bet if you ask nfreeman he would say he is part of NYC and not the Island.

Until they went from cheap tix in their tiny rink downtown it was.

Did they not win the final WHA championship with Bobby Hull and all that jazz?

I am highly skeptical that the Islanders will get a new arena in Belmont Park, or anywhere else in the NYC region. None of the media coverage that I’ve seen of the Belmont Park proposal has provided any details as to the financing for the arena. I continue to believe that there will be no public money for an Islanders arena, and I don’t see the Islanders’ owners ponying up $750 million or so.

I think the Islanders are going to be at the Barclays Center for the foreseeable future.

I am highly skeptical that the Islanders will get a new arena in Belmont Park, or anywhere else in the NYC region. None of the media coverage that I’ve seen of the Belmont Park proposal has provided any details as to the financing for the arena. I continue to believe that there will be no public money for an Islanders arena, and I don’t see the Islanders’ owners ponying up $750 million or so.

I think the Islanders are going to be at the Barclays Center for the foreseeable future.

That's not going to happen, according to Isles management, ownership, and Tavares.

You're aware of how and by whom this franchise has been run for the past several years. It's altogether possible there is no plan.

Well, the team is now owned by smart and successful people, so I’m confident they have a plan. I think they want to use the implied threat of relocation to get as much public money as possible for an arena, and if they don’t get the amount they want they will stay at Barclays unless and until they get a good enough relocation offer.

Well, the team is now owned by smart and successful people, so I’m confident they have a plan. I think they want to use the implied threat of relocation to get as much public money as possible for an arena, and if they don’t get the amount they want they will stay at Barclays unless and until they get a good enough relocation offer.

But Tavares said he won't stay in that event.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.