Seattle Gets Approval to File Expansion Application for NHL

Brawndo

I am highly skeptical that the Islanders will get a new arena in Belmont Park, or anywhere else in the NYC region. None of the media coverage that I’ve seen of the Belmont Park proposal has provided any details as to the financing for the arena. I continue to believe that there will be no public money for an Islanders arena, and I don’t see the Islanders’ owners ponying up $750 million or so.

I think the Islanders are going to be at the Barclays Center for the foreseeable future.

The team is good but attendance is not. What gives?

Well, the team is now owned by smart and successful people, so I’m confident they have a plan. I think they want to use the implied threat of relocation to get as much public money as possible for an arena, and if they don’t get the amount they want they will stay at Barclays unless and until they get a good enough relocation offer.

I think I'm correct in understanding that staying at Barclays isn't even entirely up to them, and indeed Barclays wants them gone.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/barclays-center-starts-process-toward-possible-opt-out-of-islanders-sources-say-1.13583598

From several months ago, but I dunno if there's been an update.

The team is good but attendance is not. What gives?

This is their 3rd season here. They made the playoffs in the first year and missed them last year. The whole time, the dominant story has been how ridiculous the arena setup is and how they want to move again. It just hasn’t been conducive to building a fan base.

I think I'm correct in understanding that staying at Barclays isn't even entirely up to them, and indeed Barclays wants them gone.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/barclays-center-starts-process-toward-possible-opt-out-of-islanders-sources-say-1.13583598

From several months ago, but I dunno if there's been an update.

I think you’re right that Barclays can opt out, but it sounds like the plan is to renegotiate a new deal that will keep the Islanders there for the next few years while they figure out their next move.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lighthousehockey.com/platform/amp/2017/10/10/16454742/islanders-owner-no-coliseum-barclays-belmont

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.