DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Exactly which makes his value greater than pure rental.

Depends on your trading partner and his cap situation next year, whether that partner’s window window is opening or closing, and how important being able to test drive a new piece is before committing to an expensive long-term relationship.

Depends on your trading partner and his cap situation next year, whether that partner’s window window is opening or closing, and how important being able to test drive a new piece is before committing to an expensive long-term relationship.

I'm looking logically. You're looking hopefully.

I'm looking logically. You're looking hopefully.

I’m trying to say his value is not linear; it varies from team to team based on their assets, their circumstances and - most importantly - what they think of Kane or Brassard or whoever is on the block.

Pi is going to give up a lot more than I am to bring Tyson Barrie to the Sabres because he likes Tyson Barrie a lot more than I do, no matter what the “going rate” is.

Ultimately, a player is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

As long as its something.

Man, looking back at that trade, I wish we'd kept Armia and Myers.

those two were part of the deal and I don't mind, but its like saying you want that 1st round pick back.  And I would want that back more than anything.

But in both the colorado and winnipeg deals there are two players I would have kept.  Compher/Armia

Toronto is winning the cup sooner or later so you might as well get used to the idea.

I'll make a wager that Toronto makes the Stanley cup final before Buffalo makes the playoffs

Eh, they've been saying that for 50 years now. I'll believe it when I see it

those two were part of the deal and I don't mind, but its like saying you want that 1st round pick back.  And I would want that back more than anything.

But in both the colorado and winnipeg deals there are two players I would have kept.  Compher/Armia

i though adding in Myers was an overpayment since Kane was being run out of Winnepeg and Buffalo was the only team willing to take him injured that season

Myers shouls have been retained and dealt in a separate deal

Pretty much everyone at the time thought Myers for Bogo was a trade of relatively equal 2/3s who brought different things to the table.

Kane went for the equivalent of two late firsts and two early seconds.

And we got a C prospect tossed in.

Pretty much everyone at the time thought Myers for Bogo was a trade of relatively equal 2/3s who brought different things to the table.

Kane went for the equivalent of two late firsts and two early seconds.

And we got a C prospect tossed in.

I will disagree with this description of the Myers - Bogo element of the trade. I think Myers had quite a bit more value around the NHL than Bogo did, and that Winnipeg wanted Myers as the key piece on the deal AND wanted to unload Bogo’s contract as another key piece.

If we signed Kane tomorrow, we win the trade. The team that gets the best player wins and Kane is easily the best player.

But the Sabres were constructed terribly so now we have to trade him.

Good trade, wrong time. Or, at least, in retrospect turned out to be the wrong time after Murray and Co or whoever else ran the rebuild (hopefully temporarily) off the tracks.

I will disagree with this description of the Myers - Bogo element of the trade. I think Myers had quite a bit more value around the NHL than Bogo did, and that Winnipeg wanted Myers as the key piece on the deal AND wanted to unload Bogo’s contract as another key piece.

Maybe a better way of describing my take is that Chevy thought Myers was better and Murray thought Bogo was better, so whatever the negotiations were or public perceptions were, both GMs were happy to make that trade straight across.

There was definitely a lot of internet chatter about Murray privately bashing Myers for being physically and mentally soft.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Maybe a better way of describing my take is that Chevy thought Myers was better and Murray thought Bogo was better, so whatever the negotiations were or public perceptions were, both GMs were happy to make that trade straight across.

There was definitely a lot of internet chatter about Murray bashing Myers for being physically and mentally soft.

How very wrong he was, re: Bogo.