DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

On GR Dreger believes Gorges will be traded.

Blues, Jets mentioned as possibilities

Doesn’t believe there is a market for Lehner

No update on Kane

I didn't really understand how the whole trade Lehner thing gained traction. It just never made much sense to me.

I don't see Reinhart being moved.  I think what he's bringing to the game is what we should expect from him in the future.  Given the recent play of the defensive corps I would also think that Botterill is less concerned with having to move Reinhart to get a significant D piece.  He should be able to do that with Kane/Lehner (either more immediate or a bit longer term from a draft pick).

Moving Reinhart creates a hole in the top 6 that's not going to be filled by anyone coming in next season (no, not even Mittlestadt).  There might be a UFA signing that could be signed for the top 6 but you don't need to move Reinhart to get that player.

The biggest improvement has to come on the 3rd line.  The Sabres need a 3rd line that can put together around 30 goals.  If some of the current 3rd liners end up on the 4th line the Sabres will be in good shape.

The thing Reinhart brings, even at a wing position, is that when Jack gets dinged up he can step up to fill the void.  I don't see him continually performing at his highest level but he can do it for periods at a time.  The trick to Samson is to learn how to *not* disappear when he's not at the top of his game.

If Mittelstadt comes to the Sabres next year, I see him playing protected third or fourth line minutes and still struggling a lot, kind of like early versions of Reinhart, possibly worse.  Casey is a giant (in terms of hockey ability) among peers his age, but the NHL will require a steep learning curve from him I think.

Maybe Mittelstadt-Baptiste-Girgensons (or someone) gets you that 30-goal 3rd line.

Lehner isn't under contract. He's an RFA.

True. I'm not completely up on the RFA rules. I think the Sabres have to qualify him, which would require a slight raise, right? $4M/yr is about the max I want to pay him, any more looks like wasted cap space.

Lehner isn't under contract. He's an RFA.

But that's what he's probably projected to make.

True. I'm not completely up on the RFA rules. I think the Sabres have to qualify him, which would require a slight raise, right? $4M/yr is about the max I want to pay him, any more looks like wasted cap space.

I don't know the RFA deals, but the compensation for that salary range is a 1st and a 3rd. I doubt any team pays that for him

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rfa-draft-choice-compensation-scale/

We don't have to qualify him. We can just let him walk. If we qualify him it has to be for 100% of this year's salary. 

I’d guess Botterill is looking to unload him now if an offer came up. But failing that, if he’s not in the plans for next year, Botterill will probably quietly move Lehner for a late round pick at/around the draft, rather than letting him walk, to a team wanting to take a chance on him for a low acquisition cost.

The comparisons to the pick we gave up to acquire him will temporarily break SabreSpace.

Edited by Thorny

I’d qualify Lehner if we can’t trade him before the draft. He’s mediocre, not worthless.

He’s better insurance than another CJ if Ullmark goes down or implodes, and we might be able to flip him for something if another team gets desperate for a goalie next year.

Now, if we are going to use the $2 million we save by letting him walk and signing a cheaper replacement to acquire a significant upgrade elsewhere, then sure, let him go.

But if not, having only $6 million tied up in our goaltending next year is still excellent cap management, and retaining an asset is better than letting it walk for free and having to replace that asset.

I expect Botterill to be very much about prioritizing good asset management.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Lehner’s Name has been out there all season per Dreger. I believe it’s because the Sabres are moving towards Ullmark next season and would not want to have 4-5 Million tied up in the backup goaltender.

That's a no brainer.  Lehner is 37th in GA and 33rd in Save percentage at $4 million.  Safe to say Ulmark could probably do as well or better for much cheaper.

Time to drain the KeyBank Arena.

How about a hockey trade with Chicago- Okposo and Girgensons for Sadd and Hartman

As far as far pending UFA's and returns

Kane for 1st, and two prospects

Gorges for 6th rd pick

Josefson for 5th rd pick

Pouliot for 3rd rd pick

Gorges for a bag of pucks and we eat half his salary.

Josefson for a new Zamboni machine 

Pouliot for a bag of sand

Acquire Domi on the cheap amd maybe he and Reinhart can reignite some WJC chemistry.

They aren't going to give away Domi cheap but I guess you could try that. 

I don't know though, add one underachiever to another underachiever? Might be better to just get rid of the underachiever. 

I don't keep track of these sort of things but in my mind I'm thinking most of Reinhart's points come along with Eichel's or at least when he is playing with Eichel on the ice (PP). I'm thinking his stats without Eichel are pretty bad. Am I wrong?