Carrion Hockey League.... CHL

Wyldnwoody44

For those confused:

Carrion = (from the Latin "caro", meaning "meat") refers to the dead and decaying flesh of an animal.

The League takes inspiration from Blind Homer of the Iliad.

Countless losses,

hurling down to the House of Death,

so many sturdy souls, great fighters' souls,

but made their bodies carrion, feast for dogs

since when there first stood a division of conflict.

It's time....

You know what to do.... Props to X for this intro!

Can't root for losses. Just can't.

Not saying they're not a dumpster fire and I wouldn't love a high pick. But, I think a team coming together and figuring out how to win is worth more than any draft pick at this point.

I'm not cheering for Sabres losses but I'm not really cheering for wins either. Just watching and hopefully entertained, win or lose.

I am cheering for the teams around them though. Watched the Panthers last night dominate the Devils and will cheer for the Coyotes. 

Coyotes are kind of fun to watch and Im interested in seeing Strome now that he has been called back up.

You do realize the worst team in the NHL will have about an 80% chance of not drafting #1 overall (for Dahlin) and about a 50% chance of not drafting top 3? Do you really think a Buffalo sports team will have such luck?

Absolutely correct, very low % that Sabres get Dahlin, no matter where they end up at.

However, I think there are 4 players in this draft that are top line / top pairing prospects. You come in last and you are guaranteed one of them.

Not saying they're not a dumpster fire and I wouldn't love a high pick. But, I think a team coming together and figuring out how to win is worth more than any draft pick at this point.

Exactly this.

I'll actually have more interest in the draft when I'm looking at guys I think the Sabres have a chance of snagging in the later first-round, who are potential steals, rather than the current scenario of looking to the top of the draft for a dumpster-fire saviour.

Exactly this.

I'll actually have more interest in the draft when I'm looking at guys I think the Sabres have a chance of snagging in the later first-round, who are potential steals, rather than the current scenario of looking to the top of the draft for a dumpster-fire saviour.

dont root for losses, just root for teams around them in the standings to win too.

Arizona in Edmonton tonight, hoping for a 3 point game.

Maybe once Kane is traded, Sabres will have a late 1st rounder that the GM will hold onto this year?

dont root for losses, just root for teams around them in the standings to win too.

Arizona in Edmonton tonight, hoping for a 3 point game.

Maybe once Kane is traded, Sabres will have a late 1st rounder that the GM will hold onto this year?

I'd much rather keep Kane.

I don't want to root for other teams around the Sabres, as I'd like to see them move up the standings, and gain confidence. As mentioned, figuring out how to win would, in my view, be the best possible outcome.

Exactly.

This thread is still an embarrassment.

The losing cuture is us. Root for losses! Root for our rivals to win!

Humbug.

Nah, tastes like chicken... 

I want the Sabres to get better and sure would love to see them win... but if they are going to lose do the whole Monte... don't mess around.  Team looked better tonight despite the loss.  They controlled most of the third and the Tampa goalie played really well.   Jack is gripping his stick, had a bunch of lasers miss the net close... KO, Sam and Kane were crashing the net all night even Moulson worked hard.... and the D looked better.  Noticed that the Sabres wingers were getting back better and when the D moved up and had a bunch of chances in the high slot... despite the score it wasn't a bad game to watch.  You can see finally the Housley effect is starting to take hold all they need is some goal scorers.  The bottom lines only have a guy or two that can score.. so depth is a big issue... Not sure if the Sabres don't draft number 1 that they should take a D... or if they trade Kane and say Gorges and can get a D prospect then go for a scorer, and draft a D later on.  They need Middlestud and Nylander to take the next step in the worst sort of way... next year.   Hopefully JBOT can find some gems later on... but those will be in Rochester for at least a year...  I know patience after the last couple years is tough, but I am resigned to it and just hope they keep working.

Exactly.

This thread is still an embarrassment.

Embarrassment for who? Should we (fans) be embarrassed that the team is still so bad that significant portions of the fan base perpetually pin their hopes to the next crop of 18 year olds in the hopes that we get lucky with some wunderkind? Or should the organization be embarrassed that they can't seem to improve beyond the bottom 10 (and usually bottom 5 or worse) teams of the league?

If it's the latter, I'd agree, but if it's the former I definitely disagree. I think the fact that the fans continue to show up at all or even tune in for this garbage on tv despite the lack of progress is bewildering. It borders somewhere between commendable loyalty in the face of adversity and pure lunacy.

Edited by Drunkard

I will admit that I spent way too much time in the original CHL thread.  Not proud of that considering my stance against the tank.  Prior, during and after.

Our Woods-Racer said it best, IMO.  So, I have nothing more to add to his statement, except that I want the Sabres to win every game they play.

I see no way Sabres don't have THE worst or 2nd worst record in the NHL when the season ends. Really could not care less either way and the only thing that gets me riled about this team is when I see the payout on StubHub. If it was not for the selling of the tickets, I would pay even less attention to what they are doing. I look to see who they are playing, check the phone once or twice to see the score......repeat

I see no way Sabres don't have THE worst or 2nd worst record in the NHL when the season ends. Really could not care less either way and the only thing that gets me riled about this team is when I see the payout on StubHub. If it was not for the selling of the tickets, I would pay even less attention to what they are doing. I look to see who they are playing, check the phone once or twice to see the score......repeat

It's not even enjoyable to watch them on the rare occasion when they're winning.  I am checked out.

I am in no way rooting for losses but the reality is this team is awful. So I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where we stand. Currently we're tied with the yotes for last place and are 6 freaking points out of 3rd last place.

I don't get the feeling that anyone here is actively hoping for a Sabres loss, rather, lifeless hockey has led to apathy and at this point there's no point in getting emotionally invested when you know the only thing the team excels at is their ability to under-perform and not score.

Also people need to accept that Kane is not going to be re-signed here. Why on earth would he want to do that? He will get money with a contender elsewhere. There is no motivation for him to stay with Buffalo.

I am in no way rooting for losses but the reality is this team is ###### awful. So I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where we stand. Currently we're tied with the yotes for last place and are 6 freaking points out of 3rd last place.

I don't get the feeling that anyone here is actively hoping for a Sabres loss, rather, lifeless hockey has led to apathy and at this point there's no point in getting emotionally invested when you know the only thing the team excels at is their ability to under-perform and not score.

Also people need to accept that Kane is not going to be re-signed here. Why on earth would he want to do that? He will get money with a contender elsewhere. There is no motivation for him to stay with Buffalo.

Good post.

I am still watching the games on TV but it's difficult to take this team.

I was joking in another thread about parachuting Messier into that room to kick some butt. Strong leadership may be the key ingredient to get the team together and pulling in the same direction.

I was happy on opening night that they had gone with no captain, I did not think there was a clear leader. I currently doubt there is someone in that room who can fill that role. Jack may mature into that role, (stop with the eye rolls). The top talent may not be the best leaders. Bobby Orr was not the captain, neither was Guy Lafleur. Gordie Howe was captain for a short period. I don't care if it's McCabe, I just wish someone would emerge and be strong.

Perhaps importing another past his prime guy like Gionta may work.

Good post.

I am still watching the games on TV but it's difficult to take this team.

I was joking in another thread about parachuting Messier into that room to kick some butt. Strong leadership may be the key ingredient to get the team together and pulling in the same direction.

I was happy on opening night that they had gone with no captain, I did not think there was a clear leader. I currently doubt there is someone in that room who can fill that role. Jack may mature into that role, (stop with the eye rolls). The top talent may not be the best leaders. Bobby Orr was not the captain, neither was Guy Lafleur. Gordie Howe was captain for a short period. I don't care if it's McCabe, I just wish someone would emerge and be strong.

Perhaps importing another past his prime guy like Gionta may work.

I don't think i've watched more than 1 or 2 full games this year. Typically I'll listen to the radio on my phone while I finish up my day, get dinner ready, etc and will sit down and watch the third period, which is usually when they start putting pressure on the net once they're down 2 or 3 goals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.