Trading Eichel

Marvelo

Hear me out now...don't get all hostile on me just yet. It's only an idea. 

I'm sure Jack Eichel would get some interest throughout the league and would create bidding wars.

The right GM would get a boatload for him. I'm not saying that Botterill is the right GM but he's all we've got... It would give the core a jolt, one which is much needed and would be an instant rebuild.  

I'm thinking of the Oilers/Vanek signing sheet the Sabres mistakenly made...wouldn't all those #1 draft choices have been better? It just wasn't obvious at the time because Drury and Briere had just left.

Jack is a talented guy but I think he tops out at Ryan Getzlaf territory. He is not a generational talent like McDavid who produces no matter what. He is unhappy losing with the Sabres and it shows in his expressions, posture and play on the ice. He is immature. It seems that there are some nights that Jack just skating around and would rather not be a Buffalo Sabre.

I think the Sabres have wrecked him anyway so for the right deal, why not just send him on his way? 

T'was inevitable.

He's not untouchable in my book.

I think we are at a crossroads with Jack.  It's not too late to save him, but this acceptance of losing for a better shot down the road is poisonous.  And Jack is clearly poisoned here.  I think he is recoverable, but I think the sand is draining out fairly quickly.  This organization needs to be in win now mode NOW, before Jack and Sam become lost causes only recoverable by a change in scenery.

He just turned 21 and you want to give up on him? They'd never get fair value for him. He's the only reason to watch the team now. Wait a couple years when he's got Middlestat, Guhle, and Pu to help.

No.  Evander is the only reason to watch now.  And if we wait a couple of years the only thing that happens is Jack becomes more accustomed to losing.

I mostly hope Eichel pulls an Yzerman and decides to learn defence...

I think his maturity is his biggest problem. He isn't ready to have a franchise on his shoulders. Its why I never understood the hype about giving him the C - the guy frequently decides to not show up.

$10 million for a one dimensional 70 point forward... we need him to be more than that. If there are doubts he can be, we should trade him ASAP (before the rest of the league realises)

I think his maturity is his biggest problem. He isn't ready to have a franchise on his shoulders. Its why I never understood the hype about giving him the C - the guy frequently decides to not show up.

$10 million for a one dimensional 70 point forward... we need him to be more than that. If there are doubts he can be, we should trade him ASAP (before the rest of the league realises)

They already know

This couldnt agree more.

If you hadn't signed him to the big extension you could trade him easily. There would be a plethora of teams thinking Seguin/Boston. With the contract, MAYBE someone would think that, but I doubt it. Would seem like a huge gamble from their perspective.

Better plan would be to surround him with guys who work hard and don't take crap from kids. Teach him by example. 

“What if we give Jack $10 million and he tops out as a 70-point centre?” I said

“Why do we have to pay him this money now, before he proves he’s worth it?” I asked.

For the record, I’ll trade anyone for the right return, but Jack Eichel will be fine.

Edited by dudacek

Trading Eichel may be an option we have to entertain down the road, but I'm not really interested in trading any important Sabre between now and February.

So many of our core pieces other than Kane (Lehner, Ristolainen, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Eichel) are playing worse than anything we've ever seen from them in their careers up to this point. With so many underperformers at the same time, one has to try looking at other sources of blame beside the individual. Coaching is one, but I'm strongly leaning towards the intangible quality of "veteran leadership" that was supposed to come from players like Gorges and Moulson but is clearly missing from the current team.

I still would like to see Housley settle on a captain (O'Reilly?) and then strip the "A" from Eichel and Bogosian.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.