Trading Eichel

Marvelo

Yzerman was an amazing wunderkind in his early years but was one-dimensionally offense.  He eventually learned a two-way game (under Bowman) which made him one of the greatest players.  I have little doubt that Jack is potentially in that same pool.  He's talented as hell.  Will he be able to continue to learn to harness that talent, not just for scoring but to play a complete game?  Let's see how it plays out.

On second thought, let's say Jack isn't up there.  Just seeing that it took that long for one of the all-time greats to win a Cup simply points to how hard it an NHL championship really is.

maybe we could trade jack for Tavares over on the Island. I think it is pretty evident that while he Sabres are giving jack a contract based on what he may or may not do at some point down the road (not doing too much now), Tavares continues to carry a team on his shoulders and make marginal players a million times better by playing on his line (see Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo). jack needs highly skilled linemates to be effective whereas Tavares can make just about anyone look good. we have the two slugs to prove it...

Edited by Sabre fan

Yzerman was an amazing wunderkind in his early years but was one-dimensionally offense.  He eventually learned a two-way game (under Bowman) which made him one of the greatest players.  I have little doubt that Jack is potentially in that same pool.  He's talented as hell.  Will he be able to continue to learn to harness that talent, not just for scoring but to play a complete game?  Let's see how it plays out.

On second thought, let's say Jack isn't up there.  Just seeing that it took that long for one of the all-time greats to win a Cup simply points to how hard it an NHL championship really is.

He has no effort. I don't care about anything else other than it's beyond evident that he doesn't give a ###### about anything or anyone other than himself. Hard to put your talent to use when you won't use it

Edited by WildCard

maybe we could trade jack for Tavares over on the Island. I think it is pretty evident that while he Sabres are giving jack a contract based on what he may or may not do at some point down the road (not doing too much now), Tavares continues to carry a team on his shoulders and make marginal players a million times better by playing on his line (see Matt Moulson and Kyle Okposo). jack needs highly skilled linemates to be effective whereas Tavares can make just about anyone look good. we have the two slugs to prove it...

Well, no need to trade Eichel for Tavares.  Tavares is signing in Buffalo next year anyway.

You want to trade a 21yr old locked up for 8 years, for a 27yr old ufa. No that's not a good idea, in fact it's what loser teams would do. Panic at the first time of trouble. Terrible trade idea.

Hear me out now...don't get all hostile on me just yet. It's only an idea. 

I'm sure Jack Eichel would get some interest throughout the league and would create bidding wars.

The right GM would get a boatload for him. I'm not saying that Botterill is the right GM but he's all we've got... It would give the core a jolt, one which is much needed and would be an instant rebuild.  

I'm thinking of the Oilers/Vanek signing sheet the Sabres mistakenly made...wouldn't all those #1 draft choices have been better? It just wasn't obvious at the time because Drury and Briere had just left.

Jack is a talented guy but I think he tops out at Ryan Getzlaf territory. He is not a generational talent like McDavid who produces no matter what. He is unhappy losing with the Sabres and it shows in his expressions, posture and play on the ice. He is immature. It seems that there are some nights that Jack just skating around and would rather not be a Buffalo Sabre.

I think the Sabres have wrecked him anyway so for the right deal, why not just send him on his way? 

I agree with almost everything you write here and your observations about Eichel are pretty much spot-on.  Jack is not a generational talent to be compared to Crosby or McDavid.

He is a "very good player" to be compared to Getzlaf (as you mention) or Jason Spezza, or lots of other guys who are damned good hockey players but not difference makers all by themselves and who make everyone around them better, every time they go on the ice.

Sabres fans need to get used to that thought, b/c it impacts how you view him and what you do with him.

ALSO:  It is a mistake to value Eichel by the amount of pain and misery we fans went through to get him!  Unfortunately, that doesn't count for anything!  The pain we endured should make Eichel a mini Gretzky, but it doesn't work that way.

I would be open, for sure, to a deal involving Eichel, but it has to be the right mega deal.

To be honest, I don't think Jack would garner the interest around the league for the type of deal it would have to be, so this discussion is all moot for me.

At least so far.  His play could dramatically shoot up (he's young) and his value could as well; revisiting the issue then could be interesting.

The entire formula in Buffalo need to be completely re-worked.  We are no closer to the finish line now then we were the day we traded away Paul Gaustad for a 1st round draft pick.

If this team ever becomes "The Team" we have been waiting for, it will not look much like it does right now.

The rebuild has almost yet to begin.

It is going to be really interesting to see how far the Sabres F.O. is willing to go to try and make the team good, who will be shipped out, how dramatic the name changes will be....and if the current regime is even going to do the heavy lifting.

They may well get dumped before the heavy lifting begins.

Who knows.  It's all wide open right now and there is a very long way to go.

Edited by Kruppstahl

You want to trade a 21yr old locked up for 8 years, for a 27yr old ufa. No that's not a good idea, in fact it's what loser teams would do. Panic at the first time of trouble. Terrible trade idea.

if the move is immediately followed by a long term deal it's not horrible and it improves the team now. Plus if it helps KO and MM be alot better it could be like picking up 3 players instead of just 1

First we traded gaustad for a 1st.

Second, anyone who doesn't think 30 teams would start a bidding war for Jack are just wrong. Again panic, I don't think Botterill will. Jack makes Kane better, not the other way around. This thread makes me angry because it's a panic thread. We aren't good, so trade Jack and start over. That's the gist and it's not a good idea. Not after 2 months of a real coach.

if the move is immediately followed by a long term deal it's not horrible and it improves the team now. Plus if it helps KO and MM be alot better it could be like picking up 3 players instead of just 1

Matt Moulson is done. That's the truth.

Kyle Okposo is coming back from serious injury. He's been much better. Considering he never plays with Eichel, not sure how bringing in Tavares who he won't play with makes it better.

Sorry but your points are soft and it's panic. Why don't we see what happens this full season with a real coach b4 torching Jack Eichel.

I agree the talk about trading Eichel is all about frustration and panic by fans who have been patient for much longer than they deserve.

I think Eichel will be fine. 

I was just listening to the NHL station on Sirius/XM (the Power Play, I believe), and the discussion was all about the Oilers and their sucktitude. O'Sullivan, a recently retired player with some good and blunt comments, did not spare McDavid from his criticism.  He said that although his scoring pace looks good, he has been awful in his own end, often cruising and leaving his man undefended.  He said McDavid's defensive lapses have been a bad influence for the entire team, and that he needs to step up his game and be a real leader.  He cited examples of good leaders such as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, and Matthews(!?) that McDavid should emulate. 

So there you go.  If even the next Generational Player has holes in his game at age 21, I think Jack can be cut a little slack.  Not to say that Eichel doesn't need a big wake up call (he certainly does), but talk of trading him away is premature, especially because I think it would be very hard to get fair value in return.

I agree the talk about trading Eichel is all about frustration and panic by fans who have been patient for much longer than they deserve.

I think Eichel will be fine. 

I was just listening to the NHL station on Sirius/XM (the Power Play, I believe), and the discussion was all about the Oilers and their sucktitude. O'Sullivan, a recently retired player with some good and blunt comments, did not spare McDavid from his criticism.  He said that although his scoring pace looks good, he has been awful in his own end, often cruising and leaving his man undefended.  He said McDavid's defensive lapses have been a bad influence for the entire team, and that he needs to step up his game and be a real leader.  He cited examples of good leaders such as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron, and Matthews(!?) that McDavid should emulate. 

So there you go.  If even the next Generational Player has holes in his game at age 21, I think Jack can be cut a little slack.  Not to say that Eichel doesn't need a big wake up call (he certainly does), but talk of trading him away is premature, especially because I think it would be very hard to get fair value in return.

And it's not the first time O'Sullivan has said that about McDavid.  He usually includes Draisaitl in that comment as well.

Tavares has many great years left, and I also think they would get more then just him in a deal, like one of the islanders good young d-man. And yes Tavares makes any linemate better and that is something this team needs badly

Tavares has many great years left, and I also think they would get more then just him in a deal, like one of the islanders good young d-man. And yes Tavares makes any linemate better and that is something this team needs badly

It would be interesting for sure to see Tavares take Eichles spot. Other than that i cant really say, Sabres are in such bad shape right now that anything sounds better. I just think we need to calm the fk down and realize were doomed this season, we just have to wait for better days, if there even are any.

Its just the way it is i believe.

Tavares still not re-signed... think about making him an offer but bkload one year to clear Moulson and Gorges contracts or offer them Sam and KO plus a second if he agrees to sign with Sabres??? not sure they would take it, maybe even one of the Euros in the system.

Tavares still not re-signed... think about making him an offer but bkload one year to clear Moulson and Gorges contracts or offer them Sam and KO plus a second if he agrees to sign with Sabres??? not sure they would take it, maybe even one of the Euros in the system.

I don't think contracts like that are allowed anymore

This article generated by the Toronto media, believe it or not.

Says Jack will be fine, with some stats to back it up.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/theres-nothing-wrong-jack-eichel/

Uhm yeah. Not sure what bozos have a problem with Jack. He may not be MC Jesus or Cindy (stupidest nickname ever) but he's our best player and a top 10 talent in the league.

I said it before, he will probably end up being more into the 'very good but not elite' category and not worth tanking seasons for. And all i heard back was that it was ridiculous and that he was elite and at the McDavid/Matthews level because of his points last season after the injury.

Also never believed Sam was going to be anything great either and he would end up being more in the 'good but not great' category and not be what you need from a #2 overall pick.

But the tank was well worth it, they would never have been able to get to this level without it! Guhle and Pu and others are on their way......

I was a supporter of the tank, particularly in its second year when we got Eichel...it sounds like you were opposed to the idea from the beginning.

However, I agree with your takes here.  Eichel is going to be a notch down from "superstar" and Reinhart is a notch down from "really good player".  He is honestly a borderline NHL talent right now, but he is young.  He lacks a lot of really important things like drive, aggressiveness, playing with physicality, and most of all, speed.  He is a slow, passive player, lacking the raw talent to get away with those traits, even if he is talented.

Right now he is a borderline COHO type player in my mind; highly talented, achieved a lot of success at Junior level, very high expectations going into his NHL career...but ultimately a big disappointment.

Our struggles are directly connected to the fact that what was supposed to be the 3 big difference makers on the roster (ROR, Eichel, Reinhart) are not difference makers at all.

Uhm yeah. Not sure what bozos have a problem with Jack. He may not be MC Jesus or Cindy (stupidest nickname ever) but he's our best player and a top 10 talent in the league.

I mean he is 56th in the league this year and has never finished in the top 10. The fact is he isn't a top 10 player yet. But he is paid to be a top 5 player next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.