Rochester Americans 2017/2018

LGR4GM

Rochester keep adding wins, yesterday vs comets. 

10 games in a row with points, this is AWESOME

The Swedish netminder shows a 9-0-3 in his last 12 starts and hasn’t suffered a regulation loss since Oct. 28."

Spoke with Linus again and he says he is so hyped for this season, he says everything has changed around the team and within the team, the chemistry is absolute. God would it have been nice if Sabres was in the same situation so that we had 2 teams that were healthy and doing well. 

But hey, ill take this anyday than having 2 teams doing bad.

" The staff and players are talking and enjoying each other. We know we're here for a reason and the end result is we're here to win and develop and have fun as a family. Everyone is buying in. Everyone wants to come in and see each other and see what's going on in other people's lives, not just our hockey lives. We care about each other outside of the game. That makes us a stronger team." 

Backstopping it all is Linus Ullmark, who played his 100th game as an Amerk over the weekend. In his last 11 games, Ullmark is 8-0-3 and has not lost in regulation since Oct. 28. He leads the AHL in saves (508) and ranks second in wins (11) and minutes played (1,002). But what makes him a crucial element to the Amerks' culture aren't his numbers but rather his approach to the game.

"His professionalism around the rink, especially for practice and how he gets prepared for a game is so great," Taylor said. "He so badly wants to win. He's not worried about his goals against or his save percentage. He's just worried about winning first and foremost. He gives us a chance to win every game. He doesn't like to lose and that's a great mentality." 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/12/culture-change-making-an-impact-for-the-rochester-americans/

GO ROCHESTER!

Edited by MODO Hockey

Rochester keep adding wins, yesterday vs comets. 

10 games in a row with points, this is AWESOME

The Swedish netminder shows a 9-0-3 in his last 12 starts and hasn’t suffered a regulation loss since Oct. 28."

Spoke with Linus again and he says he is so hyped for this season, he says everything has changed around the team and within the team, the chemistry is absolute. God would it have been nice if Sabres was in the same situation so that we had 2 teams that were healthy and doing well. 

But hey, ill take this anyday than having 2 teams doing bad.

" The staff and players are talking and enjoying each other. We know we're here for a reason and the end result is we're here to win and develop and have fun as a family. Everyone is buying in. Everyone wants to come in and see each other and see what's going on in other people's lives, not just our hockey lives. We care about each other outside of the game. That makes us a stronger team." 

Backstopping it all is Linus Ullmark, who played his 100th game as an Amerk over the weekend. In his last 11 games, Ullmark is 8-0-3 and has not lost in regulation since Oct. 28. He leads the AHL in saves (508) and ranks second in wins (11) and minutes played (1,002). But what makes him a crucial element to the Amerks' culture aren't his numbers but rather his approach to the game.

"His professionalism around the rink, especially for practice and how he gets prepared for a game is so great," Taylor said. "He so badly wants to win. He's not worried about his goals against or his save percentage. He's just worried about winning first and foremost. He gives us a chance to win every game. He doesn't like to lose and that's a great mentality." 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/12/culture-change-making-an-impact-for-the-rochester-americans/

GO ROCHESTER!

GIves me hope for Buffalo longer term with the same architect for both teams. 

First game of year for me tonight. They looked good. Ulmark gave up an ugly Lehner special (behind net wrap to post) in 1st but after that Amerks had better of play and just look solid. Guhle looks solid, nothing popped though. Nylander didn't look bad, but same, nothing popped out. Grigerenko used to pop some "wows" at times, fwiw. Botteril was at the game and on his phone. Maybe checking in with wife, maybe talking trade, didn't ask.

Just to add I saw Bailey there in a suit. He has a bizarre looking body. Kinda pear shaped with big hips but fairly thin limbs. Just an observation.

Edited by Borkman

File this away in the "wayyy too early" folder, but.... If Housley flops but the Amerks sustain success, could Chris Taylor fit the Mike Sullivan mold that Pittsburgh followed when Jbot was there? That actually happened to Sullivan twice (previously in Boston)

Feel the same way about the way too soon, but it crossed my mind as well.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Wondering the same thing.

But I also realize, that for his league, Taylor was actually given more to work with. Most of the AHL vets signed by Jbot and Sexton had Marlie, Grand Rapids or/and S/WB pedigree with many having NHL time on their resumes. Also most of the team is college educated.

16 players for the Amerks this season are college guys. 8 are non-college guys, but of those 8, 6 are Sabres draftees.

9 guys played for WB/S, The Marlies or Grand Rapids, three of the premier AHL franchises.

Besides Sabres prospects, 6 guys have decent or more NHL experience, plus Moses who has significant KHL time.

These stats are only for guys who have played 10 plus games or recent NHL send downs or IR returnees like Nylander.

This is a veteran team, although well crafted with vets still in “development.” Most of the players have at least one year of AHL experience. The only true key rookies, are prospects Guhle and CJ Smith. Smith is 23 with 3 years of college under his belt.

It was a good game. Nylander picked up his own rebound on his goal. Tied 2-2 until 26 sec left in the 2nd. Baptiste took a BS hooking call with 5 min left in the third. They still nearly tied it. Marlies have some big dudes and can shoot well. Amerks are smaller with more skill and are freakin honey badgers at times. Huge stretch in the 2nd they kept the heat on in Marlies zone and kept them from the change. Bailey is back and right at it hitting every legit check he could. A loss but a close game with the #1 team.

I think the Amerks could take the Marlies in a playoff series. I think Rochester’s relentless style of play would wear a team down pretty quickly. They’re doing a good job possessing the puck and it seems like they’re doing an especially good job in the 2nd with the long change.

What do you guys (who have seen him play) think of CJ Smith? Could he offer anything at the NHL level?

FWIW his stats mirror Phil Varone’s.

I was at the Marlies game courtesy of Sakman (thank  you again). Guhle impressed as he joined the rush repeatedly. Nylander disappointed though. First time I've seen him. He drifts in the slot, but the puck never makes it to him. He didn't show the ability to create much with the puck or the physiclaity to gain control of the puck. He was not a part of the first team power play. Just my observation though. Take to for what it's worth. I'm pulling for the guy, but am worried about him long term.

And yes in the second period, I thought they dominated for long stretches, only to give up the tying goal with about 30 seconds left in the period. 

The team as a whole was entertaining and fast on this night. Better than many of the Sabres games.  

Edited by 2 minuter för grovbearbetn

I was at the Marlies game courtesy of Sakman (thank you again). Guhle impressed as he joined the rush repeatedly. Nylander disappointed though. First time I've seen him. He drifts in the slot, but the puck never makes it to him. He didn't show the ability to create much with the puck or the physiclaity to gain control of the puck. He was not a part of the first team power play. Just my observation though. Take to for what it's worth. I'm pulling for the guy, but am worried about him long term.

And yes in the second period, I thought they dominated for long stretches, only to give up the tying goal with about 30 seconds left in the period.

The team as a whole was entertaining and fast on this night. Better than many of the Sabres games.

Good post.

It sucks to lose but the Marlies ain’t no. 1 for nothing. Pickard was stout and robbed a lot of good Amerk attempts. Outcome of that game was flip of the coin IMO.

Glad you had fun. Please come again.

It was a good game. Nylander picked up his own rebound on his goal. Tied 2-2 until 26 sec left in the 2nd. Baptiste took a BS hooking call with 5 min left in the third. They still nearly tied it. Marlies have some big dudes and can shoot well. Amerks are smaller with more skill and are freakin honey badgers at times. Huge stretch in the 2nd they kept the heat on in Marlies zone and kept them from the change. Bailey is back and right at it hitting every legit check he could. A loss but a close game with the #1 team.

Oh good, Bailey is back! Thanks for the update!

Amerks down 2-0 with 8 mins left, win 3-2 in OT. C.J. Smith with points on all 3 including scoring the game winner.

Smith is 1st in AHL Rookie scoring.

Smith is 3rd in AHL League scoring.

I think of this every time I hear that stupid trope that Buffalo never finds players like this.

Amerks have 38 points, which would put them in first place in every division in the AHL (6 of them) minus their current division where they trail the league leading Marlies. It's frustrating but they are a markedly better team this season.

This is good news.

I love that we have the Marlies in front of us as a carrot. Yes, the team is better, but look out there: there's a Marley that needs to be surpassed. We all know how all those dog book/movies (ala Marley and Me) end for the dog.

cj smith: 10g, 20a, 28games

I start to get excited by that.. but you look up two spots on the stats chart and see:

Phil Varone: 9G, 22A, 30games

And we know what he translated to in the NHL...on THIS team.  Sigh.  Let's hope Smith can make the jump.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.