Rochester Americans 2017/2018

LGR4GM

I start to get excited by that.. but you look up two spots on the stats chart and see:

Phil Varone: 9G, 22A, 30games

And we know what he translated to in the NHL...on THIS team.  Sigh.  Let's hope Smith can make the jump.

Varrone is 27 in his 8th season in the AHL. Smith is 23 in his first AHL season. There's a difference. 

Because undrafted college free agents don't typically pan out?

Maybe CJ is going to make the jump. I'll believe it when I see it. 

And yet in his first AHL season he looks to be "panning out". Even if he is just an AHL tweener, adds depth to the organization. 

I start to get excited by that.. but you look up two spots on the stats chart and see:

Phil Varone: 9G, 22A, 30games

And we know what he translated to in the NHL...on THIS team.  Sigh.  Let's hope Smith can make the jump.

Regardless of age or potential, Smith is rookie putting up over a point per game and leading the third best team in the AHL in scoring.

That’s impressive and already better than I ever thought he’d be.

Also, Brendan Guhle, tied for 10 in defencemen scoring, just 2 points out of fourth, again, as a rookie.

Another guy who looks ahead of the curve.

They might be Luke Adam and Marc-Andre Gragnani, but iD rather see guys overachieving than underachieving.

The CJ Smith discussion is one I've been anticipating for a bit. Hard to tell really what we have here. A savvy college grad taking advantage of a league full of 20 year olds or an impressive rookie that JBOT unearthed?

This is a few years old but, "The average age of an AHL player to start the 2012-13 season was 24 years and 2 months" https://theahl.com/ahl-weekly-release-off-and-running

Doubt it went down 4 years in... 4 years. Also, CJ Smith was 22 and 10 months to start the season. 

This dance used to happen regularly in Buffalo, but our drafting got so bad that now this is something noteable.

Could be the next Jody Gage / Ken Preistlay. Or he could be destined to be a solid NHLer. I’ve seen enough Gage/Varone/ Adam/ Verret types to refuse to be excited until there is actual NHL play to be excited about.

Meh, gor now.

Edited by We've

Varrone is 27 in his 8th season in the AHL. Smith is 23 in his first AHL season. There's a difference. 

Definitely why I said "Sigh.  Let's hope he can make the jump."

For some guys their game is close and then a certain league, a certain team/style of play is what really makes things click.  

I noticed something about CJ tonight that I hadn’t before. He can be Marchand-like at times. Not so much the dirty as much as the sneaky. Little picks, pokes etc. He gets away with them. I like it.

You are my favourite poster these days.

The only one bearing hope and good news.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I noticed something about CJ tonight that I hadn’t before. He can be Marchand-like at times. Not so much the dirty as much as the sneaky. Little picks, pokes etc. He gets away with them. I like it.

Ville Lieno was good at that too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.