The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

So did that Miami coach, and look where he is now.

Savage :lol:

The problem with using Bylsma's use of Sam against him is that Bylsma rarely changed the structure of his lines through 2 losing seasons. Sam did in fact have a small productive stretch at center but Bylsma reverted to his former ways and never tried it again.

The two years of lost development didn't only hurt the players individually. We should have a good idea of what O'Reilly looks like on wing and what Sam looks like down the middle and we don't.

I think Bylsma firmly believed in the traditional top-6/bottom-6 split, and his use of Sam reflected this more than his evaluation of where Sam, in a vacuum, should/could play. "Sam has too much talent not to be in our top-6, but he's our 3rd best center, so to the wing he goes." I honestly think it was that simple for Bylsma.

No Bogo

This is my shocked face.

The Bunker is accepting re-admittance applications for those who foolishly left over the summer.

Jack and Evander need seperate lines

Well it appears they have them.

The third line is kind of weird (is it a checking line or?) but the rest seems worth a try. have Girgensens get into the dirty areas a little and maybe open some ice for Jack and take the hot hand to try and help kickstart ROR. Worth a try. 

Beaulieu worries me. I know this is an odd idea, but I'd seriously try him as a winger like Bowman did with Lindy. 

Speaking of uproar, how is this board not going crazy over the new lines???? Reinhart already moved to the wing but they leave him on the 3rd line?? Really?! We want Girgs playing with Jack and think that's a good idea? If you are giving Sam his own line to centre then fine but if he's on the wing I see no reasonable explanation as to why he's on the third line and stone hand Girgs is playing with our franchise player.

Speaking of uproar, how is this board not going crazy over the new lines???? Reinhart already moved to the wing but they leave him on the 3rd line?? Really?! We want Girgs playing with Jack and think that's a good idea? If you are giving Sam his own line to centre then fine but if he's on the wing I see no reasonable explanation as to why he's on the third line and stone hand Girgs is playing with our franchise player.

There are so few sane people left here, I feel some sense of responsibility to not freak out over one of my own pet issues. I choose, to remain calm!

No no no Blue. You're the glue that holds this place together. It's like watching a couple continuously fight and yell obscenities at each other. When one of the parties just goes quiet it's usually because they don't have any fight left (or the other side is completely irrational). What scenario is it Blue? WHICH ONE IS IT?!

There is no 2nd and 3rd line... they are synonymous at the moment.  There is the top line.. the one with Eichel and Kane and then there's the next 6 and the bottom 3.  

The problem is that's what Phil wants but we don't have the players to sustain it. We just don't. If Bailey and Baptiste showed up to earn a job then maybe. The way it is we have an underachieving top line. Then we took some talent from the second to put on the third. The problem is it creates a below avg second unit and the third still isn't good enough. In my view, we have 5 legit top 6 forwards on this team. It's already spread pretty thin having to justify playing Pommers/Girgs/Pouliot/Griffith as the 6th. Then you put Reinhart to the third and you end up with Jack playing with Pommer and Girgs barf.

I think there is enough talent, and the problems we’ve seen are all between the ears — the players are trying to learn a new system (and in the case of half of them, a new team and new city), they make a mistake, it ends up in the net, they get tentative, guys like ROR and maybe Lehner are drowning in self-doubt and self-blame, some guys aren’t focused or determined enough, etc.

That’s where coaching comes in.

I think Howie can get them to the right place mentally and that this will turn around. It’s just gonna take some time.

Sam won't do anything today playing with Larsson and Pouliot. He's basically in the same place as Galchenyuk in Montreal. Maybe they'll do a straight swap.

I can't really care yet. Talk to me in December.

Ok one line is set.  

Girgensons, Eichel and Pommers

Now what?  

I think they have to let these lines cook for the rest of the road trip.

See if Kane turns out to be just as much of a possession black hole on the O'Reilly-Okposo line as he is with Eichel. 

Then figure out if he needs to be traded. He might be able to score, but it seems to come at a price. 

I think they have to let these lines cook for the rest of the road trip.

See if Kane turns out to be just as much of a possession black hole on the O'Reilly-Okposo line as he is with Eichel. 

Then figure out if he needs to be traded. He might be able to score, but it seems to come at a price. 

What he needs to get his shots is a playmaker first center. I'm not sure that's ROR. I'm thinking a 3rd line of Kane with Reinhart.  Let Sam only focus on playmaking.  Give him Griffith also to add more speed and let Griffith dig pucks out.  Kane is also decently D responsible.  

I like seeing both Eichel and Kane on the PK.  I also like seeing Eichel double shifted a couple of times last night.

So maybe

Girgensons Eichel Pommers

Larsson ROR Okposo

Kane Reinhart Griffith

Pouliot Josefson Nolan

Moulson

I might even let Moulson play with ROR to add a scorer to that line, then move Larsson to 4th line LW and Pouliot to the bench.  We have 6 talented forwards.  I think they need to be divided over 3 lines to get matchups that work and then suppliment those 3 pods with skills the pods need such as physical play for Eichel's Line.  Effort for ROR's and speed for Reihart's.

Edited by GASabresFan

What he needs to get his shots is a playmaker first center. I'm not sure that's ROR. I'm thinking a 3rd line of Kane with Reinhart.  Let Sam only focus on playmaking.  Give him Griffith also to add more speed and let Griffith.  Kane is also decently D responsible.  

I like seeing both Eichel and Kane on the PK.  I also like seeing Eichel double shifted a couple of times last night.

So maybe

Girgensons Eichel Pommers

Larsson ROR Okposo

Kane Reinhart Griffith

Pouliot Josefson Nolan

Moulson

I might even let Moulson play with ROR to add a scorer to that line, then move Larsson to 4th line LW and Pouliot to the bench.  We have 6 talented forwards.  I think they need to be divided over 3 lines to get matchups that work and then suppliment those 3 pods with skills the pods need such as physical play for Eichel's Line.  Effort for ROR's and speed for Reihart's.

I like those lines, although I'd prefer a faster guy on with ROR and KO -- which I'm not sure the Sabres have.

I don't really want Larsson that high up the depth chart, but if he can play the same role for that line that Girgs plays for his, then I can live with it. 

Kane really shouldn't be on the 3rd line, but it might be where he belongs if he can't work cohesively with either of the top lines. 

I don't really want Larsson that high up the depth chart, but if he can play the same role for that line that Girgs plays for his, then I can live with it. 

Kane really shouldn't be on the 3rd line, but it might be where he belongs if he can't work cohesively with either of the top lines. 

The nice thing about Kane on a 3rd line is that he is a match up nightmare for most teams' third lines.  His speed and phyiscal game can dominate in that setup if we can gets some chemistry between him and Sam (which they showed a little last season).  

Yes Kane is our best LW, but that doesn't mean he needs to play on the top line.

Edited by GASabresFan

The nice thing about Kane on a 3rd line is that he is a match up nightmare for most teams' third lines.  His speed and phyiscal game can dominate in that setup if we can gets some chemistry between him and Sam (which they showed a little last season).  

Yes Kane is our best LW, but that doesn't mean he needs to play on the top line.

Exactly. Put Kane on the 3rd line and give them equal minutes to the other 2 top lines and see what happens. The first year of a new Head Coach is the perfect time to see experiment with lines, positions, and usage to see what works best.