The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

true but you need a 4th center for tonight. both guys who could potentially fill that spot (ERod and Josefson) are hurt.

Griffith could have.

Does this mean that the Seth Griffith experiment is nearing it’s conclusion?

Doesn't seem to be getting much ice time lately.

@JourdonLaBarber

With Zemgus Girgensons & Jacob Josefson absent, Sam Reinhart is back at center at #Sabres practice:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Bailey-O'Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Griffith

Moulson-Larsson-Nolan

@Matt_Bove

Ryan Vinz, who works at @HARBORCTR is skating with the #Sabres as the second goalie. He dressed as a backup for Sabres a few years ago

@Matt_Bove

Also missing from #Sabres  practice: 

Bogosian

Gorges

Girgensons

Josefson

@BillHoppeNHL

Girgensons, Josefson, Gorges and Lehner absent from practice today. #Sabres

In case you're keeping track.

A few weeks ago I wrote how I thought Housley was trying to match the 4th line against the opposing teams second, trying to give the Reinhart line more opportunity. Yesterday I looked at what's called the htmlreport, and decided I was wrong. The lines match up O'Reilly vs 1, Eichel vs 2, Reinhart vs 3, and 4 vs 4.

I don't hate that

I don't like him on the left and how the hell are the other two going to keep up with him?

I think that's kinda the idea: he can provide the speed on the rush and get in on the forecheck in a way they can't.

Don't know that they think the same game, but it's worth a shot.

Don't know what the reluctance to team Bailey and Reinhart is.

In case you're keeping track.

A few weeks ago I wrote how I thought Housley was trying to match the 4th line against the opposing teams second, trying to give the Reinhart line more opportunity. Yesterday I looked at what's called the htmlreport, and decided I was wrong. The lines match up O'Reilly vs 1, Eichel vs 2, Reinhart vs 3, and 4 vs 4.

How much of that is Phil versus the home coach getting last change?

sorry about that, I wasn't wrong, so I deleted the previous post. I had a bug in the software.

This is how the first game was in 5-5. I use the amount of power play time your opponents get as the metric. So you'll see here in game 1 vs Montreal, the fourth line got hard minutes as a method of giving Reinhart easy minutes (the reason Beaulieu is listed twice is once is the goaltender(it's a long story) I'm not sure which is which, though the goaltender probably sits toward the middle of the list)

POULIOT 10.74

O'REILLY 10.17

OKPOSO 9.97

BEAULIEU8.38

SCANDELLA7.96

TENNYSON7.81

RISTOLAINEN7.31

BEAULIEU7.12

NOLAN6.66

JOSEFSON6.65

LARSSON6.64

KANE6.14

EICHEL5.83

POMINVILLE5.71

ANTIPIN4.98

MCCABE4.97

REINHART4.80

GRIFFITH4.38

GIRGENSONS4.23

sorry about that, I wasn't wrong, so I deleted the previous post. I had a bug in the software.

This is how the first game was in 5-5. I use the amount of power play time your opponents get as the metric. So you'll see here in game 1 vs Montreal, the fourth line got hard minutes as a method of giving Reinhart easy minutes (the reason Beaulieu is listed twice is once is the goaltender(it's a long story) I'm not sure which is which, though the goaltender probably sits toward the middle of the list)

POULIOT 10.74

O'REILLY 10.17

OKPOSO 9.97

BEAULIEU8.38

SCANDELLA7.96

TENNYSON7.81

RISTOLAINEN7.31

BEAULIEU7.12

NOLAN6.66

JOSEFSON6.65

LARSSON6.64

KANE6.14

EICHEL5.83

POMINVILLE5.71

ANTIPIN4.98

MCCABE4.97

REINHART4.80

GRIFFITH4.38

GIRGENSONS4.23

I'm missing something.  What do the numbers mean?

game 2 against the islanders, and please remember I'm writing code, so I might once again be wrong..

This is an away game, so notice how Reinhart gets a much tougher matchup

GIRGENSONS9.61

O'REILLY9.28

RISTOLAINEN9.00

GRIFFITH8.79

BEAULIEU8.51

REINHART8.37

OKPOSO8.20

LARSSON8.11

MCCABE7.95

JOHNSON7.55

BEAULIEU7.54

KANE7.44

EICHEL7.31

POMINVILLE7.17

ANTIPIN6.76

SCANDELLA6.75

POULIOT6.04

TENNYSON6.01

JOSEFSON5.59

MOULSON5.52

the metric, eleven, is the amount of average power play time your opponent EDIT FORWARDS gets.

game 3 against NJ has really bizarre numbers, so I'm going to look at this some before I waste a bunch of paper posting this

Edited by rakish

game 2 against the islanders, and please remember I'm writing code, so I might once again be wrong..

This is an away game, so notice how Reinhart gets a much tougher matchup

GIRGENSONS9.61

O'REILLY9.28

RISTOLAINEN9.00

GRIFFITH8.79

BEAULIEU8.51

REINHART8.37

OKPOSO8.20

LARSSON8.11

MCCABE7.95

JOHNSON7.55

BEAULIEU7.54

KANE7.44

EICHEL7.31

POMINVILLE7.17

ANTIPIN6.76

SCANDELLA6.75

POULIOT6.04

TENNYSON6.01

JOSEFSON5.59

MOULSON5.52

the metric, eleven, is the amount of average power play time your opponent EDIT FORWARDS gets.

game 3 against NJ has really bizarre numbers, so I'm going to look at this some before I waste a bunch of paper posting this

So Girgensons 9.61 means that he spent 9.61 minutes killing penalties?  These numbers seem huge for that.

opp

So Girgensons 9.61 means that he spent 9.61 minutes killing penalties?  These numbers seem huge for that.

I think it's opponents' forwards pp time. So Girgs is out 5v5 against the forwards on the opponent PP more often than anyone else. The idea (I think) is he's out against the offensive players and therefore harder matchups.

It think it means he spent 9.61 even strength minutes playing against guys who play on the opponent's PP.

He's using PP use as a way to measure the most offensively gifted forwards.

Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

average power play time of your opponent forwards.

Therefore, if you are on the ice with Crosby (who might get 6 minutes/game), Malkin (who might get 4 minutes/game), Rust (who might get 1 min/game), your opponent forward power play time would be 11 for that moment.

Dudacek and MattPie have it right I think

Edited by rakish