Will Butcher To Hit Free Agency

bob_sauve28

• 3 weeks later...

Becomes a UFA Today.

Per Detroit News Buffalo is a potential suitor for him

THE DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan reports the Detroit Red Wings are expected to be among the suitors for former Colorado Avalanche prospect defenseman Will Butcher. The 2017 winner of the Hobey Baker Award is now an unrestricted free agent. In addition to the Wings, Kulfan reports “Pittsburgh, Chicago and Minnesota (both close to home for the Wisconsin native), Buffalo, Toronto and New Jersey have been linked to Butcher.”

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Because of the constraints on NHL entry-level contracts, money won’t play a role in where Butcher goes. He’ll likely sign with an NHL team that can provide him what Kulfan calls “immediate playing time.” He could get that from Detroit, Buffalo or New Jersey.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Reading about Butcher just shows how many clueless writers get respect in 2017.

First, he doesn't become a free agent till tomorrow.

Second, I actually saw an interview where he said immediate playing time is not expected and he prefers to ho to a team where his long range development is more important.

Edited by tom webster

Reading about Butcher just shows how many clueless writers get respect in 2017.

First, he doesn't become a free agent till tomorrow.

Second, I actually saw an interview where he said immediate playing time is not expected and he prefers to ho to a team where his long range development is more important.

He's not going to find that immediate playing time anywhere.  It's a very curious statement for anyone to through into their story.

Ristolainen Scandella McCabe 1-3 in that order - McCabe may eventually pass him, but Scandella has been a better player up until now and starts the season ahead of him.

Given his track record and the other players in the mix, Bogosian will begin at four, but he doesn't deserve it based on last year.

Beaulieu scored 28 points last year and is skilled. He opens at five but could move up or down.

Despite his limitations, Gorges is a vet and an assistant captain. He gets six, but is vulnerable.

Antipin opens at 7, slightly ahead of Guhle because of age and JBot's development philosophy. Either could earn a top four slot.

So the highest I see Butcher opening is nine, although he may see himself on par with Anitipin and Guhle. He could also be as low as 12/13 with Casey Nelson (with Tennyson, Fedun and Falk ahead).

The good thing for him is this is an open competition, and there is a chance for quick upward mobility with Gorges on his last legs, and Bogo and Baloo with a lot to prove.

He'd be able to log 20 minutes a game in Rochester this year with a legitimate shot at full-time NHL status next year with Gorges gone. Pending of course his development and that of others (and trades, etc). 

It seems like Housley could be a good recruiter in this case given that he's a defenseman who relies on skating and moving the puck. 

Oh, the ironing.

we're on a message board, I don't expect it here but the Denver Post? Come on now. 

That said, if I were Butcher I wouldn't go near Colorado. The team is a mess, they ignored you for 3 years, and did I mention the team is a mess?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.