Olympic Hockey 2018

GASabresIUFAN

And yet we care more about the championship of the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA more than any respective world tournament.  We would rather see our local teams succeed rather than see our National teams take our best talent and win.

Just the way it is.  The National Anthem and Pledge are false patriotic traditions that are holdover from an era when we needed to be brainwashed.  The most "patriotic" American couldn't give damn about the United States competing against the world.  They care about their college football team winning an SEC championship or their NBA team winning the final. 

Other countries celebrate their internationally successful athletes and their respective sports.  In the US we view the Olympics as second fiddle to our big 3 (and some throw hockey in there for #4).

I agree with the last part especially. Could any of the foreign correspondents shed any light? Would MODO rather see  MODO win the SHL, The Sabres Win the cup, or Sweden win the Olympic Hockey gold?

Don't know but betting on Sweden winning the gold.

Over time I think it becomes the team you are most invested in. I love it when Canada wins gold, but I'd trade all the Gold Medals I've seen won for one Sabres Cup, without a second of hesitation.

Over time I think it becomes the team you are most invested in. I love it when Canada wins gold, but I'd trade all the Gold Medals I've seen won for one Sabres Cup, without a second of hesitation.

If the Sabres had won a cup in 2006 would you still feel the same?

And yet we care more about the championship of the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA more than any respective world tournament.  We would rather see our local teams succeed rather than see our National teams take our best talent and win.

Just the way it is.  The National Anthem and Pledge are false patriotic traditions that are holdover from an era when we needed to be brainwashed.  The most "patriotic" American couldn't give damn about the United States competing against the world.  They care about their college football team winning an SEC championship or their NBA team winning the final. 

Other countries celebrate their internationally successful athletes and their respective sports.  In the US we view the Olympics as second fiddle to our big 3 (and some throw hockey in there for #4).

Well, that's really only because our sports aren't international, and on a broader spectrum, neither is any of our entertainment. Europe shares soccer and hockey, they do international tournaments and compete against one another. They are hour long trade rides away from nearly everyone, so they see, communicate, and generally just have much more interaction with other nations than we do. Kind of like how we are around here with certain city by city rivalries

I also think another big part of it is, well, we only care about our leagues because they have the best international talent as it is, outside of soccer. Know the one international tournament we care more about than our local ones? Soccer, both the World Cup and the Olympics. 

As for the bold, well this is just because the brainwashing is already complete.

I've seen American underdogs win gold.  Dream teams don't give me the same excitement. 

Except in the case of hockey 5 or 6 of the teams are dream teams.  The United States just doesn't win all the time at hockey.  For me it's pretty exciting to see if the US can finally put together the talent to take down Canada, Russia, Sweden, or Finland with the Czech Republic right there as well and a few others.

This isn't basketball where the US is going to win, every, single, time.

Baseball isn't even worthy of being in the Olympics anymore

Football.. well that's pure US and I'm beginning to wonder how many negative studies have to come out about head trauma effects, opioid addictions, and lifelong pain (and severely shortened life span) before people stop wanting to play the sport (or parents letting their kids play it).

Except in the case of hockey 5 or 6 of the teams are dream teams.  The United States just doesn't win all the time at hockey.  For me it's pretty exciting to see if the US can finally put together the talent to take down Canada, Russia, Sweden, or Finland with the Czech Republic right there as well and a few others.

This isn't basketball where the US is going to win, every, single, time.

Baseball isn't even worthy of being in the Olympics anymore

Football.. well that's pure US and I'm beginning to wonder how many negative studies have to come out about head trauma effects, opioid addictions, and lifelong pain (and severely shortened life span) before people stop wanting to play the sport (or parents letting their kids play it).

To much $$ involved, 

Well, that's really only because our sports aren't international, and on a broader spectrum, neither is any of our entertainment. Europe shares soccer and hockey, they do international tournaments and compete against one another. They are hour long trade rides away from nearly everyone, so they see, communicate, and generally just have much more interaction with other nations than we do. Kind of like how we are around here with certain city by city rivalries

I also think another big part of it is, well, we only care about our leagues because they have the best international talent as it is, outside of soccer. Know the one international tournament we care more about than our local ones? Soccer, both the World Cup and the Olympics. 

As for the bold, well this is just because the brainwashing is already complete.

Over here we don't care as much about football in the Olympics, zero interest and most feel like it shouldn't be in the olympics at all.

To much $$ involved, 

Over here we don't care as much about football in the Olympics, zero interest and most feel like it shouldn't be in the olympics at all.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who cares about men's soccer in the Olympics.  Women's soccer tends to be a bigger deal, at least here.

The team sports in the olympics as a whole aren't all that interesting to me.  I'd imagine that the individual sports are the biggest draw for most people.  It's easier to tell the stories when it's a single person you're focusing on, as opposed to having to build up an entire team over a two week period.  I'll include small team events like a relay or a bobsled in this category.  Those events are the first images that pop into my mind when I think of the olympics, mostly sports that you really only ever see on that stage and nowhere else.  Sure, you can find them at other times of the year, but not too easily.

The team sports in the olympics as a whole aren't all that interesting to me.  I'd imagine that the individual sports are the biggest draw for most people.  It's easier to tell the stories when it's a single person you're focusing on, as opposed to having to build up an entire team over a two week period.  I'll include small team events like a relay or a bobsled in this category.  Those events are the first images that pop into my mind when I think of the olympics, mostly sports that you really only ever see on that stage and nowhere else.  Sure, you can find them at other times of the year, but not too easily.

I will watch curling and hockey at the Winter Olympics all day long.  Most of the individual sports, I don't care about at all.  Speed skating and ski jumping are probably it.

• 4 weeks later...

Random question that just came to mind:

If a player signs with his NHL team but is then returned to major junior, would he be eligible for the Olympics?  For the sake of example, let's plug in Nolan Patrick's name, someone who clearly would be on team Canada's radar if he was an option.

• 4 weeks later...

USA GM rules out taking draft eligible players to the Olympics

Johannson tells The Associated Press he doesn’t view anyone from the 18-and-younger pool of prospects capable of cracking the projected lineup of non-NHL players, many of whom are opening this season playing in Europe.

USA Hockey’s assistant executive director says he’s also targeting a number of established college players, and would not rule out keeping a spot or two open for members of the U.S. team competing at the World Junior Championships this winter.

http://www.tsn.ca/u-s-won-t-take-draft-prospects-to-olympics-1.863658

• 1 month later...

Just when you thought the situation couldn't get worse, well, the USA sweaters are out:

http://i.redd.it/835578zl3dvz.jpg

I despise the font and lack of laces. Better than those weird shiny applique laces from last year.

But I'm going to unpopular opine here.. I like the arm stuff. Screw it. It's kind of a 90s garishness that sorta resembles wings. 

Would I prefer a really nice classic looking sweater that hearkens back to the early days of playing? Oh, absolutely. But if we're going to reinvent the wheel here, I guess I don't mind this one too much. Still doesn't have the gravitas of an official jersey- feels like a novelty "Worn for warmup and auctioned off for charity" deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.