Olympic Hockey 2018

GASabresIUFAN

I was looking at the "best" UFAs still available; guys like Markov, Vanek, Stafford, Franson, Fisher and Gionta and I think because of the Olympics I might sign in Europe and then go represent my country in the games. For most of the guys on this list it will be their last and in some cases only chance to represent their country. I know Gionta wants to be near home, but what an opportunity. Go play in the Swiss league, earn a decent paycheck, and then Captain the US olympic squad.

I was reading that there are some 200 USA born players currently playing in Europe. Also guys like new Amerk signee and former KHL goal leader Stevie Moses (guys on AHL only contracts) and college kids will be eligible for the team. If your USA hockey, wouldn't you want guys like Stafford and Gionta on such a team to add leadership and experience?

I was looking at the "best" UFAs still available; guys like Markov, Vanek, Stafford, Franson, Fisher and Gionta and I think because of the Olympics I might sign in Europe and then go represent my country in the games. For most of the guys on this list it will be their last and in some cases only chance to represent their country. I know Gionta wants to be near home, but what an opportunity. Go play in the Swiss league, earn a decent paycheck, and then Captain the US olympic squad.

I was reading that there are some 200 USA born players currently playing in Europe. Also guys like new Amerk signee and former KHL goal leader Stevie Moses (guys on AHL only contracts) and college kids will be eligible for the team. If your USA hockey, wouldn't you want guys like Stafford and Gionta on such a team to add leadership and experience?

Somewhere, not far from here, d4rk just threw up a little in his mouth and doesn't yet know why.

I still think the NHL ends up going. The players want to play, the NHL knows they want to play, they're holding it over their heads.

Somewhere, not far from here, d4rk just threw up a little in his mouth and doesn't yet know why.

I still think the NHL ends up going. The players want to play, the NHL knows they want to play, they're holding it over their heads.

I thought it was the El Nino burrito fighting back. I see now that I was wrong.

They already have the schedule out.  It would be a logistical nightmare for them to participate at this point.  It's not happening.

They already have the schedule out.  It would be a logistical nightmare for them to participate at this point.  It's not happening.

This.

I've heard rumors of a second schedule in case they strike a deal with the IOC.

Someone mentioned that around here a couple weeks ago.  That doesn't work either.  Venues are booked, tickets are sold.  The thought of moving that stuff around, even if the backup schedule exists, is a complete nightmare.

I think the all-star weekend is Jan 27th and the Olympics Feb 10-25. They'd have to cancel the all-star weekend in TB to do the Olympics. Not happening at this point.

The NHL isn't playing this time. The point of this thread is that USA Hockey and the other associations be wise to add a few NHL vets to their teams for both quality of play, and experience. These vets would also be wise to participate.

As much as I love the NHL, they sure do push us to the brink as fans at times. Really annoyed that they're trying to ban their players from the Olympics. The league is like a hot chick that knows she can get away with being awful to people lol.

On a side note, I bet we'll see Antipin's partner Chris Lee playing for Canada.

Also, I seriously hope Ryan Miller makes an appearance, somehow, someway. The 2010 tournament was some of the most exciting hockey I have ever seen, still wish I could find it on dvd somehow. 

Many here are two young to have actually watched the Miracle on Ice, but the hockey Tourney back then was great.  It didn't need to "pros" to be great  (the Eastern Bloc teams were essentially pros).  This coming Olympics should be just fine.  I'm kind of excited to see how the mix of young and old will do.  Seeing Mittelstadt getting big time Int experience with NHL vets like a Gionta should enhance his development and be great for us and the Sabres long-term. 

Many here are two young to have actually watched the Miracle on Ice, but the hockey Tourney back then was great.  It didn't need to "pros" to be great  (the Eastern Bloc teams were essentially pros).  This coming Olympics should be just fine.  I'm kind of excited to see how the mix of young and old will do.  Seeing Mittelstadt getting big time Int experience with NHL vets like a Gionta should enhance his development and be great for us and the Sabres long-term. 

You had a villain in those days though, which makes anything better.  I guess Canada would be that by default right now, but that's a pretty weak villain status.

You had a villain in those days though, which makes anything better.  I guess Canada would be that by default right now, but that's a pretty weak villain status.

Exactly, which is why the USSR game is remembered and the Finland game is forgotten.

Also, my being upset about the NHL not being included has nothing to do with the quality of hockey, I'm sure it's not going to look like a Keystone Cops episode out there. For me its about seeing NHL stars competing for their country. Its like an All-Star game that actually matters.

Also, I really want to see Eichel play for USA.

Also, I really want to watch Leafs fans be upset about rooting against Matthews.

Also, my being upset about the NHL not being included has nothing to do with the quality of hockey, I'm sure it's not going to look like a Keystone Cops episode out there. For me its about seeing NHL stars competing for their country. Its like an All-Star game that actually matters.

Also, I really want to see Eichel play for USA.

Also, I really want to watch Leafs fans be upset about rooting against Matthews.

So many valid points. Olympics is awesome no matter what but with NHL players it's even more awesome.

While many of us are approaching this from the US attitude (very little nationalism)... there are people in other countries who are not happy their country's best players are not able to represent their flag at the Olympics.

I am sure they will enjoy rooting for their best players from the other professional leagues but they'll really want the BEST players to be there to give their country the best chance to win.

While many of us are approaching this from the US attitude (very little nationalism)... there are people in other countries who are not happy their country's best players are not able to represent their flag at the Olympics.

I am sure they will enjoy rooting for their best players from the other professional leagues but they'll really want the BEST players to be there to give their country the best chance to win.

LOL WUT

I know right? I could make Uncle Sam blush the way I approach Olympic hockey; even Brazilian soccer fans would roll their eyes at me

USA USA USA!!!

I was referring more to the facts that we live in a society so patriotic that we play anthems before domestic sporting competitions, pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth before school, and have t-shirts with tear-shedding bald eagles on them.  

I was referring more to the facts that we live in a society so patriotic that we play anthems before domestic sporting competitions, pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth before school, and have t-shirts with tear-shedding bald eagles on them.  

Stop, I can only get so erect. 

I still think that guys are going to go and play for their country for 2 weeks instead of play for their NHL team for 2 weeks. 

What's Bettman going to do? Fine them, suspend them, fire them? I don't think Bettman can stop them. 

I imagine he can sue or withhold their paychecks. I'm sure there's some kind of standard AWOL clause written into NHL contracts. If that's the case they can probably take any players who don't show up to work to court for breach of contract.

LOL WUT

And yet we care more about the championship of the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA more than any respective world tournament.  We would rather see our local teams succeed rather than see our National teams take our best talent and win.

Just the way it is.  The National Anthem and Pledge are false patriotic traditions that are holdover from an era when we needed to be brainwashed.  The most "patriotic" American couldn't give damn about the United States competing against the world.  They care about their college football team winning an SEC championship or their NBA team winning the final. 

Other countries celebrate their internationally successful athletes and their respective sports.  In the US we view the Olympics as second fiddle to our big 3 (and some throw hockey in there for #4).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.