Botterill and the Defense

LGR4GM

After seeing how JBots has addressed this in very short order, I can't help but think why TM couldn't do something similar. It's not like JBOT broke the bank for anybody. IDK, that's why TM is unemployed now.

I am as big a EXGMTM fan as anyone but I'm not sure he has the vision or appreciation for defenseman like Scandella or Beaulieu (sp).

I'm pretty shocked, that Minnesota trade is still mind boggling.... And If fletcher said he was looking at Marcus for years, I can't believe ex Murray didn't pull the trigger on something, if he thought foligno was a core piece then we had the wrong GM

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

I think, at least long term, that we need another top pair guy; everything I've seen about Scandella is that he's a really solid 2nd pair guy. And I like that, realistically, last year we had only 2 guys who had any right to play in the top 4 in McCabe and Risto. I need one more star, or at least star-adjacent, defenseman, really regardless of whether Risto is a star or not. Maybe Guhle is that guy.

To be honest, I believe that Guhle is slotted to be the Top Pairing LHD to play with Risto in the long term. He probably gets most of the year in Rochester to develop properly.

I can't give JBot full credit for Antipin.

Agreed

Would have have gotten the blame if Antipin decided to sign elsewhere? Namely by members of the print media?

Edited by BRAWNDO

After seeing how JBots has addressed this in very short order, I can't help but think why TM couldn't do something similar. It's not like JBOT broke the bank for anybody. IDK, that's why TM is unemployed now.

I fully expect that Murray would have made a few moves like this.

None of the players he acquired were available in season, and similar trades weren't being made in season.

I suspect the groundwork for the Scandella trade was done by Murray and know the groundwork for Antipin was.

Also, most had Kulikov ranked last year the same we have Scandella ranked this year.

Let's hope JBot has better luck and the training staff fixed the bench door.

I fully expect that Murray would have made a few moves like this.

None of the players he acquired were available in season, and similar trades weren't being made in season.

I suspect the groundwork for the Scandella trade was done by Murray and know the groundwork for Antipin was.

Also, most had Kulikov ranked last year the same we have Scandella ranked this year.

Let's hope JBot has better luck and the training staff fixed the bench door.

I really don't think this is true. Kulikov was not considered a legit top-4 by too many. The stats community in particular didn't like him at all.

I really don't think this is true. Kulikov was not considered a legit top-4 by too many. The stats community in particular didn't like him at all.

I remember the stats argument, particularly in comparison to Pysyk, but I also remember most saying we got a leftie to play on our second pair in exchange for our third-pairing rightie. I also remember a lot of talk about how Kulikov had been Floridas top shutdown guy in the playoffs.

I remember the stats argument, particularly in comparison to Pysyk, but I also remember most saying we got a leftie to play on our second pair in exchange for our third-pairing rightie. I also remember a lot of talk about how Kulikov had been Floridas top shutdown guy in the playoffs.

Kulikov's playoff performance, and the interpretation thereof, remain one of the best examples of recency bias in....ahem...recent memory.

It wasn't me.

Could McCabe be on our 3rd pairing next season? Everyone seems to be matching up Baloo with Antipin. I think this is bad matchup. Antinpin is supposed to be a bit of a rover. He'll need a partner who is defensively aware. That is not Baloo's strength, but it is McCabe's.

What about?

Scandella Risto

Baloo Bogo

McCabe Antipin

Edited by GASabresFan

I wonder what happens with Gorges. They just can't throw him on the trash heap, he makes too much and wore an "A". You'd think a young team like Vegas would be a good fit.

I was also thinking about the $3.9 million paperweight. Is he the 7th D and we just eat his last season or do we send him down, save a $1 mill in cap and hope he is a positive influence on the kids. The second alternative doesn't seem like the plan after signing Fedun and Tennyson.

It wasn't me.

Could McCabe be on our 3rd pairing next season? Everyone seems to be matching up Baloo with Antipin. I think this is bad matchup. Antinpin is supposed to be a bit of a rover. He'll need a partner who is defensively aware. That is not Baloo's strength, but it is McCabe's.

What about?

Scandella Risto

Baloo Bogo

McCabe Antipin

Why would you put BOGO on a 2nd pairing??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.