Taylor Fedun Signed to Extension

Brawndo

Which NHL teams have better 7/8 guys than Falk/Fedun, and can you show that those guys are better? 

Also that depth chart is whack, because Fedun is very clearly better than Austin, Nelson, Falk, and Gorges.

Fedun is in no way better then Falk.  That is why Falk played 52 games in Buffalo last season and received a one way contract while Fedun played 27.  Both played a shelters 13 minutes a night.

I have Nelson and Austin listed ahead of him because they are younger and hopefully have more upside then Fedun.

As to which teams had better 7/8 then us last season.

1) Pitt - Letang, Cole, Schultz, Dumoulin, Daley, Maatta, Streit, Hainsey

2) NYI - Hamonic, DeHaan, Leddy, Hickey, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Pelach and Poluck (They protected both Pelach and Poluck in expansion)

3) Ana - Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Bieksa, Stoner, Theodore, Montour, Holzer, plus Despres and Larsson in reserve

I could an Minn also and probably Nashville, maybe even Philly with their overflowing pipeline.  NYI, Ana, Minn and Philly benefit from having great D pipelines.

PS: I'm not upset, I just want something better for my team.  Sorry to hear about Austin, I guess he is to slow for Jbot's system.

Edited by GASabresFan

I had never heard of Natty Daddy until today. This marks the second time I've heard it today. Weird.

Really? Really?

I mean, I don't drink them or call them that, but I've definitely heard it. I'm a Keystone guy if we're drinking the worst beer possible. Preferably Keystone Ice.

Really? Really?

I mean, I don't drink them or call them that, but I've definitely heard it. I'm a Keystone guy if we're drinking the worst beer possible. Preferably Keystone Ice.

If the stores I go into to buy beer have it, I don't go to that section. If I'm slumming it I might drink Corona.

Fedun is in no way better then Falk.  That is why Falk played 52 games in Buffalo last season and received a one way contract while Fedun played 27.  Both played a shelters 13 minutes a night.

I have Nelson and Austin listed ahead of him because they are younger and hopefully have more upside then Fedun.

2) NYI - Hamonic, DeHaan, Leddy, Hickey, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Pelach and Poluck (They protected both Pelach and Poluck in expansion)

3) Ana - Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm, Manson, Bieksa, Stoner, Theodore, Montour, Holzer, plus Despres and Larsson in reserve

I could an Minn also and probably Nashville, maybe even Philly with their overflowing pipeline.  NYI, Ana, Minn and Philly benefit from having great D pipelines.

PS: I'm not upset, I just want something better for my team.  Sorry to hear about Austin, I guess he is to slow for Jbot's system.

Fedun is notably better at moving the puck than Falk, even if Falk is bigger so he 'looks' better at playing defense. I do give him the slight defensive edge but both are mediocre and Fedun clearly takes the puck-moving cake. And I have a statistical post comparing Fedun to Gorges buried somewhere as well as a more recent post with video examples. Falk is what some people seem to think Gorges is, that is he has Gorges' skill set but hasn't had his skating erode to ECHL levels yet. 

How Dan Bylsma used a player has nothing to do with that player's actual value because Dan Bylsma is a buffoon who was so bad we had to fire him two years into a five year deal. 

Pretty sure that the handedness of Fulk and Fedun played into their playing time in Buffalo.

I think Falk and Austin might be better for GMTM. But for an attacking/rushing defense of JBot/Housley... Fedun (hopefully Nelson, too) beat them on the depth chart. Fedun was *maybe* our best rushing D-man last season. Caveat: when allowed to do so. Caveat^2: HCDDB probably hated it when Fedun carried the puck up ice, but we looked good when he did so.

So maybe something akin to:

***commandeering GASabresFan's list -- much obliged***

1 Risto, 2 McCabe, 3 ?????, 4 Baloo, 5. Antipin, 6. Bogo

7. Gorges (regular scratch or #6 at the moment)

8. Fedun

9. Guhle - Playing top minutes in Roch with spot callups.

10. Falk - Should be called up if necessary for longer injury fill in especially early in the season

11. Nelson - Getting lots of minutes in Roch

12. Stephens - becoming AHL-caliber with his athleticism

How Dan Bylsma used a player has nothing to do with that player's actual value because Dan Bylsma is a buffoon who was so bad we had to fire him two years into a five year deal. 

burn.

Not disputing, though. Damn... we totally lost on the coaching carousel, didn't we?

A lot right with this post in that we haven't improved the defence enough and need to acquire more.

What's wrong with it though is the implication Falk and Fedun were the problem.

Guhle/Falk/Fedun as our 7/8/9 matches up well with the rest of the league.

Our issue was with Bogosian and Kulikov at 2/3 and Franson/Gorges at 5/6.

The latter were incapable of moving higher on the depth chart and the former were disasters in their roles.

I think between Guhle, Antipin and Beaulieu we've probably upgraded the 5/6 positions, but the 3/4 is still a huge issue.

This.

Folks Fedun was our 8th D last season, Don't you hope for better this season?

We have Risto, McCabe, Baloo, Bogo, Antipin, Gorges, Falk, Guhle under contract, Nelson, Austin and now Fedun.  Don't you hope that Feden is slated for Roch and only called up when all other options are exhausted?  Don't you still hope for a depth FA or two that are legit NHL players and not AAAA players like Fedun and Falk?  

Do really want to head into next season with 4/6 of the same starting D from last season's terrible group with Falk and Fedun being D 7 & 8 again.  Come on we need to expect more then just the same failed re-treads.  

The Sabres lost two D this offseason (Kulikov and Franson), and have picked up two (Anitpin and Beaulieu), Fedun was the lesser half of F-troop (Falk and Fedun, injury call-ups), and signed to a two-way contract. This screams "top-pair AHL / competent enough fill-in for bottom pair". I don't have a hard time believing that Fedun is that much worse than most teams' #9 on the depth chart; the problem last season was he wasn't that much worse than the #4-6 guys.

Really? Really?

Never gonna forget that story :lol:

If the stores I go into to buy beer have it, I don't go to that section. If I'm slumming it I might drink Corona.

Corona is slumming it? Damn man, what is your normal?

I think I've had 5 Coronas in my lifetime.

And I only ever slum it.

Slumming it tastes better, gets the job done, and is cheaper

Icehouse or GTFO

My buddy would always show up to parties with at least a 6 pack of icehouse pounders. Every time.

Never had one. Feel like all the ice beers are really the same though

My buddy would always show up to parties with at least a 6 pack of icehouse pounders. Every time.

I had many a good time with that 6 pack of pounders in college. Was always a good way to get the night started.  :wacko: 

I am positive that I couldn't drink it today. 

I haven't had Colt 45 in ages though. I might have to have a throwback weekend at some point. 

I had many a good time with that 6 pack of pounders in college. Was always a good way to get the night started. :wacko:

I haven't had Colt 45 in ages though. I might have to have a throwback weekend at some point.

I go OE over Colt 45, every time!

I had many a good time with that 6 pack of pounders in college. Was always a good way to get the night started.  :wacko: 

You guys are young we had ov and miller splits and would get molson or labatts if we had real cash lol...

Never gonna forget that story :lol:

Corona is slumming it? Damn man, what is your normal?

Slumming it tastes better, gets the job done, and is cheaper

Never had one. Feel like all the ice beers are really the same though

coronas really werent around nor most of the micros, amstell and michelob were reasonably priced decent beers till we hit duty free.

You guys are young we had ov and miller splits and would get molson or labatts if we had real cash lol...

coronas really werent around nor most of the micros, amstell and michelob were reasonably priced decent beers till we hit duty free.

D4rk has been on a quest for a while to find a bowling alley somewhere in Buffalo that still serves OV splits. It must still exist somewhere.

As for why I think Fedun will play more in Buffalo than in Rochester: I think that by New Year's he will be ahead of Gorges and Falk, that he is already ahead of Nelson and will stay there, and that Guhle will play most of the year in Rochester. If those assumptions are correct, then he'd be #6, and even if they add another 2nd pair defenseman, Fedun would be #7.

We'll be running a totally different system this year. Assuming Housley embraces the 5-man interchangeable parts system run by Nashville, our defensemen will have very different responsibilities this coming season. They need to be able to skate, carry the puck, and jump into the rush (and even lead the rush). I think this system will be great for Risto. But, our defense-first guys (e.g., Gorges) will either fall by the wayside or be relegated to the third pair. I think Fedun fits our new system better than a guy like Falk.

As for why I think Fedun will play more in Buffalo than in Rochester: I think that by New Year's he will be ahead of Gorges and Falk, that he is already ahead of Nelson and will stay there, and that Guhle will play most of the year in Rochester. If those assumptions are correct, then he'd be #6, and even if they add another 2nd pair defenseman, Fedun would be #7.

Hard to argue with any of that. Good points

I actually thought Nelson looked pretty good when we signed him a few years back...guess he is not on the radar now...he sure can skate

I certainly don't think about skating when I think of him. I think about someone who has no clue what to do in his own end. Like none. At all.

Again if Fedun is our 6th D this season, Jbot has failed us. We need to improve, we need better depth. Having Fedun in a bigger role is neither improvement or improved depth.

Fedun is a 29 year old AAAA player at best, with only 39 games of NHL experience, 27 of which were last season as the 8th D playing only 13 minutes on a terrible team. What did he do to earn a bigger role? What has he shown to prove he can handle a full time NHL job?. He should be on NHL ice in emergency situations only. We need a true NHL D in the 6th and 7th slots. Someone who may be able to play 15-18 minutes. To have Fedun back in a role like last season or better role would be a mistake. He just isn't good enough.

There are many cheap but better options. Quincey and Hunwick for example. I'd rather have Nesterov or take a chance, even for bigger dollars on a one year deal on Del Zotto or Brendan Smith.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.