Prediction time: Will the Sabres make a major trade in the next 48 hours?

nfreeman

Will we have some action?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Sabres trade Kane before the end of the weekend?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Sabres trade Reinhart before the end of the weekend?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will the Sabres make a trade not involving Kane or Reino that most here will deem "major" before the end of the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

I think Reinhart gets more of a bridge deal while Jack will get a 6 or 7 year extension. 

and Reinhart is still in that deal in 2-3 years. He has 1 year left on his current deal, he isn't signing a 1 year deal. 

I don't get the love for Reinhart. So he has a great hockey IQ...take away his PP points the first two years and he is a 30 point per year player who gives you nothing else. No speed or toughness.

I didn't like the pick when we drafter him...I liked Draisaitl better myself because he was a big winger

I don't get the love for Reinhart. So he has a great hockey IQ...take away his PP points the first two years and he is a 30 point per year player who gives you nothing else. No speed or toughness.

I didn't like the pick when we drafter him...I liked Draisaitl better myself because he was a big winger

He had 27 primary points last year at 5v5. Jack Eichel had 28. Guess if you take away jack Eichel's 2nd assists and PP points he is just a 30 point a year player. 

That's really interesting because during the 2014 draft Draisaitl was consistently billed as a center. Interestingly if you look at 5v5 scoring, Leon only had 13 more primary points than Sam even though he played on a team that outscored Buffalo 201 goals to Edmonton's 247. 

I think Reinhart gets more of a bridge deal while Jack will get a 6 or 7 year extension. 

Bridge deal tells all.  Uncertainty to his future development.  Get what we can get now before he proves he's JAG.

Trading Kane is probably the worst kept secret in the league.

Everyone knows that the Sabres want to unload him.

-Coming off first season over 25 goals in 6 years

-Coming off first season where he hasn't gotten into trouble during the season

-Has one year left on deal

-Wants to play in warm weather, preferable West Coast.

-Goes against the culture of what the Pegulas want in Buffalo when it comes to character and behavior.

The only way Buffalo holds onto him into next year if they really feel they have a chance to win the cup, which they don't.  Even if they hold onto him until trade deadline, the haul they will get for him will be mostly prospects or draft picks that won't make a meaningful contribution to the team for 2-3 years.  And that's praying he has another productive, injury free, and off ice incident free season.  Odds of all three happening are minimal based on his history. 

If they unload him now they can get a player who can contribute immediately and a draft pick that will be ready to play in the league a year sooner.

I'm thinking the only delay in getting the deal done is two things

1.  Driving up his value by having multiple teams bid

2.  Possibly seeing what #8 gets them before deciding what deal to take.  If we get a D at 8, they might want a goal scorer in return.  If we get Tippett, they may want a D in return.  Also understanding how soon the player they draft is NHL ready.

Besides all of that, Kane is as good as gone this summer.

Edited by dejeanerret

Trading Kane is probably the worst kept secret in the league.

Everyone knows that the Sabres want to unload him.

-Coming off first season over 25 goals in 6 years

-Coming off first season where he hasn't gotten into trouble during the season

-Has one year left on deal

-Wants to play in warm weather, preferable West Coast.

-Goes against the culture of what the Pegulas want in Buffalo when it comes to character and behavior.

The only way Buffalo holds onto him into next year if they really feel they have a chance to win the cup, which they don't.  Even if they hold onto him until trade deadline, the haul they will get for him will be mostly prospects or draft picks that won't make a meaningful contribution to the team for 2-3 years.  And that's praying he has another productive, injury free, and off ice incident free season.  Odds of all three happening are minimal based on his history. 

If they unload him now they can get a player who can contribute immediately and a draft pick that will be ready to play in the league a year sooner.

I'm thinking the only delay in getting the deal done is two things

1.  Driving up his value by having multiple teams bid

2.  Possibly seeing what #8 gets them before deciding what deal to take.  If we get a D at 8, they might want a goal scorer in return.  If we get Tippett, they may want a D in return.  Also understanding how soon the player they draft is NHL ready.

Besides all of that, Kane is as good as gone this summer.

Perfect.  Wouldn't add a word.

For the barbarians among us: prediction threads are highly informative. When there is a substantial majority on a prediction, it is almost always correct.

So if you want Kane not to be traded, you should be pleased.

For the barbarians among us: prediction threads are highly informative. When there is a substantial majority on a prediction, it is almost always correct.

So if you want Kane not to be traded, you should be pleased.

You'll have to excuse 11 this evening--he's traumatized that we drafted a player who couldn't do a pull up.

this thread was like 96 hours ago so...I still think NO. Gotta wonder if they'll make a trade at all this summer. I have a feeling there is no great offers for Kane and that in itself presents a major problem because we simply cannot afford to give him away but we also cannot afford to lose him next summer to free agency