Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Just saw this interesting thing - in the Winnipeg Carolina game today there wasn't a single commercial break during the 3rd period. The rules are that the first non-icing/goal whistle after the 14:00, 10:00, and 6:00 minute marks is when they take a commercial break but in the last 14 minutes of the game there were only six whistles, two for goals and four for icings. So no commercials at all during the third period.

I watch for stuff like that during Sabres games to get a couple second head start on doing things during commercials, and I haven't even seen them miss one break before, though there have been some tight squeezes fitting 2 in in the last 4 minutes and stuff like that. Pretty crazy.

He has 11 points when not paired with McDavid

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_production.php?chkForward=checkbox&selForward=L.ALUCIC%2CMILAN&situation=ALL&games=2017-2018%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Production&sent=go

That's just absurd. Really hope this guy can finally win a Cup

Edit: Ovechkin averages 46 goals a season, over a 13 year NHL career; that's including the lockout year (excluding it it's 47/season). He sits at 598 total career goals, 20th of all time; he turns 33 in September. He probably has 6 years, left, and maybe, what? 150 goals left in him? That would put him at 4th all time, behind only Gretzky, Howe and Jagr. He's arguably a top 5 forward of all time, and he's doing it in an era where scoring is harder than ever. It will be interesting to see if he plays a few more seasons to pass Jagr

He's not going to win a Cup, but he might break Gretzky's goal record (not point record) if he stays around long enough.

Just saw this interesting thing - in the Winnipeg Carolina game today there wasn't a single commercial break during the 3rd period. The rules are that the first non-icing/goal whistle after the 14:00, 10:00, and 6:00 minute marks is when they take a commercial break but in the last 14 minutes of the game there were only six whistles, two for goals and four for icings. So no commercials at all during the third period.

I watch for stuff like that during Sabres games to get a couple second head start on doing things during commercials, and I haven't even seen them miss one break before, though there have been some tight squeezes fitting 2 in in the last 4 minutes and stuff like that. Pretty crazy.

They also don't have commercial breaks during powerplays, but can have them before the penalty is enforced. So, they must have gone penalty free the rest of that period as well. (Obviously, that was the case, as you'd stated that there were only 6 whistles.)

Advertisers must've been ticked. :lol:

Same for people that were slow on getting their beer at the concession lines. The crowd in the concourse was probably bigger than the crowd in the seating bowl.

You know the NHL missed the mark when a large portion of its avid fan base had no idea their marquee game was taking place

I really don't get the idea that this was the NHL's or NBC's deal. It just feels like the whole thing was bought and paid for.

He's not going to win a Cup, but he might break Gretzky's goal record (not point record) if he stays around long enough.

Ovie would need 300 more goals to do that. Let's say he averages his 46 over the next 5 seasons, so 46(5) = 230. He'd then be 38, and would probably need another 5 seasons or so at 15 goals a piece. It's doable, but just really unlikely IMO

How long (wall clock) did the 3rd period take?   Normally, each period takes about 37-38 minutes.    If there were no commercial breaks and only 6 whistles (20s each?) , it must have taken only about 22 minutes?  Insane.

Ovie would need 300 more goals to do that. Let's say he averages his 46 over the next 5 seasons, so 46(5) = 230. He'd then be 38, and would probably need another 5 seasons or so at 15 goals a piece. It's doable, but just really unlikely IMO

Yea, I don't think he gets there in absolute terms. But given the scoring differences across eras, it's pretty incredible it's even a reasonable discussion to have.

How long (wall clock) did the 3rd period take?   Normally, each period takes about 37-38 minutes.    If there were no commercial breaks and only 6 whistles (20s each?) , it must have taken only about 22 minutes?  Insane.

I watched that period today. There were also two goals and a timeout, so it was about 27 mins,… mercifully. Other than the two goals, which just kinda happened, there wasn't much going on in that game. The combined offensive zone possession was painfully low.

The Hawks stars have faded to different degrees and they’ve focused on the present for so long the cap has come back to bite them.

Right now, they are a lot like the Sabres actually: inconsistent goaltending, unreliable D, and a top-heavy forward group utterly lacking in depth.

The Hawks stars have faded to different degrees and they’ve focused on the present for so long the cap has come back to bite them.

Right now, they are a lot like the Sabres actually: inconsistent goaltending, unreliable D, and a top-heavy forward group utterly lacking in depth.

The only difference is that they have 3 cups to show for it.

I think it's astounding that in recent years the Predators have lost Suter, a Norris-caliber d-man, Jones, a guy who will contend for them for the next 12 years, Hamhuis, a very good second pairing D at the time, Girard this season, a highly touted prospect who we'd kill to have, 

and still have the best defense group in the league with high end prospects like Fabbro. I wish we had Poile/their scouts.

I didn't count Weber leaving because he returned a defenseman of equal stature. 

I think it's astounding that in recent years the Predators have lost Suter, a Norris-caliber d-man, Jones, a guy who will contend for them for the next 12 years, Hamhuis, a very good second pairing D at the time, Girard this season, a highly touted prospect who we'd kill to have, 

and still have the best defense group in the league with high end prospects like Fabbro. I wish we had Poile/their scouts.

I didn't count Weber leaving because he returned a defenseman of equal stature. 

*greater stature ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.