Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

If you don't include Stanley yea. Again they aren't bad at drafting.

Ya, I mean, Scheifele, Ehlers, Laine, Connor and probably Trouba look to be great picks. And only Laine was a no-brainer. I remember there being a decent outcry here when Scheifele was drafted, with Couturier still on the board. I liked the pick at the time.

Jury out on Morrissey and Roslovic, but Stanley seems to be the only bust of a pick.

I mean realistically we can't judge Stanley yet but that wasn't a good pick. They wanted a defender I think and so they took the biggest one in the general area. Still better than when Boston took Zachary Senyshyn over Barzal, Connor, Boeser, Konecny,Aho and Carlo. 

It was confirmed on Thursday morning that Teravainen has inked a two-year extension with the club, worth $2.86 million per season. Once the deal expires, the Finnish-born skater will become a restricted free agent once again.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/teuvo-teravainen-inks-two-year-extension-hurricanes/

“So again, I think that he’s appropriately on our Trade Bait list where he should be because that’s exactly what the Montreal Canadiens are using him as right now – trade bait. I’m curious to see what the return would have to be. If we look at Colorado, is it Matt Duchene. And is it a one-for-one. Galchenyuk is obviously bit younger. Is it Galchenyuk and something. Is it Duchene and something. I don’t know.

“I just know that the Montreal Canadiens need offense, so if you’re pushing out an offensive piece, what you’re getting back in return has got to be better than what you just gave up.”

“There’s teams with interest in Galchenyuk, as there should be,” said Dreger. “I mean, it was suggested to me that the Pittsburgh Penguins might have interest. And I don’t know what the Pittsburgh Penguins would have that would make sense to Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens, but I can appreciate why the Pens would have interest in Galchenyuk when you look at their pending unrestricted free agent list. The look of the Pittsburgh Penguins is going to be much different next year just naturally with their UFAs and their restricted free agents.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/dreger-know-bergevin-listening-interest-galchenyuk/

Edited by WildCard

Holy ######

The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).

Wow. Huge deal.

So Drouin buys you a defensive prospect (Albeit, a very good one).

It's unlikely Kane (and maybe even Reinhart) is going to fetch us a return I'd be ok with.

I would have thought Drouin was worth more. I guess this shows the increasing value of defensemen and defensive prospects. It should start to skew the draft values of defensive prospects I would expect.

Agreed. D at 8 or bust.

It also brings up an interesting question. Sergachev was drafted #9 last year so we definitely could have had him instead of Nylander. One year later, would you rather have Nylander, Sergachev, or Drouin? I'd rather have Drouin or Sergachev and likely Drouin. Imagine having him playing with Eichel now instead of having to wait for Nylander to develop.

Edited by Drunkard

I would have thought Drouin was worth more. I guess this shows the increasing value of defensemen and defensive prospects. It should start to skew the draft values of defensive prospects I would expect.

I could have sworn the rumor was Galcenyuk going the other way earlier this morning. Odd. MTL wins this one.

Holy ######

The Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin + a cond. 6th-round pick (2018) from TBL, in return for M. Sergachev + a cond. 2nd-round pick (2018).

Wow, that is an absurd deal for Montreal

That means Galchenyuck is definitely moving somewhere. I'd put money on a Duchene <=> Galchenyuck swap

Salary cap and ethnicity played a role.

But Drouin is overrated by most fans.

I'd say his value with many GMs would be roughly equal to Sam's.

So I'll keep Sam.

Right. At best we get a Sergachev level D man for Sam. Please don't trade Sam.

Wow. Huge deal.

So Drouin buys you a defensive prospect (Albeit, a very good one).

It's unlikely Kane (and maybe even Reinhart) is going to fetch us a return I'd be ok with.

Reinhart is on par with Drouin, actually I like Samson more. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.